Slow/Choppy Transitions on iPad 4

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I am hoping someone here can help me out or at least confirm that I'm not crazy. :)

One of the things I absolutely love out iOS is how smooth everything is. There is a polish there that I can't get on android as of now (Although 4.1+ is VASTLY improved on this front). I have an iPhone 5 and recently sold my iPad Mini for an iPad 4th gen. I noticed the slow, choppy transitions and scrolling on the iPad mini but I chalked that up to being based on the 2 year old A5 processor. I figured by upgrading to an A6X based iPad 4 these would be smoothed out. Much to my dismay its not any better and in fact, its been worse than my iPad Mini. Using the 4 finger swipe to bounce between app (something I do frequently for work) is very chunky and takes a good 5 seconds to really start up. When I switch between say Safari and move to Evernote to leave a note Evernote will miss the first 5 to 10 letters I type. Also transitions when clicking on links and the like look very rough.

Is this an issue with all iPad 4s? Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

Thanks for the help all.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPad 2 doesn't even do the things you are describing. Could it be memory-related? Do you have Facebook & Twitter notifications set to push to your device as well as all of your email accounts, if applicable? Are you almost out of disk space? Are you running the latest iOS version?

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
My iPad 2 doesn't even do the things you are describing. Could it be memory-related? Do you have Facebook & Twitter notifications set to push to your device as well as all of your email accounts, if applicable? Are you almost out of disk space? Are you running the latest iOS version?

I have a bunch of push notifications going. I am on the latest version of iOS and all my apps are updated. But I was down to about 1 GB of space. I deleted a few things and ill see if that helps. Thanks.

Unreal.images

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
It could be a heat issue. Did you check the back of the iPad? I know sometimes it can be choppy when my iPad starts to over heat a little.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Try killing all apps and give it a hard reset holding home and power .. It will free memory and every now and then the os just needs a restart

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

soundbud

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Same here! Ipad 4th gen loved it for the last 12 months, amazingly smooth 100's of apps open with almost 60gb of videos and pictures worked flawlessly in ios6

Installed ios 7 last week and it's exactly the same as the original posters, RUBBISH!

Oh yeh just like to add that its working jerky scrolling with almost the entire 64gb flash drive free and with hardly any apps installed, done a fresh installation and no apps open! Very bad! Not only is it jerky with safari but also other browsers that I use too.

It should not be this way, i do like a lot of the user interface of ios 7 but if it's not going to work as good I definitely prefer ios 6 because of much better performance.

There's an old saying: if ain't broke, don't fix it.

In this case apple as done a terrible thing allowing this ios out on the market.

I still have another 12 months left of my contract, if it's not fixed there's no way I will be buying another apple device.

Also like to say some userbility issues have been worsened and not very well thought out compared to ios 6

Searching for text on the page now requires 3 clicks in ios 7. Only 2 clicks on ios6 and it was far better way of searching for text on the ipad.

Also prefer the two boxes showing the complete URL and the search box in ios 6 on ipad, perhaps ios7 is more suited to iPhones, where this is possibly better.

I got loads of gripes actually but no time to fill it all out now.

Calkid44

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
IOS 7 sucks severe ***, why did Apple give you a solid bar and take up part of the screen rather than leaving the 3D bar? Wallpapers aren't able to fit within your device like they did on IOS 6, wish I could rewind the clock and go back, I hate IOS 7, my iPad 4 has had nothing but issues, it has slowed it down performance wise, they have replaced my device 4 times since the new update. What's the point of Pan and Scan in your picks if it doesn't do anything? I've also noticed that with IOS 7 it eats up more battery usage. I've done more restore as new on this IOS 7 crap than one should have to in order for it to be somewhat right. I wish there was a way of getting back your IOS 6. Apple needs to uncork their heads out of their A-hole and wake the heck up! One pissed off customer

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro