MacBook Air or iPad

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
An ipad isnt a replacement for a laptop. Regardless if you've been using it as such for the last few years, if you get an air (a real laptop) and use it you'll be amazed at how much better it is than the ipad.

I honestly cannot think of any reason why it would be better for you to get an ipad over the air. the air runs OSX etc. As far as portability goes, the air is crazy portable

I agree, but Karen is right. The OP has not stated that not having a laptop has impeded him in any way and with that, getting another iPad may be more beneficial. From a personal standpoint, I'd get the MacBook Air as well as keep the iPad and have the best of both worlds.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If all you're doing is surfing the web, reading email, and playing the occasional game, upgrade your iPad. If you've been happy with your iPad and haven't missed using a computer, stick with it. I can't get by without a real computer - too many limitations of iOS for what I do.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If all you're doing is surfing the web, reading email, and playing the occasional game, upgrade your iPad. If you've been happy with your iPad and haven't missed using a computer, stick with it. I can't get by without a real computer - too many limitations of iOS for what I do.

You say that iOS has limitations. What are these?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Flash content and filling out forms can be big issues on iOS. Also, formatting word documents or PDF's is not too easy. Working in excel is nearly impossible on the iPad. Saving files and accessing these files is much harder on ios. You must open files in specific apps and cant directly access the file system. These are a few of the big ones.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Flash content and filling out forms can be big issues on iOS. Also, formatting word documents or PDF's is not too easy. Working in excel is nearly impossible on the iPad. Saving files and accessing these files is much harder on ios. You must open files in specific apps and cant directly access the file system. These are a few of the big ones.

Thanks.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

You can't upload files to the majority of websites. You can't record and edit a podcast. You can't use many websites that aren't optimized for iOS - in my case that means that while I can take attendance on my iPad while standing in my classroom door, I can't enter grades in the same web-based program.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I will mostly use one of the other for home use. So if it would be mainly for web browsing, picture editing,emails, things like that. My kids and my wife will be using it too.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Mac. Actually, I don't have a laptop period. I have been using the iPad as a laptop replacement the last couple of years.

But If you have been using your iPad as a laptop replacement so far w/o any issue why are you thinking of getting a laptop? I'd go for the iPad 4 unless there's something you really need to do on a daily basis that can't be accomplished with the iPad.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
But If you have been using your iPad as a laptop replacement so far w/o any issue why are you thinking of getting a laptop? I'd go for the iPad 4 unless there's something you really need to do on a daily basis that can't be accomplished with the iPad.

I was thinking of getting a MacBook because having an iPad and an iPhone seems to be redundant at times. I was thinking that the MacBook Air would provide a different experience. Plus I miss the laptop keyboard. I had been saving up for the MacBook but then started to think twice about it seeing as though I have used an iPad for so long and have managed.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If its going to be for home use and multiple people, I would sorta suggest going with the 21" iMac. It is a bit more expensive though. Or perhaps a Mac mini and monitor which together wouldn't be anymore than the 128 iPad. You lose the ability to use it on the couch like an iPad or laptop though. To me my iPad and laptop are personal devices and a desktop computer is for sharing.

That's what I was thinking too sorta.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well Dwayne taking into account all you have said and that you have not decided yet, why don't you go ahead get the MBA that you have been saving for, but also keep your iPad, that way everyone in your house would be covered. I personally think that nowadays it's not that easy to have just one device for the whole family. Go to an apple store and play with it some more that would also help you make your mind.
I'm sure that either way you won't regret your purchase, but if you do you have the grace period (if I'm not wrong) :)

johnsmith02

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
iPads cannot be used to watch a DVD or to burn CDs, also they are limited in terms of multitasking or doing any sort of work that requires a lot of processing power. Editing videos for example is an area where an iPad would struggle, but a MacBook would excel. Even word processing on am iPad is a chore - you'd probably want a hardware keyboard, for a start.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I was looking on the Apple website and I notices that the 13 inch MacBook Air and the 13 inch MacBook Pro were comparable in price but the pro has more storage. Is the thinness of the MacBook Air the only reason to get it over the pro?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I was looking on the Apple website and I notices that the 13 inch MacBook Air and the 13 inch MacBook Pro were comparable in price but the pro has more storage. Is the thinness of the MacBook Air the only reason to get it over the pro?

Pretty much. Everything about the Pro is superior to the Air, with the exception of size and weight. Plus, the 13" Pro is extremely portable. For the money, the Pro would be the best option, unless you need that extreme thinness and weight of the Air.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a few more questions about the MacBook. Does it play HD movies through iTunes? Will I be able to read my iBooks on it?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a few more questions about the MacBook. Does it play HD movies through iTunes? Will I be able to read my iBooks on it?

Yes to HD movies. If you purchased them on iTunes you can download or stream them just fine. If you have DVD's, you can copy them into iTunes and watch them there.

As far as iBooks, not yet. Apple is working on a Mac app that should be available sometime this year when they upgrade either the iBooks or Macs.

tobias_i_d

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes to HD movies. If you purchased them on iTunes you can download or stream them just fine. If you have DVD's, you can copy them into iTunes and watch them there.

And how do you copy a DVD to itunes and watch them there? You mean by ripping the movie using itunes?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR