People that have had both, is the 4 much better than the 3?

RBRK

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell a difference in speed? I have a 3 and a 4 sitting here in a box and wonder if I should open it up. I haven't heard anything much about the 4.

geekpeter

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
no1 will be able too, there are no apps available that would tax or slow down the ipad2 or ipad3, a faster processor doesnt make any difference other than processor % used, once something runs as fast as it can, then it stops there, nothing improves just because the gfx/cpu is quicker.

same applies to your PC or Mac, if your old one ran the latest and greatest games at full speed at your monitors refresh rate which is probably 60hz for most flatscreens, then getting a pc/mac which is 3-4x faster in all aspects wont change your games speed in any way, it will just stay the same, the apps full performance will remain full performance, only the ipad4 will consume less resources/cpu to reach the apps full performance.

what you need for such a test is an app on the ipad2/3 which is noticably slow to the eye, then yeah if you find such a thing then the ipad4 will make a massive change, if not then theres no difference at all, same aplies to web browsing and other tasks, more cpu/gfx speed doesnt = faster internet.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Off topic but note how a white iPad gives the optical illusion that the screen is smaller

wdfly

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have both, I had not planned on getting the 4 but decided to get it and give my wife my 3 and give her 2 to my son for his first ipad so I had a good enough reason to get it. Had it not been for that I would have waited till the next version before considering an upgrade.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've had a 3 since March and wouldn't notice a difference, I'm sure. Speed wise. If your 3 has cell data, you may or may not see a difference in LTE signal since the 4 has the newer chip. That's where I start to consider upgrading to the 4. Since March, I've figured that AT&T hasn't had decent enough LTE coverage around my areas. I get no bars on LTE and don't get speed. I've noticed on the iPhone 5, which has the newer chip as does the 4, the coverage is much more superb. That newer chip makes a huge difference.

geekpeter

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
that has to be 1 terrible "speed test" in the video above, and i say again, a faster processor or gfx can not magically boost your internet speed, never has been able too, and never will, and at best the video certainly proves that theres virtually no discernable difference between the 2, and there never will be until there are apps that struggle in an ipad3

mokkush

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Many have answered in more detail, but having owned both in the last 2 months:

No. I cannot tell a difference, at all.

Lightning connector is sweet though.

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd sell the 3 and keep the 4 solely for the lightening connector. faster charging time is awesome.

However if you already have the 3 and not the 4 there is zero reasons to upgrade.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the 3 and now have the 4, sold the 3 and so far can't see any difference, only reason for me getting the 4 was 128GB version the lightning port should have been in there when the iPad3 launched anyways.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234