I am thinking of getting the new Ipad, or perhaps the Ipad Mini. I want to be able to use the tablet for most everything for which I currently use my laptop and Kindle Reader. OK, I know I have to make compromises and it won't be perfect for everything, but do many of you use your Ipad for reading books and magazines? I know the 7" tablets are easy to hold, but I'm not sure how easy the bigger and heavier 10" tablets are, and would like some comments and info from those of you who use them, or have tried to use them for this.
    10-22-2012 11:52 AM
    I do use my iPad on occasion to read my nook & kindle ebooks, but not for long periods of time because of its weight. The iPad is not a heavy device, but it does get heavy after holding it for a period of time unlike my e-readers...at least in my experience. Having said that, I would wait at least until the iPad mini is introduced before making up your mind because it may or may not be what you want. The iPad is indeed a excellent all-around device that should be sufficient for a majority of computing and ebook reading needs, but it does not completely replace laptops or e-readers, at least not yet. Anyway, good luck with whatever device you end up getting and have a pleasant day...
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 10-22-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    10-22-2012 02:00 PM
    I read on my iPad (the new one) all the time. I don't find it too heavy but I'm not holding it straight out. On the couch I may have an elbow on the couch arm, in bed I would usually have it propped on my chest or stomach. I read a lot of newspapers, magazines, and ebooks on it.
    10-22-2012 04:39 PM
    Thanks...I am waiting to see Tues announcement. For reading my first choice is a 7" tablet, but overall I would prefer the larger screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks...I usually read sitting in a chair, so I have the option of placing it in my lap or holding it. Also, the size and weight don't seem much different than a hardcover book. For books, a 7" tablet would be fine, but I think for magazines and other uses I would want the 10". I may try out a large "coffee table" book and see how that feels. Have you had any issues with the heat from the Ipad?
    10-22-2012 05:10 PM
    It gets warm but not too warm to hold comfortably. Also it most gets warm when playing graphically intensive games not when just reading.
    10-22-2012 05:21 PM