Does the iPad 3 support 5 GHZ WiFi?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if my iPad gen3 will run on the 5GHZ band ?
I would not have worried about it but it's running kind of slow and I have a BT SmartHub to play with and it says it is dual band.
If I look at my router control app I can see that my iPad is connected to 2.4GHZ and my daughter's iPhone 6 is connected to 5GHZ, although spec says my iPad supports 802.11 a/b/g/n.
Can I do this by splitting the bands and logging into 5Hz in settings ?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

iPad 3 does support 5GHz wifi. My router uses separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, so you can control which you connect to. I'm not sure whether all routers do this. There's no way to disable either 2.4 or 5GHz on the iPad.

BTW, my iPad did not work reliably on the 5GHz network so I dropped back to 2.4GHz. I'm not sure whether that's a problem with the iPad or the router.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
re:

Thank you for the replies. I got this to work after much fiddling about, I had to seperate the two bands and log into the 5ghz band only,to teach my iPad to recognise the signal, using my router control,and settings on my iPad. Since then I have rejoined the two bands and all still ok. I do not know if the iPad will rejoin 2.4ghz if 5ghz becomes too attenuated to function well.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner