I seem to sense that the real issue here is that those who have iPad 3rd gen are upset because they have "lost money" in the resale market. What that tells me is that they aren't buying the device (any device) for the purpose of having and using said device, but rather purchase their tech as "investments".
    10-25-2012 11:56 AM
    No it's not about investment value. it's about having an incapacitated under powered device. Real technology versus status or value
    10-25-2012 12:23 PM
    What has Apple promised you that they didn't deliver? If it still runs the same apps, runs as fast and as well as it did on Monday, how is it now, suddenly "outdated"?

And the "without any kind of warning" is simply not true. First, Apple has refreshed it's iPhone and iPad line AT LEAST annually... so tell me what difference 5 months makes? Second, there were rumors of an iPad (non-mini) refresh coming along side the iPad Mini release... Heck, android releases new hardware almost weekly... and many of the devices are still running IceCream Sandwich - the older operating system... it's the evolutionary nature of tech.

Sorry you're so disappointed... but the tablet that you have and were using happily on Monday is still the same, functioning and functional tablet that you were quite happy with then.

I honestly don't get all the carping.
    Thx for apologizing for me...
    However nothing is Wrong with my iPad 3, or my iPhone 4S. It's just a Apple way of life, that I have that I upgrade every year. This kind of changes things a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    10-25-2012 12:26 PM
    No it's not about investment value. it's about having an incapacitated under powered device. Real technology versus status or value
    Was the iPad-3rd generation incapacitated and under powered on Monday? But since the announcement of the 4th-gen iPad it suddenly is?
    sprocket2107 likes this.
    10-25-2012 12:27 PM
    I seem to sense that the real issue here is that those who have iPad 3rd gen are upset because they have "lost money" in the resale market. What that tells me is that they aren't buying the device (any device) for the purpose of having and using said device, but rather purchase their tech as "investments".
    Kind of. I guess usually one has the feeling that you're not really losing any money. I have found that over the last few years, that the iPad seems to be the one that depreciates the most. So I guess this is just something to be expected now that I think about it.

10-25-2012 12:28 PM
    Was the iPad-3rd generation incapacitated and under powered on Monday? But since the announcement of the 4th-gen iPad it suddenly is?
    I don't think anybody is saying that the iPad 3 is underpowered. At least that's not what I'm saying. But by them announcing the fourth GEN iPad it does make your iPad 3 depreciate just a little bit faster and it seems like that's what it is more about.

10-25-2012 12:29 PM
    No your presumptions are wrong. The A5x is fine for the iPad 2 but can't handle the demands of the Retina display on the iPad3 . It's not about the latest and greatest, it's about having a properly functioning device.
    10-25-2012 12:31 PM
    No your presumptions are wrong. The A5x is fine for the iPad 2 but can't handle the demands of the Retina display on the iPad3 . It's not about the latest and greatest, it's about having a properly functioning device.
    My iPad3 functions just fine. Does everything I need it to do. Doesn't get "too hot"... I think the one with the wrong presumptions here is not me at all.
    10-25-2012 12:33 PM
    What do mean? iPad 2 don't function properly?!

10-25-2012 12:33 PM
    Then please help me understand what is incapacitated and under powered about the device that was perfectly capable on Tuesday morning and has not changed since Tuesday morning? It still uses the same connections to your existing devices (the 4gen doesn't, BTW), it runs the same software, displays the same video, etc, etc, etc... Either it works or it doesn't. Tuesday's announcement did NOT change that fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a simple point of clarification... the iPad 2 has an A5 chip, NOT an A5X... the A5X was designed for and introduced in the 3rd gen iPad. The A5X was a bump in processor speed and included quad-core GPU for the retina display. #sourgrapes

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anybody is saying that the iPad 3 is underpowered. At least that's not what I'm saying. But by them announcing the fourth GEN iPad it does make your iPad 3 depreciate just a little bit faster and it seems like that's what it is more about.

