Does the "Sent from my iPad" email signature make you seem unprofessional?

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The iPad is a perfectly acceptable and universal work device, so any correspondence "Sent from my iPad" should be just as official and professional as any other email.

I use my iPhone/iPad for work emails as well as personal ones. On my BlackBerry, I was able to have my business signature (name, title, company, address, phone, fax, website, etc.) on my business email account and my personal email signatures were empty.

With the iPhone/iPad all signatures currently are the same across all emails so I have signatures empty on my iPhone and keep my work signature on the notepad and copy-paste it whenever I write a business email. My iPad default signature is my business signature and when I do write a personal email on the iPad, I just have to remember to delete the business sig.

I can't wait until the signatures are customizable for each email account!

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't agree with the article. I don't think that a lot of people really put a lot of stock in the email signature. If most people are like me, they were just too lazy to change the signature. I definitely don't look at it as a status symbol or some means to get attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's just not necessary and has information that just isn't relevant IMO. I also commented on the front page post about emails where the signature is longer than the email itself. Your post does the same ;-)

Edit: a signature is for something like your name, useful contact info, etc. "Sent from my....<whatever>" just doesn't (to me) seem necessary, useful, helpful, etc.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
...about emails where the signature is longer than the email itself. Your post does the same ;-)

Quickly sync files between your desktop and iPhone with DropBox
Keep passwords secure with Lastpass
Pot, meet Kettle. :D

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Pot, meet Kettle. :D

Ha! Was wondering who would pick up on that. ;-)
That's also the difference I was pointing out with what is useful or not. But maybe not for everyone. I stand by my assessment that "sent from my..." isn't necessary.
On another note I have someone I work with that has

"Thanks,
John"

For his signature at work. I always crack up at emails that come over and say:

"Thanks!

Thanks,
John"

I have a pet peeve about that too - maybe the problem is me!! :p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The issue I have is with people who have taken upon themselves to decide what is relevant and what is irrelevant in regard to the topic of this thread. Everybody who sends email is not sending it from a business account and therefore, so-called relevant information may be irrelevant in that regard. Can I, as an iPad owner, not use the default signature, "Sent from my iPad"? Will reading that particular signature at the end of the email cause you to go insane? If the body of the message contained serious medical information about a child of yours and at the end of that message was the signature, "Sent from my iPad", will you even give that signature a second thought or will you be focused on the medical information contained in the body of the message? The signature, "sent from my iPad", is not vulgar, racially insensitive, defamatory, or arguably inciteful. It basically advises the recipient(s) that the message, regardless of the subject, was sent from his or her iPad.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Taking it a bit too seriously, are we? My opinion doesn't mean you can't do what you want - I couldn't care less what others do. My sun will still rise in the morning if people do what makes them happy even if I don't agree with it. :)

Fatboy71

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I changed mine from the default shortly after getting it, I done the same too on my iPhone.

My signature now shows:

Thanks
My Name

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
What possible use does "Sent from my iPad" have? To inform people you have an iPad? What value does that provide other than if you want to brag or feel in the mainstream?

It is kind of lazy because that is the default signature. Nice job personalizing on your part if you don't change it. It just looks like you don't know how, you are way too proud of having an iPad, or you make minimal effort.

Signatures in general are to inform people about who you are, where you work, or other personal information you want to communicate. If you want to communicate you have an iPad, good for you but people like me view it as kind of lazy.

It is not a big deal, and I don't make a big deal out of it. I don't comment to people about it because I don't try to offend people in that way. But since the topic came up, I thought I would comment along with the rest of you. Some of you are emotional about it because you are extra proud of owning a top end device. Good for you. My view won't change on it.

Kevin's post has nothing to do with saying the iPad is not an acceptable device. That little offshoot of this topic definitely makes you look sensitive. I hate the whole "iSheep" thing where people think those of us using iPhone and iPad's are not serious users as much as anyone. However, that is not what was intended with his post. I will say that not changing your signature from the default furthers the iSheep viewpoint. Sorry if that hurts.

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I say it's slightly unprofessional. Best case scenario it's an advertisement for Apple. Worst case scenario it's interpreted as bragging. People don't care what brand of device your email originated from. Either get rid of it or change it to something useful.

---------------
Sent from my iPad.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What possible use does "Sent from my iPad" have? To inform people you have an iPad?
Yes. Whether or not you agree that it is useful is irrelevant.
What value does that provide other than if you want to brag or feel in the mainstream?
A wise quote sums it up: "What doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others".

It is kind of lazy because that is the default signature.
What if a person likes the default signature and in that case, how does it make him or her lazy?
Nice job personalizing on your part if you don't change it.
I thought personalizing something was an "option" a/k/a "choice". Meaning: I can if I want to, but I don't have to.
It just looks like you don't know how, you are way too proud of having an iPad, or you make minimal effort.
Therein lies the problem. Why do you care about how it makes someone else look? Is it not their device to do whatever they please just like you do with yours?

Signatures in general are to inform people about who you are, where you work, or other personal information you want to communicate.
In general, I agree, but "in general" isn't a law. I will argue that, in personal use, it is irrelevant. For example, 99% of the recipients who have my primary email address are listed in my contacts book and when I receive an email from them, their name is clearly displayed in the 'from' field. In other words, I know who the message is from long before I read the sender's signature.
If you want to communicate you have an iPad, good for you but people like me view it as kind of lazy.
No problem

It is not a big deal, and I don't make a big deal out of it.
That's debatable. Your comments above say otherwise, in my opinion. ;)
I don't comment to people about it because I don't try to offend people in that way.
I believe you. I like playing devil's advocate from time to time.
But since the topic came up, I thought I would comment along with the rest of you.
I'm glad you did.
Some of you are emotional about it because you are extra proud of owning a top end device. Good for you. My view won't change on it.
Didn't you just state that it wasn't a big deal and yet, you're jabbing at people who use the default signature as being "extra proud..." seemingly because you don't understand why they use it.

Kevin's post has nothing to do with saying the iPad is not an acceptable device.
Okay
That little offshoot of this topic definitely makes you look sensitive.
Can 'you' be a bit more specific about the 'you' you're referring to?
I hate the whole "iSheep" thing where people think those of us using iPhone and iPad's are not serious users as much as anyone.
That statement makes 'you' a bit sensitive, don't you think?
However, that is not what was intended with his post. I will say that not changing your signature from the default furthers the iSheep viewpoint. Sorry if that hurts.
Personally, I'm aware of my capabilities as well as my faults and thus, have no worries about what others think. Furthermore, I have no problem agreeing to disagree. Anyway, thank you for your reply. I really enjoyed reading it. Take care and enjoy the rest of your Sunday. :)

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
No signature for me. Whether mobile email or actual work email. Everyone else in the company has one, but I choose not to.

This is my way of e-mailing. No signature. Not even when I'm engaging with e-mails with suppliers for work.

I just find it ironic that Kevin is the one who started this whole debate talking about how it's unprofessional.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I just find it ironic that Kevin is the one who started this whole debate talking about how it's unprofessional.

I think CB-Kevin's comment came out of bigotry and pomposity.

And maybe, he's just pizzled-off that his beloved RIM is in such sorry shape, and that manifested itself in his comment... (/armchair psychologist) :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal