Apple are such cannibals.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Apple are getting hungrier and hungrier for their own products year after year. A new iPad and a mini version.

The price for the Mini is pretty disgusting. For a little extra, you get the new generation iPad 4, with an A6X, and retained Retina display, as opposed to a mere 1024x768 Mini.

For $329, a Nexus 7 could be had, and that comes with better specs, plus you still get a good amount of spare change with that.

Seems like the Mini is just gonna be consumed by its bigger brother even before its been given a chance.

Let's face it, anyone who has used the 9.7in would not be downgrading themselves to a 7in non-Retina. There's no way that happens. The only market this new Mini has is for newcomers. And for anyone who's just joined the 7in tablet club, why would they pay for an overpriced Mini, when a Nexus 7 is plenty cheaper?

I understand why they would release a new iPad. The Surface is being released, and Apple are trying to force some competition. Fair enough, I'd get a new iPad compared to the Surface based on what I've seen of it.
But the Mini? It just seems like some awful timing by Apple.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The mini will outsell the ipad in time. And it'll probably do so at better margins for Apple. It doesn't matter to Apple what iOS product you buy just so long as you buy one. Apple will get their margin.

Sancho90

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest gripes about the iPad is size. How is it a bad thing to release a smaller version of arguably the most capable tablet out there?

A lot of people are very turned off by the current iPads size. This is gonna hit the sweet spot of everyone who was interested in the iPad, but never pulled the trigger on it. Personally, I'm very intrigued by it, and will more than likely invest in one... And I'm a 3rd generation iPad user.

The Nexus 7 isn't even in the same league as the iPad, even the new Mini. It's not even worth comparing the two.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the biggest gripes about the iPad is size. How is it a bad thing to release a smaller version of arguably the most capable tablet out there?

A lot of people are very turned off by the current iPads size. This is gonna hit the sweet spot of everyone who was interested in the iPad, but never pulled the trigger on it. Personally, I'm very intrigued by it, and will more than likely invest in one... And I'm a 3rd generation iPad user.

The Nexus 7 isn't even in the same league as the iPad, even the new Mini. It's not even worth comparing the two.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'd have to see the ipad mini in person before i buy for myself. Gruber even notes it's similar to reading on a 3GS. I thought it might look good enough since it has a slightly higher ppi than the ipad 2. The retina screen of the big ipad is still very compelling. Even the iphone 5 might still be preferable for reading over the Mini.

noticeably nicer than the 133 PPI iPad 1/2, noticeably worse than the 266 PPI iPad 3/4. The iPad Mini display seems brighter and to have better contrast than the iPhone 3GS display, but unsurprisingly, rendered text looks exactly like it does on the 3GS.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It's true that some might be put off by the true iPad's size, I can't imagine the Mini would be more popular than it. But Apple were the ones who dictated or revolutionised the tablet size market. They've set the standard. Today, the 7inchers are the inbetweeners of a phone and the standard tablet.

It'll just be a product to fill the gap. Apple are certainly not the first to exploit this 7in market. Sales will tell us how it performed.

fubaracing7374

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Perfect for my three year old. The touch was just a little too big and the regular iPad would have been too big for him. This is perfect.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

2BTs4Me

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The mini was what I hoped the original iPad would be, until I saw the specs. The lack of an anti-glare screen is a deal breaker for me. Yes, they made it easier to take places, and easier to hold for longer periods of time, but what good does that do if you can't read it because of the glare. The iPhone 5 screen has spoiled me. I guess I'm going to buy the Kindle Paperwhite instead. :-(

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
It's true that some might be put off by the true iPad's size, I can't imagine the Mini would be more popular than it. But Apple were the ones who dictated or revolutionised the tablet size market. They've set the standard. Today, the 7inchers are the inbetweeners of a phone and the standard tablet.

It'll just be a product to fill the gap. Apple are certainly not the first to exploit this 7in market. Sales will tell us how it performed.

At $329 the iPad mini will outsell the regular iPad before the holiday season is over. Simple economics.