So for you, it's about an investment and resale value?

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of. I guess usually one has the feeling that you're not really losing any money. I have found that over the last few years, that the iPad seems to be the one that depreciates the most. So I guess this is just something to be expected now that I think about it.
    Not sure that it "depreciates the most" as much as it's not a level playing field to begin with. When compared to the iPhone, you are paying somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 of the retail (unsubsidized) price for the device. Of course you'll come out farther ahead in that situation.

BTW, I don't buy my devices with any thought at all to potential for resale value... in fact, I've only sold 1 or 2 devices ever. They get handed down to kids, grandkids, etc. I buy what I want, use it... and if/when someone needs/wants a device, I will buy the newest and pass the old one down.
    10-25-2012 12:45 PM
    Then please help me understand what is incapacitated and under powered about the device that was perfectly capable on Tuesday morning and has not changed since Tuesday morning? It still uses the same connections to your existing devices (the 4gen doesn't, BTW), it runs the same software, displays the same video, etc, etc, etc... Either it works or it doesn't. Tuesday's announcement did NOT change that fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a simple point of clarification... the iPad 2 has an A5 chip, NOT an A5X... the A5X was designed for and introduced in the 3rd gen iPad. The A5X was a bump in processor speed and included quad-core GPU for the retina display. #sourgrapes

- - - Updated - - -

So for you, it's about an investment and resale value?

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure that it "depreciates the most" as much as it's not a level playing field to begin with. When compared to the iPhone, you are paying somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 of the retail (unsubsidized) price for the device. Of course you'll come out farther ahead in that situation.

BTW, I don't buy my devices with any thought at all to potential for resale value... in fact, I've only sold 1 or 2 devices ever. They get handed down to kids, grandkids, etc. I buy what I want, use it... and if/when someone needs/wants a device, I will buy the newest and pass the old one down.
    About the money.. A little. About the tech... A little. It's a little bit of everything. But that doesn't make my device slower or less useful to me. Just sayin...

Good for you for only selling 1/2 devices ever

Fausty82 likes this.
    10-25-2012 01:02 PM
    About the money.. A little. About the tech... A little. It's a little bit of everything. But that doesn't make my device slower or less useful to me. Just sayin...
    fair enough... and thanks for the clarification.
    10-25-2012 01:06 PM
    The link someone posted makes a very good point. The iphone is Apple's most important product. If it's got Lightning, you better get your other products (besides ipad 2) on board with that asap.

Because of this very issue, I doubt Apple is going with 6 months releases now. That's too unApple and makes this kind of a rare event. They don't wait a year usually for customer's sakes, it's just favorable to spread out the cost for as long as they can. But IMO, if Apple thought they could wait til March, they would've. It would have been preferred probably. But obviously they had good reason to do the change now.

And moving to a holiday season release cycle was something that's been rumored since last year when they're were rumors of a fall 2011 ipad 3. If you remember, it got "delayed" til spring 2012. Perhaps in hindsight, that release that didn't happen really was intended. EDIT: here's that link http://forums.imore.com/ipad-3-forum...d-delayed.html

Based on that and the name change, I would guess Apple knew in March that they'd be refreshing the ipad again later this year. Or at least intended to.
    Last edited by cardfan; 10-25-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    10-25-2012 02:16 PM
    I agree with that!

10-25-2012 02:18 PM
    I'm very upset too! Just bought my new iPad two months ago and now Apple released iPad 4!!!
    10-25-2012 03:07 PM
    I'm very upset too! Just bought my new iPad two months ago and now Apple released iPad 4!!!
    One more time... what does your 3rd gen iPad not do today that it did when you woke up on Tuesday morning? Everybody's p!$$ed off and wringing their hands and even threatening class-action lawsuits... why? You took your hard-earned money down to the store of your choice and gave it to a clerk who then gave you a product. That product was new and shiny and you were all happy with/about it... until Apple released a new version. Did you really thing that was never going to happen?

