What eats up YOUR storage space (deciding on what size to get myself)?

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Simple question: Looking to get an iPad, deciding between 16GB and 32GB. I like to future proof myself, but I'm curious that for those who have the larger storage versions, what actually is taking up all that space? Music? Massive high end games? Lots of movies from iTunes and outside sources? For those of you who are actually using the higher storage amounts, what eats up your space?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
High def video of TV shows or movies... a 1080p TV show will be roughly 1.75GB for a 45 minute episode...

My 32GB iPad has the most recent episodes of my iTunes season pass tv shows... a couple movies, 20 Warner bros. cartoons... 705 songs... 90 apps and their data... and I still have 4gb free space.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
High def video of TV shows or movies... a 1080p TV show will be roughly 1.75GB for a 45 minute episode...

My 32GB iPad has the most recent episodes of my iTunes season pass tv shows... a couple movies, 20 Warner bros. cartoons... 705 songs... 90 apps and their data... and I still have 4gb free space.

So in a nutshell, would you say that iTunes content (songs/movies/TV shows) takes up the bulk of your storage? I don't really have that much content not in the form of apps for me to worry about, so maybe 16GB would be sufficient for me. Then again, maybe I could start getting that content soon. Who knows.

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
My phone seems like video and pictures take up most of the space. If your a camera nut I recommend at least 32 gb if not 64. My 16 GB seems to fill up with 15 minutes of 1080p video. Just a thought if I knew what I know now in would have splurged and bought the largest size I could afford. Would hate to see someone else make the same mistake and possibly ruin the experience for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
seeing iPhones with 8 gigs I never really gave it a thought getting the 16G i5 but am now wishing I did my homework and factored in big pixel camera and HD video as well as overweight apps

I would have gotten the 64 which I found to have a better read rate as well as SPACE

Yell0w

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Real racing 3 takes up 1.8GB, the games are what takes up the most space for me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I find videos and games take up the most space on mine. Since the jump to retina, apps have started taking up more room as well, which doesn't help. Unless you don't have a lot of content, or don't mind doing a lot of managing, I'd suggest going with at least a 32GB. I actually started out with a 32GB, but found that I didn't have much wiggle room and was constantly having to manage the content on my iPad, so I exchanged it for a 64GB. I manage to keep around 4-8GB free with that one.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Simple question: Looking to get an iPad, deciding between 16GB and 32GB. I like to future proof myself, but I'm curious that for those who have the larger storage versions, what actually is taking up all that space? Music? Massive high end games? Lots of movies from iTunes and outside sources? For those of you who are actually using the higher storage amounts, what eats up your space?

For me it would be apps. But it depends on what you do with your phone. I don't watch videos on mine so the biggest user of space never makes it onto my phone anyway. I like to have a lot of extra room for taking my own photos and videos. I keep only a few GB of music stored on mine too and mostly use streaming services.

Even though I currently only have 7GB filled I will not buy anything with less than 32GB of storage.

iandrewj

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I debated the storage capacity when buying the iPad 4. My first question is: do I need all of my files all of the time on this device? After thinking about that for a minute I decided: no. At home I have 2x 3TB network drives that are essentially mirrored. They can be accessed at any time to get any file I want either locally or if needed remotely. Streaming music, viewing photos, etc. while at home is not an issue. Right now I have 10/16GB left, plenty of room for growth. My iPad is also replacing a laptop, I just don't need a full sized bloated OS anymore.

Ben_Trovato

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I've always gone 32gb on iPads. Roughly half is for movies.. I keep music on dropbox instead of on the device itself. Everyone is different but I could get away with a 16gb for apps only but I like to use it for movies.

tazz007

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Iam in the same boat.16 or 32 gig.i dont play games and if i listen to music its on
YouTube iam not a picture taker lol i just use it for surf the net and eamils youtube i do have a 32 gig android tablet and i never downloaded any apps expcet moive data base.i have 27 gigs free space lol but here is a question how many gigs does ios 6 take up and how much space does i tunes take up.

jd6102

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I've had every iPhone since it came out and I always bought the smallest 4 gig or 16 gig. But since the 4s I got the 32gig and now on the 5 I have the 64 gig. And that's what I'll do from now on. I will buy the biggest memory there is. I love having tons of pictures and music on my phone. With the bigger memory I can put videos and movies on the phone without worrying about it.