How to minimally sync ipad to my iPhone itunes library

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I have a +-40gb itunes library that I sync my iPhone to, and I want to sync my 16gb ipad 4 to it - but minimally so, of course; just apps, contacts, mail accounts, etc. how do i do this? And how do I back it up?

When I connect the ipad to itunes it asks if I want to sync, which I can't do due to limited capacity. But if I uncheck all the music, for example, and sync, and then connect my iPhone and recheck the music, won't it want to resync all the music from scratch?

And then, how do I back up the ipad? If I minimally sync it and back it up, then it changes the back up for my iPhone.

I may not understand what I'm concerned about. I guess I just want to be able to minimally sync the ipad and back it up.

Is there a way to do this other than creating a new user account in windows 8 and having a totally separate itunes setup for the ipad?

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
NOTE: Unless you plan on reinstalling non-updated apps and stuff, there's really no need to sync with iTunes, but it is a good idea to have an iTunes backup.
as well as iCloud backups to restore to in case you need to or in case you want to set up a new device in the same manner you had your old one set up.

1. When you connect your iPad to your computer and initiate the iTunes app, go to the summary tab, scroll down and then select "Manually manage music & videos".
2. Under the "Backups" section, choose to backup to "This Computer" and then select "Backup Now" to back up your device.

tikchowdhurry

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
But I want to sync to get mail and contacts and apps............no music....how do I do that, without altering the setup for my fone? And if I backup the ipad, won't it overwrite the backup I have for my fone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
But I want to sync to get mail and contacts and apps............no music....how do I do that, without altering the setup for my fone? And if I backup the ipad, won't it overwrite the backup I have for my fone?

It shouldn't. Your iPad stuff should not auto sync to your iPhone and vice versa. iTunes will display all apps and stuff associated with all synced devices but will also keep the individual syncs separate. Backup your device, if you're worried. If something somehow gets overwritten, you can always restore your device to exactly the way it was with the backup you just made.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro