Very upset ipad 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
One of my friends who purchased the 3 is upset by this release. But, seriously, this is the nature of technology; people need to quit whining.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Look, if I had paid $250 for it I could understand. I am one who replaces devices yearly. But to pay $500+ and have it replaced in 6 months is a little much. And after the disappointment of iOS 6, I'm done. Jobs is gone and it is starting to show. I'm not expecting a pity party but I will take my business elsewhere. At least with Google, the price points are much lower.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, if I had paid $250 for it I could understand. I am one who replaces devices yearly. But to pay $500+ and have it replaced in 6 months is a little much. And after the disappointment of iOS 6, I'm done. Jobs is gone and it is starting to show. I'm not expecting a pity party but I will take my business elsewhere. At least with Google, the price points are much lower.

Instead of jumping ship to Android, how about altering what devices you replace on a yearly basis. For instance, replace the iPhone every year but not the iPad. Don't get me wrong, you can do whatever you want to do. It's your life, money & choice. I think it was wrong for Apple to introduce the 4th generation iPad so soon after the new iPad was introduced, but I don't think it was something that would make me change platforms. Apple will lose your monetary support by you moving to Android or refusing to buy the newest iPad. Anyway, again, you can do what you want. I'm just throwing in my opinion of it. That's all.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
@Fausty I'd quote you and everything but it's not letting me. At this point, I feel lucky i can log in and post.

But none of those examples you gave were shortened 6 month new gen products. Even the verizon iphone was just a same gen product. The refreshed ipad 2 was just that, a refresh. It wasn't a generation jump.

Regarding your last point. That's fine if we buy products for today. Sure some do that and it still works today. But we also buy anticipating our future needs as well. And the future of the ipad 3 has been cut short. We could see an ipad 5 next year and we know how Apple leaves out future software features for older gen products.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
@Fausty I'd quote you and everything but it's not letting me. At this point, I feel lucky i can log in and post.

But none of those examples you gave were shortened 6 month new gen products. Even the verizon iphone was just a same gen product. The refreshed ipad 2 was just that, a refresh. It wasn't a generation jump.

Regarding your last point. That's fine if we buy products for today. Sure some do that and it still works today. But we also buy anticipating our future needs as well. And the future of the ipad 3 has been cut short. We could see an ipad 5 next year and we know how Apple leaves out future software features for older gen products.

Not to belabor this any more than necessary (ok, is it really necessary? :) ), but Keith brings up and excellent point that I had not considered... While there were rumors about some sort of refresh of the iPad for the lightning connector, Keith makes the point that with the Microsoft Surface releasing this week, Apple may very well have fired a pre-emptive strike at them. Google also has an announcement coming up soon... so perhaps this was as much (or more) an offensive against them as it was a refresh for refreshing's sake.

I understand the viewpoint of those who are annoyed by the new iPad, but it doesn't bother me that much that my iPad 3rd gen is no longer the newest Apple iPad on the planet.

Time to move on... this horse has been beaten to a pulp.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had good luck quoting by double-clicking the Reply With Quote button.

back to the discussion.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Not to belabor this any more than necessary (ok, is it really necessary? :) ), but Keith brings up and excellent point that I had not considered... While there were rumors about some sort of refresh of the iPad for the lightning connector, Keith makes the point that with the Microsoft Surface releasing this week, Apple may very well have fired a pre-emptive strike at them. Google also has an announcement coming up soon... so perhaps this was as much (or more) an offensive against them as it was a refresh for refreshing's sake.

I understand the viewpoint of those who are annoyed by the new iPad, but it doesn't bother me that much that my iPad 3rd gen is no longer the newest Apple iPad on the planet.

Time to move on... this horse has been beaten to a pulp.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had good luck quoting by double-clicking the Reply With Quote button.

back to the discussion.

Not sure what's new to the new iPad besides the processor and the new connector, if this is it I believe the iPad 3 is more than enough as an offensive move towards Microsoft even seven months later , really weird move from Apple specially now when they want to sell millions of the new iPad mini..

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
They'll sell millions of minis. To people that don't what the full sized iPad. Those people do exist.

That was my point, there is a big market for the iPad mini and I felt this event was all about it and that's why I believe the new iPad didn't fit this event from a marketing perspective..

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
All I was saying I thought they would keep the iPad 3, not the iPad 2 since they introduced a new gen iPad. Just seems odd they came out with another gen so quick no matter what was coming out.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That was my point, there is a big market for the iPad mini and I felt this event was all about it and that's why I believe the new iPad didn't fit this event from a marketing perspective..
The 4th-gen iPad is Apple flipping the bird to Microsoft's event this week, and all the competitors who are releasing their latest & greatest devices that were supposed to be the "iPad killer" - albeit 3rd-gen iPad that they are/were trying to 'kill'... I see it fitting quite well into today's event.

justinuriah

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Lets hope app support for the 3rd gen isn't dropped within the next year or two. That is my only concern. I could care less about the newest gen. My 3rd gen is perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets hope app support for the 3rd gen isn't dropped within the next year or two. That is my only concern. I could care less about the newest gen. My 3rd gen is perfect.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

That simply isn't a reasonable concern. First, the resolution is identical between the 3rd and 4th gen iPads... and second, the processor bump is not significant to render any app untolerable on the 3rd gen. The apps will, for the most part, work on all iPads - mini, 2nd gen, 3rd gen and 4th gen. And the 3rd and 4th will have the bonus of running as retina apps.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I am happy with my iPad I have now just odd apple did this they usually don't care who comes out with what. I don't care don't plan on getting anything they announced today.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
The 4th-gen iPad is Apple flipping the bird to Microsoft's event this week, and all the competitors who are releasing their latest & greatest devices that were supposed to be the "iPad killer" - albeit 3rd-gen iPad that they are/were trying to 'kill'... I see it fitting quite well into today's event.

Understand your point but I disagree, Apple knows the Surface and other tablets are years away from killing the iPad and there was really no rush, the smaller iPad's market is a totally different story because they didn't have anything to compete on that price range, the Ipad 3 was selling very well and I think it was important for Apple to focus only on the iPad mini now, sell millions and then come back in March with a much better and beefier iPad 4.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I reckon Apple are setting a new estimate date for their tablets. I don't see a 5th Gen in March. So they're restarting the annual releases at Oct/Nov for tablets.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Call me a cry baby if you want but to come out with a fourth gen iPad now is a slap in the face to ipad 3 owners. I'll never buy another ipad. This is Android-esq.

You're a crybaby. A lightning connector and slightly faster processor is absolutely not a slap in the face.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

They HAD to update it. They could not afford to sell 20 million tablets from now until march that were using a deprecated connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro