Did the iPad 4 come to soon?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I see people complaining the 4th generation iPad came too soon. It will arrive 7.5 months after the iPad 3 released. Why are people complaining that something more powerful is coming? They needed to update the charging port. It does not make sense to continue selling a $499+ iPad with a dated port. Might as well update the processor. It could be worse though. Just think of those PlayBook owners who are still sitting on their 1st generation tablet almost 2 years later(except those who upgraded to the LTE version). Just sayin'.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess I don't really see it as a "new" iPad... I don't like how they are labeling it the 4th gen. I think they should have just updated the connector to lightning and kept it as 3rd gen.

Then in the spring add that new processor and some other substantial options/features and call that one the 4th gen.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I said this in the other thread and ill just say it again here. If Apple didn't slap the 4th generation label on it, I don't think it would be getting the negative reaction it has gotten. If they said it was updated people would have seen it differently. They're calling it a 4th gen in order to attract customers who may be interested in the Surface. This is what Microsoft gets for giving competition a 3 month heads-up on what they're releasing.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't feel like I've been "screwed" by Apple, as some would suggest. However I am a little disappointed.

In this day and age of consumer electronics I realize things progress and nothing stays top dog long. That being said, in the world of such things as mobile devices and cameras, we were generally seeing 1 year cycles, and intentionally or not, that has set consumer expectations, both for the longevity of their current device, and the anticipation of the release of its replacement.

I'll continue to be happy with my 3rd gen iPad. It's after all the same device it was 2 days ago. But to have Phil Schiller stand on a stage and say things like "the A6X is twice as fast as its predecessor" a little over half a year after the last generation leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, as it only brings little innovations - but this may also be a market strategy to have it on the market before the end-of-year sales ( let's see if this will now be the general roll-out policy, i.e. Whether there will be an extra model at the end of the first quarter 2013)

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I thought maybe it was to catch up with the iPhone 5 so the iPad line would mirror the iPhone line (at least in terms of numbering) then I realised that was silly, unless of course they brought out the iPad 5 next spring, which I suppose maybe they will do. Who knows.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Probably a bit too soon. You can see this by the reaction in these forums. 3 threads in the ipad 4 forum. No stickies.

Either nobody cares that much anymore or there's something else distracting you. iPad mini? Probably. But this is the first ipad announcement that has zero hype and little reaction. Is this a good or bad thing?

All these products at once it's going to be interesting to see how Apple targets its marketing. IMO, they've made things harder for themselves.

Hopefully reviewers treat this as they would a spring ipad release. It's a full generation leap according to Apple. My major con would be no changes to thickness and weight. If the reason for a smaller connector is to make more room, then where's the benefits? The ipad 4 actually gains weight.

How about the in-cell screen tech used in iphone 5? Nope..

It's a faster ipad but I don't anticipate reviewers will be that excited.

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I see people complaining the 4th generation iPad came too soon. It will arrive 7.5 months after the iPad 3 released. Why are people complaining that something more powerful is coming? They needed to update the charging port. It does not make sense to continue selling a $499+ iPad with a dated port. Might as well update the processor. It could be worse though. Just think of those PlayBook owners who are still sitting on their 1st generation tablet almost 2 years later(except those who upgraded to the LTE version). Just sayin'.

Yes, but don't forget that the Playbook had higher spec than any other tablets out at that time.Even the soon to be release IPAD Mini has lower spec than the 2 year old playbook.

williamsbh76

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The only bit of buyers remorse I had before yesterday with my iPad 3 is not getting a LTE model. I have been pondering selling and getting LTE but now the question is do I wait to see if we get another iPad this spring on the normal schedule or go ahead and pull the trigger. Either way, this damned A6X chip makes me wonder from a gaming standpoint, especially after seeing what a difference the iPhone 5 is over the iPad 3 performance wise.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
No, with everything else evolving, people will want something new sooner then later. And they will buy either.... Jump in the mini world and run with it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, in regard to people used to Apple releasing products annually or almost annually. Yes, in regard to the people who recently purchased the New iPad, but no, in regard to business and competing for our dollars during the upcoming Christmas shopping season.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't feel like I've been "screwed" by Apple, as some would suggest. However I am a little disappointed.

In this day and age of consumer electronics I realize things progress and nothing stays top dog long. That being said, in the world of such things as mobile devices and cameras, we were generally seeing 1 year cycles, and intentionally or not, that has set consumer expectations, both for the longevity of their current device, and the anticipation of the release of its replacement.

I'll continue to be happy with my 3rd gen iPad. It's after all the same device it was 2 days ago. But to have Phil Schiller stand on a stage and say things like "the A6X is twice as fast as its predecessor" a little over half a year after the last generation leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think you've said it in the best way possible. I'm not upset but it did leave a sour feeling. Granted I don't *have* to upgrade, and all technology that is *current* is out of date anyway.

I just hope Apple doesn't become like a pc manufacture and start to obsolete hardware in 6 month intervals. I think I would be less salty if this iPad (third gen) didn't have such a poor resale value. Unlike other iPads, this one appears to have not held its value like past generations. My 64GB LTE iPad which is almost mint (I take care of my things), is now only worth around $400.

That's my .02.

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Apple have a lot of choice but to release IPAD4 now. The competitions are chipping away at Apple's market with better spec tablets at a lower price point. Apple's response is with a tablet with higher specs. Apple also responded to the sub $300 tablets with the mini. All of this need to happen before the Christmas rush.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As an iPad 3 owner of 6 months I can certainly understand why iPad 3 owners would be more than a little irritated with Apple over this. However, it's no big deal to me as I just sold my iPad 3 and will simply use that money to buy the iPad mini that I've wanted for some time.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling the 3rd gen iPad will become the Windows ME or Windows Vista of the iPad line. Not that it's a steaming pile like those two OSs, but rather it's the model that doesn't get talked about a lot (due to short shelf time), or is the punchline of some joke.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2