"The New iPad" was a funny name for a product.

It should have been called the iPad 3 from the beginning but they didn't do that since it was only getting a 6 month life cycle.

Makes perfect sense to me.
    10-24-2012 03:51 PM
    Where and when did Apple promise that if you purchase product that it will be "the latest and greatest" anything for any time period? Apple is a company that makes and sells tech devices. They can do what ever they want, and beyond some sort of warranty, they owe you nothing. As a customer you can choose to buy or not, but it's all about caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.

Sort of tired of the prevailing entitlement mentality.
    You forgot that a lot of people pay the premium for the IPAD thinking that they have "the latest and greatest". In reality , they pay a premium for the privilege of buying apps from the vast app store. With IPAD4, the app store is still there.
    10-24-2012 03:51 PM
    You forgot that a lot of people pay the premium for the IPAD thinking that they have "the latest and greatest". In reality , they pay a premium for the privilege of buying apps from the vast app store. With IPAD4, the app store is still there.
    I'm still looking for documentation of the promise from Apple that any device that they sell is guaranteed to be "latest and greatest" for a one year period after purchase or product launch.

If customers infer from the purchase transaction that Apple somehow owes them something beyond warranty support, that is an incorrect assumption, and, frankly, their problem. It is also the basis of caveat emptor.

That's pretty much how it works everywhere in the real world.
    10-24-2012 04:00 PM
    Is the iPad 4 substantially better than the iPad 3 in terms of graphics and processing power? If so than this really is a reason to get upset because the Retina display was the iPad's 3 defining spec Now that the processor has been substantially improved to support the Retina display, I feel as though I have a device that lives up to less than it's full potential. I think it was dishonest of Apple to release an incapacitated device knowing a new more substantial one was on the way. I certainly won't buy Apple products on release anymore
    General Tso likes this.
    10-24-2012 04:42 PM
    Is the iPad 4 substantially better than the iPad 3 in terms of graphics and processing power? If so than this really is a reason to get upset because the Retina display was the iPad's 3 defining spec Now that the processor has been substantially improved to support the Retina display, I feel as though I have a device that lives up to less than it's full potential. I think it was dishonest of Apple to release an incapacitated device knowing a new more substantial one was on the way. I certainly won't buy Apple products on release anymore
    First of all, the 3rd generation iPad is not under powered. Compared to the previous generation, it was faster and offered better graphics, But now you're upset because the 4th generation iPad is better than the 3rd gen? Really? The processor in the 3rd generation iPad was better and faster than the 2nd gen... and the 3rd gen device also had a quad-core graphics processor to drive the retina display.

If you really believe that, then you'll never buy another tech device again. There's always a "new more substantial" device "on the way". It is simply the evolution of technology.
    kch50428 likes this.
    10-24-2012 06:29 PM
    My iPad 2 is still getting the job done and I have no intentions of replacing it any time soon unless it goes kaput on me.
    Amen to that

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-24-2012 06:38 PM
    My iPad 2 is still getting the job done and I have no intentions of replacing it any time soon unless it goes kaput on me.
    Same here
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    10-24-2012 06:42 PM
    There is a simple way to get back at Apple for releasing the four so soon. Everyone who bought the iPad 3 just wait till like February when the iPad 3 stock is completely depleted then go to your Apple Store and complain about something not working. (Obviously something will need to not work, but there are many ways to assist with that) They are going to give you a warranty replacement and since they'll be all out of 3s they'll give you a 4. Justice!
    General Tso likes this.
    10-24-2012 08:49 PM
    There is a simple way to get back at Apple for releasing the four so soon. Everyone who bought the iPad 3 just wait till like February when the iPad 3 stock is completely depleted then go to your Apple Store and complain about something not working. (Obviously something will need to not work, but there are many ways to assist with that) They are going to give you a warranty replacement and since they'll be all out of 3s they'll give you a 4. Justice!
    Maybe you'll get a 2 gen iPad...
    10-24-2012 08:56 PM
    talking about honesty ...
    10-24-2012 08:58 PM
    No, they'll still have plenty of replacements, and another iPad 3 is what you'll get.
    10-24-2012 09:02 PM
    How exactly is micro-usb inferior? I actually find that to be ridiculous on Apple products that they continue to go with propitiatory crap.
    You need a different microusb for hdmi out, and the plug to allow USB 3.0 is completely different.
    10-24-2012 10:19 PM
    I somewhat agree with you... Full disclosure I bought an iPad 3 and frankly would have held off with my iPad 2 (which went to my dad) had I known the 4th gen was literally a few months down the pipe...

