Can the iPad 4 play 720p or 1080p mkv files natively?

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
What I mean by natively is through the assistance of any app like AVPlayer HD.

I hate encoding videos as my PC is as slow as a snail's trail. So it would help me if you guys could tell me.

I have an iPad 1st gen, and would like to get the 4th.

So can the new A6X play 1080p mkv videos flawlessly, without lag?

Beamed from Jupiter on my Galaxy Note II

WAQAS4

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know that as well. I am trying to find a site that will let me watch movies for free. Like old Disney movies

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm not talking about sites which you can stream movies.

I'm thinking of HD quality mkv files.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, the iPad 4 featured a stunning new Retina display, but it still only supports to playback videos in MP4, MOV, M4V format.
If you want to play the 1080p MKV videos natively on the iPad, there may be some problem, I think you'd better convert them to 720p and then use some player apps like oplayer HD to play them.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I realise iOS devices only support the QuickTime stuff. But there are ways to play nonQT files through through use of a 3rd party media player like AVPlayer HD.

That supports avi, mkv, etc...

Just wondering if the iPad does support lagless playback for extreme bitrate videos, without encoding.

StevesBalls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
AVPlayerHD has been recently removed from the App Store due to licensing issues with the AC3 format. Dolby is asking insane licensing fees from the developers and consequently support for AC3 has been removed from pretty much all players in the App Store (I think CineXPlayer is the only exception left). And since we are talking about MKV, it's most likely that your file will have AC3 audio - hence all the players become useless without support for AC3.

There is also another issue - players that decode MKV files mostly do this in software - without hardware decoding that the native formats use. This means worse performance and higher CPU load (worse battery life).

The best solution would be to Jailbreak and use a player that can circumvent both of these issues (RushPlayer+ or XBMC). Of course, this is not yet available on the iPad 4, so you are pretty much stuck with sub-par solutions until the Jailbreak becomes available.

Hope this helps (although probably not much ;) ).

Last edited:

vp710

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You may be able to use this: [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-free-watch-your/id313056918?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-free-watch-your/id313056918?mt=8[/URL]

bagarwa

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
AVPlayerHD has been recently removed from the App Store due to licensing issues with the AC3 format. Dolby is asking insane licensing fees from the developers and consequently support for AC3 has been removed from pretty much all players in the App Store (I think CineXPlayer is the only exception left). And since we are talking about MKV, it's most likely that your file will have AC3 audio - hence all the players become useless without support for AC3.

There is also another issue - players that decode MKV files mostly do this in software - without hardware decoding that the native formats use. This means worse performance and higher CPU load (worse battery life).

The best solution would be to Jailbreak and use a player that can circumvent both of these issues (RushPlayer+ or XBMC). Of course, this is not yet available on the iPad 4, so you are pretty much stuck with sub-par solutions until the Jailbreak becomes available.

Hope this helps (although probably not much ;) ).

I got my first iPad just yesterday and frankly am a little underwhelmed. Coming from Android, the difficulty in what I put in my device and how I do it, is pretty frustrating. Had a few questions, which I thought would be found across 2-3 different threads, were answered in your single post. :)

1. No iPad4 A6x jailbreak yet. :( . I have a few questions though. I won't deviate from the main issue of this thread. Will open a new thread.
2. I did come across some players in the app store yesterday that can upload mkv files via wifi-transfer to your device and play them. Like, [URL="https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1080-mkv-player-pro/id549316521?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]1080 MKV player[/URL]. The free version has ugly banners a the top and bottom of play window.

johnsmith02

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The best solution would be to use 3rd-party iPad Video Converters or Handbrake to convert the MKV videos to iPad compatible formats and then sync it with iTunes. This is the easiest way to play 720p or 1080p MKV files on iPad mini.

saichick04

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I use an app called MoliPlayer HD on my iPad Mini (MoliPlayer on my iPhone). It works well and plays my P90X vids for the gym nicely. It also plays some AVI movies that I have. Maybe that's something you can look into. I didn't feel like learning how to use Handbrake lol.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I typically just convert the movies into the MP4 format, and when I put my DVD's into iTunes I rip for the Apple TV3 960*540 setting. 470 movies and counting.

Epic Tutorials

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
VLC for iOS (free) does support 720p MKV playback but will tend to crash after a few seconds of 1080p MKV playback. It's still a great free solution for your 720p MKV's. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR