iPad 3 purchase?

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 32GB - White (3rd generation) for $500, including taxes and shipping today. Is the 3rd gen iPad one I'll be happy with for several years to come? I'm not concerned with the fact that a new iPad just came out, I just want an iPad that will last for a while.

Refurbished iPad - Apple Certified, 1-Year Warranty - Apple Store (U.S.)

great way to look on the Brightside.... I couldn't update to iOS 6.... But hey..1st iPad had its run... it still works great

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The money you're saving is worth it. Yeah a faster processor is nice, but the 3rd gen is still plenty quick and it has a retina display.

JSho101

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Those were my exact thoughts, jalba3. I think I agree with you. Weighing what I will get with the 4 for the money, I don't really think it's worth it. I think the 3rd gen will keep me happy for a few good years, at least.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
No. Cancel and get the new one that was released today. Double the processing power.

iPad 4th gen at 32GB is gonna be 599$ + Tax = 645$ Plus costs of new lightning cables that are overpriced and in limited quantity. He can by generic cables for 5$.... It's a no brainier..... Quit hating cause you aren't happy with your iPad purchase.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Those were my exact thoughts, jalba3. I think I agree with you. Weighing what I will get with the 4 for the money, I don't really think it's worth it. I think the 3rd gen will keep me happy for a few good years, at least.

You will be good for couple of years.... Read my previous post

JSho101

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback Apple4Ever2011. I tend to agree and those are exactly the points I went with the iPad 3rd gen. The biggest selling piece to me was the retina display with the significantly lower price. It is blowing my mind how a device that was top of the market was making people completely happy up until this morning. Now people seem to feel it's completely obsolete and no longer worth anything at all.

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
iPad 4th gen at 32GB is gonna be 599$ + Tax = 645$ Plus costs of new lightning cables that are overpriced and in limited quantity. He can by generic cables for 5$.... It's a no brainier..... Quit hating cause you aren't happy with your iPad purchase.
Fanboy much?

The iPad 3 is barely able to run with iOS 6. Wait till you try browsing the app store.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Fanboy much?

The iPad 3 is barely able to run with iOS 6. Wait till you try browsing the app store.

Really? You're taking this 4th gen iPad thing pretty hard, eh?

The iPad 3rd gen will certainly run iOS 6 quite well... and will be a solid tablet for several years... it's only 7 months old.

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Really? You're taking this 4th gen iPad thing pretty hard, eh?

The iPad 3rd gen will certainly run iOS 6 quite well... and will be a solid tablet for several years... it's only 7 months old.
Dude, I have one. I'll agree that before iOS 6 it was perfect, however now the App Store is very laggy not to mention the many FCing apps now. Not saying it's a hardware issue at all. Just be realistic. Read some reviews. I've been unhappy with iOS 6, but after today, I'm letting out my anger!!!! ;)

Jerry_

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
If you were happy 'til yesterday than the iPad3 - or whatever you have - fits your needs. Unless your needs changed over night, there is no reason to be unhappy now ;)

Obviously the introduction of new models will have one positive effect: prices for previous models will drop, allowing a larger number of people to get those. However I agree that if you bought your model recently, then this is not that positive, because your chance to resell it (why should you do?) at a good rate, also dropped.

I am currently using an iPad2 and that is perfect for me. If the 2013 iPad will be a temptation for buying, will depend on the level of expectations that I put on the iPad - and he level to which this is taken into account by an upcoming model. Current 2012 models haven't given me a good reason for changing - so I am not unhappy :D

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
An ipad 3 was struggling for me during the summer. I never tried iOS 6 on it so I can't comment on that. The processor in the ipad 4 is twice as fast. That's like going from the 4S to the 5. You can save some money buying ipad 3 right now but I don't think it's worth it especially when you consider the other changes and based on the OP's goal of using it for "several more years". Obviously if you already own one, you should keep.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Dude, I have one. I'll agree that before iOS 6 it was perfect, however now the App Store is very laggy not to mention the many FCing apps now. Not saying it's a hardware issue at all. Just be realistic. Read some reviews. I've been unhappy with iOS 6, but after today, I'm letting out my anger!!!! ;)

So we've seen.

Yes, there are/have been issues with the App store, but that's a one-off. There are always issues with new releases of operating systems... but there's nothing there that makes the current crop of devices unusable... I've been running 6.0 since GM was available and find it to be solid. There's a patch in testing with the wireless carriers that should be out soon... but the hissy fit is getting old.

JSho101

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate hearing it, especially from you guys who currently own iPad 3rd gen. It seems odd that yesterday morning the iPad 3rd gen was the best device out there, but now that there is something new it's considered completely unusable and not very good anymore?

I'm not concerned with the resale value because I don't plan on reselling it. I'm just buying it for myself to use for as long as possible. I want to make sure it's a solid device that will last me for a handful of years. As long as Apple will continue to include the device in the iOS updates. I just want to make sure there aren't any major flaws I'm missing that should cause me concern.

The device shipped early this morning and I will receive it on Monday. I know I have 30 days so I'm going to continue to get feedback and play with it a bit myself to see what I think. I have a month to make a decision :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2