Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
i've had

iPad
iPad 2
iPad 3
iPad mini

sold my 1, 2, and third and got the mini

size is a lot better, even though it's not as quick and the screen isn't as pretty.

akdj

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My personal iPad---are the 4th gen 64GB/AT&T, as well as the Mini64/AT&T (I had shoulder surgery a week before it released, my wife got it for me as a gift because I was unable to 'hold' my '4' for any period of time...what a killer gift! I love the 'mini', as well as the '4' (Originally had a '3' and sold it for the update to the 4). My wife didn't care for the 3 when I had it and is still extremely happy with her 2nd ten 32GB WiFi. Our 8 year old son has inherited our first gen 32GB model, still running and maintaining a charge almost as well as day one. Pretty awesome!!!
As well--I run (and have for 22 year) a mobile entertainment (audio/visual/lighting) company. We started in the 80s hauling crates of records/vinyl in for each show. Computers have obviously revolutionized the industry and digital distribution, wireless tethering and the ability to have any song, any time, (almost) anywhere. Next weekend (I'm in Alaska) will kind of represent the final weekend of our summer wedding season (90% of the weddings we do are in the summer...between May 1 and Aug 15)....which makes sense. In twenty years, things have not only changed the way we play and source our music...but the ratio of folks choosing to do their ceremony and reception together vs. the 'traditional' church wedding. When I started 20 years ago, maybe 1 or 2 out of 15 weddings we did the two together...these days, 7 or 8 of 10 are both. The iPad has revolutionized the 'ceremony' portion of the 'setup' for us. Instead of bringing a full system and computer, we now use iPads as the source/iPod as back up (typically only three songs are played...processional, the bridal march and the recessional)...along with the Alesis iPad dock which allows for XLR out/input, RCA----MIDI, the works! It's amazing and only a couple hundred dollar dock. With a pair of active speakers and a lavaliere mic or three...it's less than a hundred pounds to set up, sounds professional, is discreet and doesn't end up in photographer 'shots'----and SO much of this is attributed to the iPad and it's associated peripherals from 3rd parties. I can't believe the transformation in our business model provided by the iPad. With the business...because Alesis hasn't updated the dock to the lightning connector, we're using 4 iPad 3s (we do several weddings each Saturday).
I honestly didn't mean to get this long winded...but it is cool to see more participation in this pole, see how folks use their iPads and justification or lack of;) for owning multiple iPads. In our family, our iPads individually are very 'personal' devices. It's kinda cool each of us have our own...and since my surgery recovery---the mini has become our go to iPad for the road trips to our cabin, take it out when we need it for games to entertain our son on longer road trips...navigation (it's easier to see and use than the iPhone), etc.

I should mention---we don't (yet) use iPads as our 'main' system sources. For our reception rigs, we're using iMacs for Traktor (or Serato for two of us) and the rMBPs as our DMX lighting control. However....we absolutely DO have iPads as a redundancy in the case of a s system crash! Pretty cool not having to carry a box of 300 compilation CDs in the case of a computer failure. Again, just another incredible benefit from a device three years ago I had no idea that I needed :)

Thanks for the poll! Would be awesome to see more participation, agreed...and throughout the forum. It just seems a friendlier, 'Mac-ier' place in comparison to some other 'popular' Mac forums that have become infiltrated by folks that argue to argue...continue to disrupt genuine and helpful discussions by bringing the S4 or the latest build of ICS into the equation when it's irrelevant. I've become a big fan of iMore...and Rene's writing and podcasts.

J

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
First generation iPad, 64GB cellular (AT&T), which I generally don't use, and iPad Gen 3, also 64GB and cellular (AT&T). If Apple releases a retina mini, I'll get one of those, but otherwise am very happy with my iPad 3.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2