If the 3rd gen iPad works, runs the software that you want to run, plays the videos and music that you want to play, you have no argument. You got what you paid for and you still have exactly what you paid for.
    sunrat39 likes this.
    10-25-2012 03:18 PM
    While some of you are po'd that the 4th gen iPad came out just months after the 3rd released...it doesn't phase me at all. I'm STILL happily using my 1st gen iPad
    Fausty82 and Just_Me_D like this.
    10-25-2012 03:58 PM
    One more time... what does your 3rd gen iPad not do today that it did when you woke up on Tuesday morning? Everybody's p!$$ed off and wringing their hands and even threatening class-action lawsuits... why? You took your hard-earned money down to the store of your choice and gave it to a clerk who then gave you a product. That product was new and shiny and you were all happy with/about it... until Apple released a new version. Did you really thing that was never going to happen?

If the 3rd gen iPad works, runs the software that you want to run, plays the videos and music that you want to play, you have no argument. You got what you paid for and you still have exactly what you paid for.
    Amen brother!
    10-25-2012 04:22 PM
    It's not a question of latest and greatest or status. It's a matter of having a device that was not ready to be released and is now what it should be with the A6X processor

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't realize I was buying a device that was not ready to be released. Caveat emptor is what I expect from other companies but not Apple
    Attached Thumbnails Very upset ipad 4-screen-shot-2012-10-25-12.57.18-pm.png  
    10-25-2012 07:10 PM
    I think the people who claim to not understand the anger and disappointment of ipad3 owners are being disingenuous. Do you not understand that there is a certain pride and satisfaction knowing that you own the "Top of The Line" product, the BEST in its class? They expected to be able to experience this for at least a year, so to be upset that it was cut short is perfectly normal and understandable.
    10-25-2012 08:13 PM
    I think everyone needs to calm down. I have a 3rg gen iPad and knew when I bought it that it would be replaced eventually. I will enjoy it until the software no longer can be updated and then replace.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-25-2012 08:14 PM
    I think the people who claim to not understand the anger and disappointment of ipad3 owners are being disingenuous. Do you not understand that there is a certain pride and satisfaction knowing that you own the "Top of The Line" product, the BEST in its class? They expected to be able to experience this for at least a year, so to be upset that it was cut short is perfectly normal and understandable.
    First world problems...
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-25-2012 08:15 PM
    So you think that I am disingenuous? Yeah, I am faking it. SMH. BTW, I don't "claim to not understand the anger", I really don't get it. It's a device made of silicon, metal and glass. No more, no less. It runs software that I purchased and selected to fit my needs. It's simply a tool and, at times, an entertainment device.

You are bent because I am happy that the device that I purchased still works as well as it did when I bought it? I bought my 3rd gen iPad to use - not as an investment or as a status symbol. It's a tool. Expecting it to be "top of the line" and "best in its class" are nice, but not long-lived in the tech world.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 10-25-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    10-25-2012 08:52 PM
    I gotta be honest, I completely understand why iPad 3 owners are upset. I'd be really upset if I bought an iPad 3 a few months ago only to know that now I could have something better for the SAME exact price. For me it wouldn't be at all about not having the "best" on the market at the moment, but the fact that I could have gotten more for my money had I waited a few months. I think anyone who says they wouldn't be irritated by that isn't being honest with themselves.

That being said, I'm taking advantage of the announcement and I purchased a refurb iPad 3 for much cheaper, which I'm very happy about
    10-25-2012 10:21 PM
    It's not a question of latest and greatest or status. It's a matter of having a device that was not ready to be released and is now what it should be with the A6X processor

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't realize I was buying a device that was not ready to be released. Caveat emptor is what I expect from other companies but not Apple
    Stop making stuff up. The 3 was ready to be released or apple wouldn't have sold it. P
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-25-2012 11:54 PM
247 ... 56789 ...