Very upset ipad 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Again, why the hand wringing? The 3rd gen is a perfectly acceptable device... still works exactly as well as it did this morning at 9:59 am PDT... the existence of a new device doesn't make the 3rd gen any less usable.

True, but, and I will admit that I feel a bit of this myself, just the fact that there is something bigger and better is out so quickly after something you recently bought. Everyone wants the latest and greatest. I know that my device is acceptable and better than most tablets on the market. It's just human nature, people want the biggest, best and fastest they can get...

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Not gonna lie I am kinda upset that Apple did this, but at the same time I love my iPad 3 and it works flawlessly so why bother getting a new one? Plus add the fact that its jailbroken and I am perfectly content :)

- - - Updated - - -

Not gonna lie I am kinda upset that Apple did this, but at the same time I love my iPad 3 and it works flawlessly so why bother getting a new one? Plus add the fact that its jailbroken and I am perfectly content :)

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
The 3rd gen is discontinued. They wouldn't keep it if the 4th has better specs and keep it at the same price point.

- - - Updated - - -

The 3rd gen is discontinued. They wouldn't keep it if the 4th has better specs and keep it at the same price point.

So I am even more unsure about my decision right now, but you would hope they would discount the iPad 3 now correct? I don't think $50 off is enough either, I think $100. I hope thats the case as I will get that. I dont need lighting and 2X faster isnt worth that much more imo.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think it makes good sense. This type of refresh would've been met with yawns in March. I'm glad I sold my ipad 3 a few months back to wait for a verizon one this fall. I'll definitely buy a Mini for the kiddo though.

I've always felt the ipad 3 was struggling a bit to push those pixels. The upgraded processor should definitely make a difference. But I'm still not sure I want another one yet since I didn't miss not having one that much.

tduffysd

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I just got my ipad 3 last week. It doesn't bother me that a new one came out. It does everything I need it to do. I was already impressed with the speed, battery life, display and LTE on verizon. I'll upgrade when I feel this one no longer suits my needs. By then there will be a newer one.

- - - Updated - - -

I just got my ipad 3 last week. It doesn't bother me that a new one came out. It does everything I need it to do. I was already impressed with the speed, battery life, display and LTE on verizon. I'll upgrade when I feel this one no longer suits my needs. By then there will be a newer one.

Kotoo

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Really doesn't matter to me. I have planned on giving mine to parents, after I possibly upgrade to Ipad 6. So I think I'll be very satisfied with the 3rd generation till then. Just as many Ipad 2 owners are still happy with theirs. I don't really care to be in this technology race. Feels like too much about specs and nerding, and less about actually using it as a tool in your life.

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Look, if I had paid $250 for it I could understand. I am one who replaces devices yearly. But to pay $500+ and have it replaced in 6 months is a little much. And after the disappointment of iOS 6, I'm done. Jobs is gone and it is starting to show. I'm not expecting a pity party but I will take my business elsewhere. At least with Google, the price points are much lower.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, if I had paid $250 for it I could understand. I am one who replaces devices yearly. But to pay $500+ and have it replaced in 6 months is a little much. And after the disappointment of iOS 6, I'm done. Jobs is gone and it is starting to show. I'm not expecting a pity party but I will take my business elsewhere. At least with Google, the price points are much lower.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...snipped...
Look, if I had paid $250 for it I could understand. I am one who replaces devices yearly. But to pay $500+ and have it replaced in 6 months is a little much. ...snipped...

I agree. If Apple had only introduced the iPad mini, I would think it wouldn't be such a big deal, but to introduce a new full size iPad a little more than 6 months after the current iPad was made available is a legitimate reason to be ticked.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I guess we'll miss you around here... but really... no one has yet explained to my WHY the 3rd gen iPad, which was top dog as of 9:59 this morning is suddenly not unusable. I guess I don't understand the need to buy the latest version of every device that comes out. Seems like a very expensive hobby - buy high, sell low.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess we'll miss you around here... but really... no one has yet explained to my WHY the 3rd gen iPad, which was top dog as of 9:59 this morning is suddenly not unusable. I guess I don't understand the need to buy the latest version of every device that comes out. Seems like a very expensive hobby - buy high, sell low.

