You say that iOS has limitations. What are these?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Flash content and filling out forms can be big issues on iOS. Also, formatting word documents or PDF's is not too easy. Working in excel is nearly impossible on the iPad. Saving files and accessing these files is much harder on ios. You must open files in specific apps and cant directly access the file system. These are a few of the big ones.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    03-15-2013 08:26 PM
    Flash content and filling out forms can be big issues on iOS. Also, formatting word documents or PDF's is not too easy. Working in excel is nearly impossible on the iPad. Saving files and accessing these files is much harder on ios. You must open files in specific apps and cant directly access the file system. These are a few of the big ones.

Thanks.

03-15-2013 08:52 PM
    You say that iOS has limitations. What are these?

You can't upload files to the majority of websites. You can't record and edit a podcast. You can't use many websites that aren't optimized for iOS - in my case that means that while I can take attendance on my iPad while standing in my classroom door, I can't enter grades in the same web-based program.
    03-16-2013 10:23 AM
    But if the OP hasn't run into those limitations in 2 years of only having an iPad, then he probably won't in the future unless something changes where he needs those features.
    03-16-2013 10:31 AM
    I will mostly use one of the other for home use. So if it would be mainly for web browsing, picture editing,emails, things like that. My kids and my wife will be using it too.

03-16-2013 10:49 AM
    But if the OP hasn't run into those limitations in 2 years of only having an iPad, then he probably won't in the future unless something changes where he needs those features.
    Exactly!
    03-16-2013 09:13 PM
    I don't have a Mac. Actually, I don't have a laptop period. I have been using the iPad as a laptop replacement the last couple of years.

But If you have been using your iPad as a laptop replacement so far w/o any issue why are you thinking of getting a laptop? I'd go for the iPad 4 unless there's something you really need to do on a daily basis that can't be accomplished with the iPad.
    03-16-2013 11:03 PM
    But If you have been using your iPad as a laptop replacement so far w/o any issue why are you thinking of getting a laptop? I'd go for the iPad 4 unless there's something you really need to do on a daily basis that can't be accomplished with the iPad.
    I was thinking of getting a MacBook because having an iPad and an iPhone seems to be redundant at times. I was thinking that the MacBook Air would provide a different experience. Plus I miss the laptop keyboard. I had been saving up for the MacBook but then started to think twice about it seeing as though I have used an iPad for so long and have managed.

03-17-2013 05:21 AM
    I will mostly use one of the other for home use. So if it would be mainly for web browsing, picture editing,emails, things like that. My kids and my wife will be using it too.

If its going to be for home use and multiple people, I would sorta suggest going with the 21" iMac. It is a bit more expensive though. Or perhaps a Mac mini and monitor which together wouldn't be anymore than the 128 iPad. You lose the ability to use it on the couch like an iPad or laptop though. To me my iPad and laptop are personal devices and a desktop computer is for sharing.
    03-17-2013 09:09 AM
    If its going to be for home use and multiple people, I would sorta suggest going with the 21" iMac. It is a bit more expensive though. Or perhaps a Mac mini and monitor which together wouldn't be anymore than the 128 iPad. You lose the ability to use it on the couch like an iPad or laptop though. To me my iPad and laptop are personal devices and a desktop computer is for sharing.
    That's what I was thinking too sorta.

03-17-2013 10:13 AM
    Well Dwayne taking into account all you have said and that you have not decided yet, why don't you go ahead get the MBA that you have been saving for, but also keep your iPad, that way everyone in your house would be covered. I personally think that nowadays it's not that easy to have just one device for the whole family. Go to an apple store and play with it some more that would also help you make your mind.
    I'm sure that either way you won't regret your purchase, but if you do you have the grace period (if I'm not wrong)
    03-18-2013 01:14 AM
    iPads cannot be used to watch a DVD or to burn CDs, also they are limited in terms of multitasking or doing any sort of work that requires a lot of processing power. Editing videos for example is an area where an iPad would struggle, but a MacBook would excel. Even word processing on am iPad is a chore - you'd probably want a hardware keyboard, for a start.
    03-18-2013 08:38 AM
    I was looking on the Apple website and I notices that the 13 inch MacBook Air and the 13 inch MacBook Pro were comparable in price but the pro has more storage. Is the thinness of the MacBook Air the only reason to get it over the pro?

03-18-2013 02:07 PM
    I was looking on the Apple website and I notices that the 13 inch MacBook Air and the 13 inch MacBook Pro were comparable in price but the pro has more storage. Is the thinness of the MacBook Air the only reason to get it over the pro?

Pretty much. Everything about the Pro is superior to the Air, with the exception of size and weight. Plus, the 13" Pro is extremely portable. For the money, the Pro would be the best option, unless you need that extreme thinness and weight of the Air.

03-18-2013 03:35 PM
    I have a few more questions about the MacBook. Does it play HD movies through iTunes? Will I be able to read my iBooks on it?

03-18-2013 07:07 PM
    I have a few more questions about the MacBook. Does it play HD movies through iTunes? Will I be able to read my iBooks on it?

Nope and nope.
    03-18-2013 07:40 PM
    Nope and nope.
    That's unfortunate.

03-18-2013 07:43 PM

Are they HD movies you've purchased through iTunes? Then, yes.

Movies that you've ripped on another computer in an iTunes compatible format, yes.

Blu-ray DVD, no because the
    MacBook only has a DVD player. However, you can get external Blu-ray drives that connect via USB and the appropriate drivers and that would play them.
    03-18-2013 07:54 PM

Yes to HD movies. If you purchased them on iTunes you can download or stream them just fine. If you have DVD's, you can copy them into iTunes and watch them there.

As far as iBooks, not yet. Apple is working on a Mac app that should be available sometime this year when they upgrade either the iBooks or Macs.

03-18-2013 08:24 PM
    Yes to HD movies. If you purchased them on iTunes you can download or stream them just fine. If you have DVD's, you can copy them into iTunes and watch them there.
    And how do you copy a DVD to itunes and watch them there? You mean by ripping the movie using itunes?
    03-18-2013 09:01 PM
    And how do you copy a DVD to itunes and watch them there? You mean by ripping the movie using itunes?
    Yeah. You use a program like Handbrake, or one of the many other ripping programs, to copy it to your computer. Then import that into iTunes. From there, you can watch it on your computer, stream it to your Apple TV, or sync it onto your iDevices.

03-18-2013 09:03 PM
    Yeah. You use a program like Handbrake, or one of the many other ripping programs, to copy it to your computer. Then import that into iTunes. From there, you can watch it on your computer, stream it to your Apple TV, or sync it onto your iDevices.

I wouldn't be interested in ripping CDs and DVDs. I just want to be able to watch the HD movies I've purchased on iTunes and perhaps read some of my books. One of the reasons I wanted to get a MacBook is that the iPad is starting to feel a little redundant because I have an iPhone.

03-19-2013 10:12 AM
    I wouldn't be interested in ripping CDs and DVDs. I just want to be able to watch the HD movies I've purchased on iTunes and perhaps read some of my books. One of the reasons I wanted to get a MacBook is that the iPad is starting to feel a little redundant because I have an iPhone.

Well you can definitely watch your HD movies. I can confirm that they are working on iBooks for Mac and should be coming this year.

03-19-2013 10:16 AM
    Well you can definitely watch your HD movies. I can confirm that they are working on iBooks for Mac and should be coming this year.

How do you know that?

03-19-2013 10:16 AM
    How do you know that?

I've heard from sources. iBooks isn't something the press widely reports, but you will hear rumors if you listen.

03-19-2013 10:18 AM
65 123