That was my point, there is a big market for the iPad mini and I felt this event was all about it and that's why I believe the new iPad didn't fit this event from a marketing perspective..
    The 4th-gen iPad is Apple flipping the bird to Microsoft's event this week, and all the competitors who are releasing their latest & greatest devices that were supposed to be the "iPad killer" - albeit 3rd-gen iPad that they are/were trying to 'kill'... I see it fitting quite well into today's event.
    10-23-2012 06:01 PM
    Lets hope app support for the 3rd gen isn't dropped within the next year or two. That is my only concern. I could care less about the newest gen. My 3rd gen is perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets hope app support for the 3rd gen isn't dropped within the next year or two. That is my only concern. I could care less about the newest gen. My 3rd gen is perfect.
    10-23-2012 06:03 PM
    That simply isn't a reasonable concern. First, the resolution is identical between the 3rd and 4th gen iPads... and second, the processor bump is not significant to render any app untolerable on the 3rd gen. The apps will, for the most part, work on all iPads - mini, 2nd gen, 3rd gen and 4th gen. And the 3rd and 4th will have the bonus of running as retina apps.
    justinuriah likes this.
    10-23-2012 06:08 PM
    I am happy with my iPad I have now just odd apple did this they usually don't care who comes out with what. I don't care don't plan on getting anything they announced today.
    10-23-2012 06:12 PM
    I totally agree !
    10-23-2012 06:17 PM
    The 4th-gen iPad is Apple flipping the bird to Microsoft's event this week, and all the competitors who are releasing their latest & greatest devices that were supposed to be the "iPad killer" - albeit 3rd-gen iPad that they are/were trying to 'kill'... I see it fitting quite well into today's event.
    Understand your point but I disagree, Apple knows the Surface and other tablets are years away from killing the iPad and there was really no rush, the smaller iPad's market is a totally different story because they didn't have anything to compete on that price range, the Ipad 3 was selling very well and I think it was important for Apple to focus only on the iPad mini now, sell millions and then come back in March with a much better and beefier iPad 4.
    10-23-2012 06:21 PM
    I reckon Apple are setting a new estimate date for their tablets. I don't see a 5th Gen in March. So they're restarting the annual releases at Oct/Nov for tablets.
    10-23-2012 06:28 PM
    Call me a cry baby if you want but to come out with a fourth gen iPad now is a slap in the face to ipad 3 owners. I'll never buy another ipad. This is Android-esq.
    You're a crybaby. A lightning connector and slightly faster processor is absolutely not a slap in the face.
    10-23-2012 06:46 PM
    That was my point, there is a big market for the iPad mini and I felt this event was all about it and that's why I believe the new iPad didn't fit this event from a marketing perspective..
    They HAD to update it. They could not afford to sell 20 million tablets from now until march that were using a deprecated connector.
    10-23-2012 06:48 PM
    They HAD to update it. They could not afford to sell 20 million tablets from now until march that were using a deprecated connector.
    Tell that to the ipad 2.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    10-23-2012 07:00 PM
    Tell that to the ipad 2.
    Realistically, the 2 is not long for this world. The pricing pressure from the mini and 3 will kill it. Apple may very well be selling through current stock and that'll be it.
    10-23-2012 07:02 PM
    I dont think so, this took everyone by surprise, not even blogs or tech sites saw it coming, they were all expecting just an iPad 3 with a new connector, not a whole new 4th generation iPad.
    The same " deprecated connector" everyone has now and that will still be around for a while ( lots of ipad2, iphone 4, iphone 4s and ipad 3 still out there ).
    10-23-2012 07:09 PM
    Realistically, the 2 is not long for this world. The pricing pressure from the mini and 3 will kill it. Apple may very well be selling through current stock and that'll be it.
    I figured they way they always support devices they would of kept the 3? I'm not saying they won't still support the 3 but unlike the 2 you won't be able to buy it after a while. I thought instead of keeping the 2 sell the iPad 3 cheaper. I thought today would of been more about the mini and save the 4th gen till march.
    10-23-2012 07:10 PM
    I believe the only person to blame is the customers. Remember in March when people complained about the sluggish performance of the A5X on a retina display? Apple actually listened and released a upgraded SOC to handle retina display. Now those customers are complaining (not saying it was anyone in this thread but other people). This is a great reason why Apple shouldn't really listen to customer complaints. There may be a new iPad in March but a bigger upgrade, possibly A7X (iPads always lead with the graphically superior device iPad 1 A4>iPhone 4 A4>iPad 2 A5>iPhone 4S A5>iPad 3 A5X>iPhone 5 A6>iPad 3.5{really 4} A6X>iPad 4 A7X {really 5}) The A6X is really something that fixes the frame drops due to Retina display like Safari or games like Wild Bloods much like the iPhone 4S was to the iPhone 4.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    10-23-2012 07:11 PM
    I dont think so, this took everyone by surprise, not even blogs or tech sites saw it coming, they were all expecting just an iPad 3 with a new connector, not a whole new 4th generation iPad.
    The same " deprecated connector" everyone has now and that will still be around for a while ( lots of ipad2, iphone 4, iphone 4s and ipad 3 still out there ).
    This didn't take anyone by surprise. There have been consistent indications since August that the ipad would get an update too.