I don't think is it a matter of the new iPad being unusable, but more about it being replaced as the flagship device in such a short timeframe. If Apple had waited until January, I doubt it would be an issue.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
@fausty You seem to own the newest products yourself. You can't understand why?

Apple set up expectations of at least a year. This wasn't a simple refresh but a jump in generation in just 6 months. That's a first in the iOS era for them.

Besides, people want their idevices to retain value for as long as possible. It just went down in value 6 months sooner than normal.

I do understand your point though. Nothing has changed. The device is still capable. But now apps will be optimized for that A6X chip. Or it could be a good thing and maybe you pass up March and don't worry about upgrades til next fall if you already own an ipad 3.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
some people "can't wait" for a new Apple product to come out, others get upset when a new product comes out..
sigh !!!!

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

You're going to Google as in " they only release one tablet or smartphone per year" ???

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't think is it a matter of the new iPad being unusable, but more about it being replaced as the flagship device in such a short timeframe. If Apple had waited until January, I doubt it would be an issue.

Well said, I was surprised when they said 4th generation iPad, it was indeed a very short timeframe, it wouldn't be an issue if those complaining now didn't have an ipad 3 before and waited to get the 4th generation now..

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm a little ticked off, but I still love my 3rd gen iPad just as much as I did before today's news. It does everything I want it to do and still has that awesome screen. I'll wait until generation 5 to upgrade. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a little ticked off, but I still love my 3rd gen iPad just as much as I did before today's news. It does everything I want it to do and still has that awesome screen. I'll wait until generation 5 to upgrade. :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
@fausty You seem to own the newest products yourself. You can't understand why?

Apple set up expectations of at least a year. This wasn't a simple refresh but a jump in generation in just 6 months. That's a first in the iOS era for them.

Besides, people want their idevices to retain value for as long as possible. It just went down in value 6 months sooner than normal.

I do understand your point though. Nothing has changed. The device is still capable. But now apps will be optimized for that A6X chip. Or it could be a good thing and maybe you pass up March and don't worry about upgrades til next fall if you already own an ipad 3.

First of all, I have a fair amount of new Apple stuff... and I have 6 kids and 14 grandkids, so stuff gets passed down... but that doesn't mean that I buy every new version of every device that Apple makes... and I am not bent out of shape because my iPad 3rd gen is no longer "top dog".

Apple may have set expectations about annual refresh, but clearly they have not held to that recently... starting with the VZW iPhone being released mid-cycle and then pushing back the iPhone 4S launch by about 4 months. iMacs come out when Apple is ready to refresh them, same with the MacBook Pro/Retina lines... iPods refresh has been all over the map... and now the iPad has fallen out of step... maybe Apple's real message here is that they won't hold to a fixed refresh schedule. It will be interesting to see what happens in March.

I understand that we all have our own cash invested in this stuff, but my point is simply that the device still works exactly as well as it did yesterday, so, apart from no longer being the "new" one, there's nothing lost, IMHO.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

I think the timing of this is more of a preemption of the Microsoft Surface...

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My point is that with Google, the pricing is much lower so it takes some of the sting out of it. I am in no way saying that Google is "better" than Apple. But with Google you pay less and you know what you're getting. (fragmentation) I know technology is constantly advancing. But for Apple to do this so soon is just wrong IMO and I will move on. I'm sure the Apple execs are losing sleep over losing me as a customer. ;) But I'll bet I'm not the only upset customer.

- - - Updated - - -

My point is that with Google, the pricing is much lower so it takes some of the sting out of it. I am in no way saying that Google is "better" than Apple. But with Google you pay less and you know what you're getting. (fragmentation) I know technology is constantly advancing. But for Apple to do this so soon is just wrong IMO and I will move on. I'm sure the Apple execs are losing sleep over losing me as a customer. ;) But I'll bet I'm not the only upset customer.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This saved Apple a letdown for next March. What the heck kinda event would they have been able to hold
with this 4th gen as the main event? lol

- - - Updated - - -

This saved Apple a letdown for next March. What the heck kinda event would they have been able to hold
with this 4th gen as the main event? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR