Returning to Apple after decades away (1992...yeah, long time). The landscape changed and going to buy a iPad Retina, but here's what I don't understand.

Apple wants about $100 for 16GB. Why doesn't everyone buy the 16GB machine and use a Lightning to SD reader? This must be a bad idea. Why?
    04-15-2013 01:29 AM
    Honestly, I haven't tried it. But your question is along the lines of "Skittles cost $0.70 at Walmart and $1.50 at the gas station around the corner from Walmart. Why aren't people boycotting the gas station's prices?"

There's a bit of convenience, assuming the reader would work as you expect. I'm not sure how nicely the native apps get along with music/movies/etc on the sd card. The cost of your solution is ~$40. In order to get the full use of your iPad, you'll be carrying around the cord rather than just the iPad. It's a little less sleek that way. A lot of people buy the Apple products for the pretty factor.

Before you buy, you should talk to someone in the Apple store to see how viable your solution is. That'll do more for you than anyone here guessing =/ I've never seen someone try, so I'm not sure you'll find much luck asking.
    04-15-2013 04:37 AM
    Got it, natasftw. Funny analogy. I wouldn't want to carry around an iPad with a tail. There's always various cloud solutions available for data files, so most people must be doing that. Still I cannot imagine running an application from the cloud. It may be workable, however, to store movies on an SD and run them from there.

A better question I should have asked is: How many GB are iPad users using for vital applications?

Guessing most iPads are about 50 GB on average with heavy music/movie users approaching double that. Your recommendation on talking with Apple store people is a good one. Thanks. I will ask the better question.
    04-15-2013 11:17 AM
    Because that Apple Accessory isn't a generic SD Card reader - it's a "Camera Card/camera connection kit". iOS and apps other than the camera and image processing apps are not written to make use of external storage. It's not a bug... it's a feature.
    04-15-2013 11:22 AM
    I'd doubt the average ipad user is using 50GB because I believe the 16GB iPad is the top seller.

On the other hand a power/advanced user probably has the 64 or 128 GB iPad. I have the 64 GB and it is primarily full of apps. Music I use iTunes Match and I have video stored in the cloud or on a wifi enabled external hard drive.

And as said above, you cannot use an SD card for apps or other random media. It's really only for transferring photos to the iPad. There may be jailbreak apps that do something else with it, so you could ask in that forum.
    04-15-2013 12:56 PM