Really doesn't matter to me. I have planned on giving mine to parents, after I possibly upgrade to Ipad 6. So I think I'll be very satisfied with the 3rd generation till then. Just as many Ipad 2 owners are still happy with theirs. I don't really care to be in this technology race. Feels like too much about specs and nerding, and less about actually using it as a tool in your life.
    10-23-2012 03:17 PM
    Look, if I had paid $250 for it I could understand. I am one who replaces devices yearly. But to pay $500+ and have it replaced in 6 months is a little much. And after the disappointment of iOS 6, I'm done. Jobs is gone and it is starting to show. I'm not expecting a pity party but I will take my business elsewhere. At least with Google, the price points are much lower.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, if I had paid $250 for it I could understand. I am one who replaces devices yearly. But to pay $500+ and have it replaced in 6 months is a little much. And after the disappointment of iOS 6, I'm done. Jobs is gone and it is starting to show. I'm not expecting a pity party but I will take my business elsewhere. At least with Google, the price points are much lower.
    seanpr and pupperdog like this.
    10-23-2012 03:43 PM
    ...snipped...
    Look, if I had paid $250 for it I could understand. I am one who replaces devices yearly. But to pay $500+ and have it replaced in 6 months is a little much. ...snipped...
    I agree. If Apple had only introduced the iPad mini, I would think it wouldn't be such a big deal, but to introduce a new full size iPad a little more than 6 months after the current iPad was made available is a legitimate reason to be ticked.
    10-23-2012 03:56 PM
    I guess we'll miss you around here... but really... no one has yet explained to my WHY the 3rd gen iPad, which was top dog as of 9:59 this morning is suddenly not unusable. I guess I don't understand the need to buy the latest version of every device that comes out. Seems like a very expensive hobby - buy high, sell low.
    kch50428 likes this.
    10-23-2012 03:56 PM
    I guess we'll miss you around here... but really... no one has yet explained to my WHY the 3rd gen iPad, which was top dog as of 9:59 this morning is suddenly not unusable. I guess I don't understand the need to buy the latest version of every device that comes out. Seems like a very expensive hobby - buy high, sell low.
    I don't think is it a matter of the new iPad being unusable, but more about it being replaced as the flagship device in such a short timeframe. If Apple had waited until January, I doubt it would be an issue.
    General Tso likes this.
    10-23-2012 04:02 PM
    @fausty You seem to own the newest products yourself. You can't understand why?

Apple set up expectations of at least a year. This wasn't a simple refresh but a jump in generation in just 6 months. That's a first in the iOS era for them.

Besides, people want their idevices to retain value for as long as possible. It just went down in value 6 months sooner than normal.

I do understand your point though. Nothing has changed. The device is still capable. But now apps will be optimized for that A6X chip. Or it could be a good thing and maybe you pass up March and don't worry about upgrades til next fall if you already own an ipad 3.
    Just_Me_D and pupperdog like this.
    10-23-2012 04:08 PM
    some people "can't wait" for a new Apple product to come out, others get upset when a new product comes out..
    sigh !!!!
    10-23-2012 04:09 PM

- - - Updated - - -

You're going to Google as in " they only release one tablet or smartphone per year" ???
    10-23-2012 04:13 PM
    I don't think is it a matter of the new iPad being unusable, but more about it being replaced as the flagship device in such a short timeframe. If Apple had waited until January, I doubt it would be an issue.
    Well said, I was surprised when they said 4th generation iPad, it was indeed a very short timeframe, it wouldn't be an issue if those complaining now didn't have an ipad 3 before and waited to get the 4th generation now..
    10-23-2012 04:18 PM
    I'm a little ticked off, but I still love my 3rd gen iPad just as much as I did before today's news. It does everything I want it to do and still has that awesome screen. I'll wait until generation 5 to upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a little ticked off, but I still love my 3rd gen iPad just as much as I did before today's news. It does everything I want it to do and still has that awesome screen. I'll wait until generation 5 to upgrade.
    10-23-2012 04:19 PM
    @fausty You seem to own the newest products yourself. You can't understand why?

Apple set up expectations of at least a year. This wasn't a simple refresh but a jump in generation in just 6 months. That's a first in the iOS era for them.

Besides, people want their idevices to retain value for as long as possible. It just went down in value 6 months sooner than normal.

I do understand your point though. Nothing has changed. The device is still capable. But now apps will be optimized for that A6X chip. Or it could be a good thing and maybe you pass up March and don't worry about upgrades til next fall if you already own an ipad 3.
    First of all, I have a fair amount of new Apple stuff... and I have 6 kids and 14 grandkids, so stuff gets passed down... but that doesn't mean that I buy every new version of every device that Apple makes... and I am not bent out of shape because my iPad 3rd gen is no longer "top dog".

Apple may have set expectations about annual refresh, but clearly they have not held to that recently... starting with the VZW iPhone being released mid-cycle and then pushing back the iPhone 4S launch by about 4 months. iMacs come out when Apple is ready to refresh them, same with the MacBook Pro/Retina lines... iPods refresh has been all over the map... and now the iPad has fallen out of step... maybe Apple's real message here is that they won't hold to a fixed refresh schedule. It will be interesting to see what happens in March.

I understand that we all have our own cash invested in this stuff, but my point is simply that the device still works exactly as well as it did yesterday, so, apart from no longer being the "new" one, there's nothing lost, IMHO.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    10-23-2012 04:20 PM
    I think the timing of this is more of a preemption of the Microsoft Surface...
    General Tso and DaPhoneking like this.
    10-23-2012 04:22 PM
    My point is that with Google, the pricing is much lower so it takes some of the sting out of it. I am in no way saying that Google is "better" than Apple. But with Google you pay less and you know what you're getting. (fragmentation) I know technology is constantly advancing. But for Apple to do this so soon is just wrong IMO and I will move on. I'm sure the Apple execs are losing sleep over losing me as a customer. But I'll bet I'm not the only upset customer.

- - - Updated - - -

My point is that with Google, the pricing is much lower so it takes some of the sting out of it. I am in no way saying that Google is "better" than Apple. But with Google you pay less and you know what you're getting. (fragmentation) I know technology is constantly advancing. But for Apple to do this so soon is just wrong IMO and I will move on. I'm sure the Apple execs are losing sleep over losing me as a customer. But I'll bet I'm not the only upset customer.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    10-23-2012 04:25 PM
    I think the timing of this is more of a preemption of the Microsoft Surface...
    You may be right, Keith...Great point!
    10-23-2012 04:25 PM
    This saved Apple a letdown for next March. What the heck kinda event would they have been able to hold
    with this 4th gen as the main event? lol

- - - Updated - - -

This saved Apple a letdown for next March. What the heck kinda event would they have been able to hold
    with this 4th gen as the main event? lol
    cardfan likes this.
    10-23-2012 04:26 PM
    One of my friends who purchased the 3 is upset by this release. But, seriously, this is the nature of technology; people need to quit whining.
    Tre likes this.
    10-23-2012 04:27 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of jumping ship to Android, how about altering what devices you replace on a yearly basis. For instance, replace the iPhone every year but not the iPad. Don't get me wrong, you can do whatever you want to do. It's your life, money & choice. I think it was wrong for Apple to introduce the 4th generation iPad so soon after the new iPad was introduced, but I don't think it was something that would make me change platforms. Apple will lose your monetary support by you moving to Android or refusing to buy the newest iPad. Anyway, again, you can do what you want. I'm just throwing in my opinion of it. That's all.
    10-23-2012 04:32 PM
    @Fausty I'd quote you and everything but it's not letting me. At this point, I feel lucky i can log in and post.

But none of those examples you gave were shortened 6 month new gen products. Even the verizon iphone was just a same gen product. The refreshed ipad 2 was just that, a refresh. It wasn't a generation jump.

Regarding your last point. That's fine if we buy products for today. Sure some do that and it still works today. But we also buy anticipating our future needs as well. And the future of the ipad 3 has been cut short. We could see an ipad 5 next year and we know how Apple leaves out future software features for older gen products.
    10-23-2012 04:44 PM
    @Fausty I'd quote you and everything but it's not letting me. At this point, I feel lucky i can log in and post.

But none of those examples you gave were shortened 6 month new gen products. Even the verizon iphone was just a same gen product. The refreshed ipad 2 was just that, a refresh. It wasn't a generation jump.

Regarding your last point. That's fine if we buy products for today. Sure some do that and it still works today. But we also buy anticipating our future needs as well. And the future of the ipad 3 has been cut short. We could see an ipad 5 next year and we know how Apple leaves out future software features for older gen products.

Not to belabor this any more than necessary (ok, is it really necessary? ), but Keith brings up and excellent point that I had not considered... While there were rumors about some sort of refresh of the iPad for the lightning connector, Keith makes the point that with the Microsoft Surface releasing this week, Apple may very well have fired a pre-emptive strike at them. Google also has an announcement coming up soon... so perhaps this was as much (or more) an offensive against them as it was a refresh for refreshing's sake.

I understand the viewpoint of those who are annoyed by the new iPad, but it doesn't bother me that much that my iPad 3rd gen is no longer the newest Apple iPad on the planet.

Time to move on... this horse has been beaten to a pulp.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had good luck quoting by double-clicking the Reply With Quote button.

back to the discussion.
    kch50428 and cardfan like this.
    10-23-2012 04:59 PM
    You sound a lot like my niece when she does something and it isn't right the first time...she swears she's done with it forever...she's also 8.
    10-23-2012 05:04 PM
    10-23-2012 05:19 PM
    Not to belabor this any more than necessary (ok, is it really necessary? ), but Keith brings up and excellent point that I had not considered... While there were rumors about some sort of refresh of the iPad for the lightning connector, Keith makes the point that with the Microsoft Surface releasing this week, Apple may very well have fired a pre-emptive strike at them. Google also has an announcement coming up soon... so perhaps this was as much (or more) an offensive against them as it was a refresh for refreshing's sake.

I understand the viewpoint of those who are annoyed by the new iPad, but it doesn't bother me that much that my iPad 3rd gen is no longer the newest Apple iPad on the planet.

Time to move on... this horse has been beaten to a pulp.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had good luck quoting by double-clicking the Reply With Quote button.

back to the discussion.
    Not sure what's new to the new iPad besides the processor and the new connector, if this is it I believe the iPad 3 is more than enough as an offensive move towards Microsoft even seven months later , really weird move from Apple specially now when they want to sell millions of the new iPad mini..
    10-23-2012 05:47 PM
    ...really weird move from Apple specially now when they want to sell millions of the new iPad mini..
    They'll sell millions of minis. To people that don't what the full sized iPad. Those people do exist.
    10-23-2012 05:51 PM
    They'll sell millions of minis. To people that don't what the full sized iPad. Those people do exist.
    That was my point, there is a big market for the iPad mini and I felt this event was all about it and that's why I believe the new iPad didn't fit this event from a marketing perspective..
    10-23-2012 05:56 PM
    All I was saying I thought they would keep the iPad 3, not the iPad 2 since they introduced a new gen iPad. Just seems odd they came out with another gen so quick no matter what was coming out.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    10-23-2012 05:57 PM
247 1234 ...