And it isn't a whole new iPad. It has a new connector and processor and that's it. There is literally no reason for anyone with an iPad 3 to upgrade to a 4.
    10-23-2012 07:13 PM
    This didn't take anyone by surprise. There have been consistent indications since August that the ipad would get an update too.

And it isn't a whole new iPad. It has a new connector and processor and that's it. There is literally no reason for anyone with an iPad 3 to upgrade to a 4.
    It actually did, and apparently is more than the connector and the processor, it is a new generation iPad, nowhere during the last month I heard Apple was releasing a new generation iPad ahead of it's regular cycle.
    it was reported a new " ipad 3 " with lighting connector would be released and that's not the same thing that happened today.
    10-23-2012 07:16 PM
    It actually did, and apparently is more than the connector and the processor, it is a new generation iPad, nowhere during the last month I heard Apple was releasing a new generation iPad ahead of it's regular cycle..
    It didn't. Not sure where you've been, but a refreshed 3 has been on the radar since before the iPhone 5 was even announced.

And no, it is not a 'new generation iPad'. Literally everything about it is the same minus the processor, Ffc, and connector.
    10-23-2012 07:18 PM
    And no, it is not a 'new generation iPad'. Literally everything about it is the same minus the processor, Ffc, and connector.
    We're not making up the fact that Apple is calling what was announced today the 4th generation iPad. They are. You can not seriously be denying that.
    10-23-2012 07:23 PM
    We're not making up the fact that Apple is calling what was announced today the 4th generation iPad. They are. You can not seriously be denying that.
    They can call it whatever they want, but it is certainly not all new.
    10-23-2012 07:24 PM
    It didn't. Not sure where you've been, but a refreshed 3 has been on the radar since before the iPhone 5 was even announced.

It actually is a 4th generation iPad... ( as in iPad, iPad 2, the New iPad and 4th gen iPad )..
    This is a very decent upgrade that would've been perfectly fine for a March - April release.
    I would appreciate any links about this rumors other than the ones talking about the connector?? I read five or six different tech sites on a daily basis but i probably missed it, rumors about a new processor and the new features of the iPad as well , thanks
    10-23-2012 07:28 PM
    A processor upgrade is significant. Twice as fast? That alone makes it next gen.

Let me guess...if it'd been a different color?
    10-23-2012 07:30 PM
    You can deny it all you want. It is what Apple calls it.
    10-23-2012 07:30 PM
    They can call it the 4th gen iPad but it is not a 4th gen iPad?? Aahhh ok I got it !!!
    10-23-2012 07:31 PM
    I still Luv my iPad 1st Gen.... it works fine....Does what it said it would. To the Cry Babies" Get over it" you care more about saying you have latest ipad rather than the tech.....A Connector and Processor is the difference....What's the big deal...
    10-23-2012 07:34 PM
    So now we all know how Android owners feel
    Guacho likes this.
    10-23-2012 07:39 PM
247 12345 ...