MacBook Air or iPad

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Was thinking about buying a new device , either a MacBook Air or the new retina iPad. Was wondering if anyone had both and could share which they would choose if they could only have one. I already have an iPad 2. But I would be selling that to absorb the cost of the new device. I was really digging the idea of getting the 128 GB iPad.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Was thinking about buying a new device , either a MacBook Air or the new retina iPad. Was wondering if anyone had both and could share which they would choose if they could only have one. I already have an iPad 2. But I would be selling that to absorb the cost of the new device. I was really digging the idea of getting the 128 GB iPad.

I have an iPad2 and an MacBookAir and love them both.
Can't comment on the new retina iPad

Good Luck.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm still trying to decide. I was thinking that I could get the iPad and then buy a Bluetooth keyboard case to go with. But I have always wanted a MacBook Air.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm still trying to decide. I was thinking that I could get the iPad and then buy a Bluetooth keyboard case to go with. But I have always wanted a MacBook Air.

Do you have a MacBook Pro or iMac already? If so, get the iPad and keyboard case. If not, get the Air. There are some things you can't do on an iPad and you'll be thankful you got the Air, that is unless you already have a good Mac for the rare occasion your iPad can't handle something.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't have a Mac. Actually, I don't have a laptop period. I have been using the iPad as a laptop replacement the last couple of years.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have both the MBA & Ipad 4 and love them both. I agree with the above poster. If you don't have a laptop/desktop then go with the Air for now. Although for me, I use my iPad more than the MBA. It goes everywhere with me and handles most of what I need. Before I bought the Air I was without a laptop for a couple of weeks and I was fine with just my iPad.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Mac. Actually, I don't have a laptop period. I have been using the iPad as a laptop replacement the last couple of years.

I would recommend the Air. There may be certain occasions you'll need the capabilities of the full laptop. I've had to use my laptop for some job applications lately because they wouldn't work on the iPad. Just something to think about.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend the Air. There may be certain occasions you'll need the capabilities of the full laptop. I've had to use my laptop for some job applications lately because they wouldn't work on the iPad. Just something to think about.

Does the MacBook Air have a retina display?

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Does the MacBook Air have a retina display?

Not yet. It has the same high quality display found on the MacBook Pro, just not quite retina. I doubt you'll notice a difference in daily use. I skipped on retina cause to me it's not worth the extra couple hundred bucks for a pretty screen you won't notice 90% of the time.

The rumor is that the new Air coming this year will have retina, but its unconfirmed and will most likely add a huge chunk to the price.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
As said, there may be certain occasions you'll need the capabilities of the full laptop, but if you always do things like check e-mails, simple office work, no need Photoshop or large system, then you could turn to the iPad, it's most portable that can go everywhere with you.

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Give me some more examples as to how the MacBook Air presents itself more capable than the iPad. I like the thought of having a physical keyboard. I'm good at the virtual keyboard on the iPad, but still no where near as good as when I'm using a physical keyboard, but then again I could always get a keyboard case to address that. That's about as far as I get.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Give me some more examples as to how the MacBook Air presents itself more capable than the iPad. I like the thought of having a physical keyboard. I'm good at the virtual keyboard on the iPad, but still no where near as good as when I'm using a physical keyboard, but then again I could always get a keyboard case to address that. That's about as far as I get.

Flash websites and filling out online forms are two places the Air beats the iPad. There are many online forms I've needed to fill out and couldn't do on iOS because of its limitations. There are also lots of websites that still use flash. If you ever need to do anything on a government website, apply for jobs, or play flash games, you'll be out of luck on an iPad.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

When I initially purchased my iPad 2, I was wondering if it would be enough to replace my MacBook. I didn't think it would and I proved to right in my regard.

1. The MacBook's Keyboard & display are connected as one unit whereas the iPad and Bluetooth keyboard are two individual units.
2. Web browsing with the MacBook is what I consider normal whereas with the iPad, the default browsing mode is set to mobile. Even after changing it to desktop mode, some sites will still load their site for mobile use.
3. With my MacBook, I can connect my device to the internet via network cable. Yes, I can use my Wi-Fi, but sometimes I just don't want to. With my iPad, I have to use Wi-Fi to access the internet.
4. Sometimes I just want to use my mouse pad to maneuver around a web page instead of greasing up my iPad display.
5. I like the convenience of a hard drive and not have to worry about an app that will let me save stuff on my iPad.

Of course, that's Just Me, D....:D

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
When I initially purchased my iPad 2, I was wondering if it would be enough to replace my MacBook. I didn't think it would and I proved to right in my regard.

1. The MacBook's Keyboard & display are connected as one unit whereas the iPad and Bluetooth keyboard are two individual units.
2. Web browsing with the MacBook is what I consider normal whereas with the iPad, the default browsing mode is set to mobile. Even after changing it to desktop mode, some sites will still load their site for mobile use.
3. With my MacBook, I can connect my device to the internet via network cable. Yes, I can use my Wi-Fi, but sometimes I just don't want to. With my iPad, I have to use Wi-Fi to access the internet.
4. Sometimes I just want to use my mouse pad to maneuver around a web page instead of greasing up my iPad display.
5. I like the convenience of a hard drive and not have to worry about an app that will let me save stuff on my iPad.

Of course, that's Just Me, D....:D

Yes. These are some really great and compelling reasons. I know I would personally never give up my Mac for just an iPad.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes. These are some really great and compelling reasons. I know I would personally never give up my Mac for just an iPad.

I'm with you and that is why I have both. Also, my daughter, although she has her own little netbook that she thought was 'cute', she often does her schoolwork on my MacBook. I have both iWorks and MS Office installed and I will not re-purchase those programs just to have on my iPad.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree that I wouldn't, but the OP has been using an iPad 2 as his exclusive computing device for over a year. In that regard just upgrading the iPad may be a better choice than going with the Air unless he needs the additional functionality provided.

Oh, I agree, Karen.

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
An ipad isnt a replacement for a laptop. Regardless if you've been using it as such for the last few years, if you get an air (a real laptop) and use it you'll be amazed at how much better it is than the ipad.

I honestly cannot think of any reason why it would be better for you to get an ipad over the air. the air runs OSX etc. As far as portability goes, the air is crazy portable

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73