How's your iPad 3 after upgrading to 7.1

sicpuppy

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Was already a bit sluggish on 7.06 , I personally didn't find it fixed sluggishness ( specially using Safari ) after upgrading

Teemu2

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm contemplating updating mine. I'm still on iOS 5, but I've been running into more and more apps with iOS 6/7 as the minimum requirement.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPad Mini (non-retina) seems a bit more responsive with iOS 7.1 so I recommend that you give it a try.

Jamie Wooten

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm with the OP on this one, Safari seems to make mine sluggish as well. I'm actually considering upgrading to an Air and just take care of all my problems. :)

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Still slow, especially the browser which is now close to unusable. Is it worth doing a factory reset? Anyone think that will help? Or is it just time to buy a new tablet - not an Apple one this time I'm afraid... This ipad 3 was my first Apple product and while it's not been bad, it's nothing special and was very overpriced. It's hard to justify spending so much again.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Still slow, especially the browser which is now close to unusable. Is it worth doing a factory reset? Anyone think that will help? Or is it just time to buy a new tablet - not an Apple one this time I'm afraid... This ipad 3 was my first Apple product and while it's not been bad, it's nothing special and was very overpriced. It's hard to justify spending so much again.

Anyone able to help with this question? Still wondering whether it's worth doing a factory reset.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have three thoughts:

1) A factory reset can't hurt, particularly if you make sure you have a good backup.

2) I'm curious about the state of the battery, if it has lost capacity and that might be why the iPad is running slow (thinking of how the iPhones are throttled). I'm not aware of iPads being throttled but it still might be worth having it checked at an Apple store and seeing if the battery has lost capacity.

3) Buy a new iPad. The new iPad (not the Pro) sells new at $329 for the 32GB -- far less expensive than the older iPads when they were new. It is a big upgrade from the iPad 3, as well and will be much faster. Additionally, if you keep an eye on things, they will go on sale -- they've been as low as $250 (on Black Friday). In fact, I will likely post a new, sealed in the box, 128GB WiFi iPad in the Marketplace here for cheap -- I got it through a loyalty program so paid little for it but don't need it (I have similar iPad, but with cellular, that I used daily).

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have three thoughts:

1) A factory reset can't hurt, particularly if you make sure you have a good backup.

2) I'm curious about the state of the battery, if it has lost capacity and that might be why the iPad is running slow (thinking of how the iPhones are throttled). I'm not aware of iPads being throttled but it still might be worth having it checked at an Apple store and seeing if the battery has lost capacity.

3) Buy a new iPad. The new iPad (not the Pro) sells new at $329 for the 32GB -- far less expensive than the older iPads when they were new. It is a big upgrade from the iPad 3, as well and will be much faster. Additionally, if you keep an eye on things, they will go on sale -- they've been as low as $250 (on Black Friday). In fact, I will likely post a new, sealed in the box, 128GB WiFi iPad in the Marketplace here for cheap -- I got it through a loyalty program so paid little for it but don't need it (I have similar iPad, but with cellular, that I used daily).

Thanks for the reply! The first for three and a half years. :)

1. I guess I will try a hard reset. To be honest, I rarely use the iPad now I have a phone with a larger screen but occasionally it's useful.

2. The battery still seems fine. With my low usage of the iPad, it lasts 2-4 weeks between charges. I guess it could manage 6-8 hours of continuous use. Pretty impressive for an almost six year old device. :)

3. Unfortunately I don't like the iPad 5. I tried one in a shop and the lack of an anti-reflective layer on the screen caused really big problems under the shop lights even in the dedicated "Apple area" of the store. I guess it would be even worse in typical use. Also, to be honest EUR 350+ is a lot to pay for a device I rarely use (more than double the cost of my phone!), and that's without the cover. So I think I will stick with the iPad 3 for now, but I will check out the iPad 6 when it becomes available.

Last edited:

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! The first for three and a half years. :)

1. I guess I will try a hard reset. To be honest, I rarely use the iPad now I have a phone with a larger screen but occasionally it's useful.

2. The battery still seems fine. With my low usage of the iPad, it lasts 2-4 weeks between charges. I guess it could manage 6-8 hours of continuous use. Pretty impressive for an almost six year old device. :)

3. Unfortunately I don't like the iPad 5. I tried one in a shop and the lack of an anti-reflective layer on the screen caused really big problems under the shop lights even in the dedicated "Apple area" of the store. I guess it would be even worse in typical use. Also, to be honest EUR 350+ is a lot to pay for a device I rarely use (more than double the cost of my phone!), and that's without the cover. So I think I will stick with the iPad 3 for now, but I will check out the iPad 6 when it becomes available.

Good luck with the hard reset, hope it helps!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

The iPad 3 didn’t have the anti-reflective coating either, so the iPad 5 screen should be the same if not better.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Anyone able to help with this question? Still wondering whether it's worth doing a factory reset.

Well at this point it's been almost four years. I would imagine buying a new tablet might be in your best interest. You can get a more updated model for a very reasonable price making it a great option, imo.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The iPad 3 didn’t have the anti-reflective coating either, so the iPad 5 screen should be the same if not better.

Yes, thanks for that. I meant to include that in my last post -- the new iPad's screen looks very good and will not be any more reflective than the iPad 3's. Additionally, you can always buy an anti-glare screen protector to eliminate much of the glare.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, thanks for that. I meant to include that in my last post -- the new iPad's screen looks very good and will not be any more reflective than the iPad 3's. Additionally, you can always buy an anti-glare screen protector to eliminate much of the glare.

As I wrote, I tried it in the shop (actually, a couple of shops) and found the screen very poor.
I have chosen to put the money towards a laptop - you can buy a decent laptop for not much more than the cost of an iPad.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
As I wrote, I tried it in the shop (actually, a couple of shops) and found the screen very poor.
I have chosen to put the money towards a laptop - you can buy a decent laptop for not much more than the cost of an iPad.

I agree on the new iPad screen. My son has one and I’m not at all fond of it. The display works great for someone who isn’t obsessed with quality like most of us on the forum are. Apple chose not to laminate the display or use an anti-reflective coating to keep cost down.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

An anti-reflective coating is not the only factor in how reflective a display is. The design of the screen and the materials use can make a big difference.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
An anti-reflective coating is not the only factor in how reflective a display is. The design of the screen and the materials use can make a big difference.

From everything I can find, the screens between the iPad 3 and iPad 5 were identical specs.

Display Size. 9.7-inch (diagonal) widescreen
Display Resolution. 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution
Refresh Rate. 60Hz
Pixel Density. 264 ppi

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
From everything I can find, the screens between the iPad 3 and iPad 5 were identical specs.

Refresh Rate. 60Hz
Pixel Density. 264 ppi

The specs are the same but the 2017 (5th Gen) iPad had a brighter display than previous iPads (including the Air 1 and 2). I would assume they are using the same display panel in the 2018 iPad.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
The specs are the same but the 2017 (5th Gen) iPad had a brighter display than previous iPads (including the Air 1 and 2). I would assume they are using the same display panel in the 2018 iPad.

Good point and thanks, you are correct. The iPad 2017 (5G) is 44% brighter. I believe the 2018 iPad screen is revised, since it requires the tech compatibility with the pencil.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Refresh Rate. 60Hz
Pixel Density. 264 ppi

There is much more to making a display than the size and resolution. There are many other factors such as brightness, contrast, colour gamut, reflectivity in different conditions, etc. I seriously doubt that the iPad 3 and iPad 5 screens are the same.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR