iPad release schedule

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
So does this mean that the iPad is now going to be released pretty closely after the iPhone now? With this event, will there be a spring iPad release now?

I vote no.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Considering the shortened shelf time of the iPad 3, it wouldn't surprise me if they waited over a year to update the full size iPad (like what they did with the iPhone 4), at least for the next round.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I still may wait till March or April to get a new iPad. Whether I want wifi only again or go all out with LTE I'm still deciding.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I hope it still stays spring. I buy 2 new iPhones and iPads every year. If they are released a month apart, it will murder my wallet.

jtexans

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I see them keeping the fall release of the iPad from now on.

There was a dilemma the last 2 years around the holidays: Buy the current iPad or wait 2-3 more months for the newest one.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I see them keeping the fall release of the iPad from now on.

There was a dilemma the last 2 years around the holidays: Buy the current iPad or wait 2-3 more months for the newest one.

I definitely cannot dispute this logic. I wholeheartedly thought the update for iPad was a connector change, but there had to be more motivation to change the chip as well. Perhaps making it last until next fall was the thought?

imtravis

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I think they did it to get a new schedule and changed the chip to deal with the heating issues of the ipad 3.. I know when I play a game for more than 15 minutes, I have to stop because it gets extremely warm (a *LOT* warmer than my ipad 2).

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I think they did it to get a new schedule and changed the chip to deal with the heating issues of the ipad 3.. I know when I play a game for more than 15 minutes, I have to stop because it gets extremely warm (a *LOT* warmer than my ipad 2).

You know that's really a good point on the heating issue. Granted we'll find out once the reviews are out, but I would like to know if this has been resolved or not.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I say NO... I dont see Apple launching a new iPad in 5 months. The new iPad is perfectly fine for a year.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I hope it still stays spring. I buy 2 new iPhones and iPads every year. If they are released a month apart, it will murder my wallet.

Don't you sell your old devices, Garz? If so, sell your new iPad like I did and use the money to get on the new fall release schedule.... If that's what this is now...

END

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I have always said I felt the iPad should be on a fall schedule, and I think this is probably what we are looking at.

:)

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in another thread:

I think there were several factors that went into the decision to put out an upgrade now. It may be that Apple is planning on a reset of its upgrade cycle to coincide wih the holidays. Releasing new equipment in the spring really doesn't tap into the biggest sales season of the year. I'm not sure why anyone would pick the spring season as the time to pump out new products. You lose the excitement of the new release long before the holiday feeding-frenzy starts. Releasing in the fall keeps anticipation and excitement high.

In addition, I think it was important for them to get all their iOS devices on the same docking connector so peripheral vendors have confidence they only have one 'flavor' of connector to plan for and design around. Apple had the same connector for 10 years, so changing to Lightning is a really big deal. They cannot afford to let any of their flagship products languish without the new connector.

Last, I think they needed to make a strategic move to blunt some of the competition in this product category - notably Surface. If anyone has an installed base tied to a specific ecosystem, its Mircosoft. With an installed base of billions of devices, they represent the only real competition to Apple. And they literally own the business ecosystem - from servers to desktops to laptops. Even if they stumble a bit out of the gate, over time they could represent a real threat. And Windows 8 is the only innovative tablet platform to emerge to challenge iOS. The rest are just copy-cats. Apple had to make a move, and they did.

Update - I just thought of something else. All Apple has to do is keep people happy through the 1st and 2nd quarter. By the 3rd quarter the rumor mill is ramping up the excitement for the next product releases and keeping people focused on Apple and their next move. The 4th quarter takes care of itself with the launch events, the holidays and the subsequent demand for the newly updated products.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Don't you sell your old devices, Garz? If so, sell your new iPad like I did and use the money to get on the new fall release schedule.... If that's what this is now...

Yes buy I buy 2 iPads. Selling your old iPad doesn't cover it. Really it's not close.

- - - Updated - - -

I vote yes. I don't see this 4th gen iPad carrying it out for a year. I believe it was just a minor refresh to get new lightning plug on and we'll see a redesigned 5th gen in spring to follow the look of iPad mini and iPhone 5.

I have no real info on that buy just my hunch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2