Seems Apple could have easily held off on the iPad 3 and never release it, and just focus on the 4th gen... Would have made more sense. Would have given more life to the iPad 2, would have coupled the retina with the A6X and not a half baked stop gap like the iPad 3...

I usually don't complain about Apple's release cycles but this is one case where I feel duped by Apple...
    General Tso likes this.
    10-24-2012 10:29 PM
    i just bought my new ipad a week ago so i guess im still in the clear to replace my new ipad for the 4th generation ipad. might as well opt up for the 32gb version this time since 16gb was a little on the light side. even though im happy ill still be able to swap for the newer model i see why people are irked by apple's decision to release this new version. too be honest though, i havent used facetime once so i could care less about the hd facetime camera, the lightning adapter is just going to limit the peripherals available for the time being, the processor while it is nice to always have more power..the new ipad hasn't ever lagged on me yet. really the only thing i care about is the dual-band wifi that's going to make wifi connections stronger.
    10-24-2012 11:09 PM
    Maybe you'll get a 2 gen iPad...
    Definitely not
    10-24-2012 11:17 PM
    No, they'll still have plenty of replacements, and another iPad 3 is what you'll get.
    Being how there's 9 apple stores near me, I'm sure I can find one that's out that week.
    General Tso likes this.
    10-24-2012 11:20 PM
    Definitely not
    It was a joke. But doubtful you'll get a 4th gen device, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-24-2012 11:23 PM
    Being how there's 9 apple stores near me, I'm sure I can find one that's out that week.
    Good luck with that.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    10-25-2012 12:04 AM
    So does that mean you're selling your iPad?
    10-25-2012 12:05 AM
    I just got my ipad 3 last week. It doesn't bother me that a new one came out. It does everything I need it to do. I was already impressed with the speed, battery life, display and LTE on verizon. I'll upgrade when I feel this one no longer suits my needs. By then there will be a newer one.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got my ipad 3 last week. It doesn't bother me that a new one came out. It does everything I need it to do. I was already impressed with the speed, battery life, display and LTE on verizon. I'll upgrade when I feel this one no longer suits my needs. By then there will be a newer one.
    Why don't you use your 14 day window and exchange it for the new one? Some Apple Stores are even doing 30 days if you bought one recently.
    10-25-2012 01:07 AM
    Wow, people are cry babys. Go buy a new car that your strapped to as far as a payment goes for 60 months and after 12 months or less, they will put out a better version. Like someone said earlier on release day, you woke up and the 3rd gen was fine, and then after the announcement its hardly usable LOL. Really? And they didnt really discontinue the 3gen, I promise without looking at the lightning connector, you couldnt tell the difference. Its the same dang iPad with a few upgrades. Makes sense to me what apple has done in regards to the 4th gen ipad since every apple product will eventually have the lightning connector. Start phasing it in now. I dont think they expect those of us with the 3rd gen to go out and buy a 4th gen, but probably would like all future buyers and upgrades to go in this direction.
    10-25-2012 11:04 AM
    I don't like the timing of the ipad 4 release. Feels like my tech has been outdated without any kind of warning.... iHope this isn't a half yearly pattern.....
    10-25-2012 11:06 AM
    I don't like the timing of the ipad 4 release. Feels like my tech has been outdated without any kind of warning.... iHope this isn't a half yearly pattern.....
    What has Apple promised you that they didn't deliver? If it still runs the same apps, runs as fast and as well as it did on Monday, how is it now, suddenly "outdated"?

And the "without any kind of warning" is simply not true. First, Apple has refreshed it's iPhone and iPad line AT LEAST annually... so tell me what difference 5 months makes? Second, there were rumors of an iPad (non-mini) refresh coming along side the iPad Mini release... Heck, android releases new hardware almost weekly... and many of the devices are still running IceCream Sandwich - the older operating system... it's the evolutionary nature of tech.

Sorry you're so disappointed... but the tablet that you have and were using happily on Monday is still the same, functioning and functional tablet that you were quite happy with then.

I honestly don't get all the carping.
    10-25-2012 11:35 AM
    10-25-2012 11:39 AM
    10-25-2012 11:40 AM
247 ... 45678 ...