Does the "Sent from my iPad" email signature make you seem unprofessional?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After reading the article via the iMore blog, I became slightly annoyed. I disagree that the default "Sent from my iPad" signature is unprofessional and the points that Kevin was trying to make had little merit, in my opinion. Since when does the signature become more important than the body of the email? If a sender wanted a response, who cares if the response came via iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac or Windows computer? I would argue that *some* people who claim to dislike the default signature dislikes it because of envy. Besides, how many people have complained about signatures that are more than 4 lines or have contained large artwork? A lot, especially in forums and yet a 4-word signature is somehow unprofessional? Whatever!

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not! If it were, the Doctors at the Hospital I work in wouldn't use it. I just think the whole thing is laughable as "most" of the time I don't even look at a persons signature since I know who it was from by the email address. I use whatever signature that I want and couldn't be bothered by what people think of it....

Sent from my iPad. :D

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it's unprofessional, but I do find it needless and a bit tacky. Why not use that signature space for something more useful? And while the iPad version isn't terrible, there are some truly awful carrier versions: " Sent on my Doohickey Formula 44 Smartphone, Powered by Verizon's Blazing 4G Network." Now THOSE look ridiculous and unprofessional?like giving someone one of those business cards that are "free" to you but have an advertisement for the printer on the back.

The worst, though, are the addresses themselves. Nothing says unprofessional like kittylovr3826@hotmail. Those boggle my mind.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it's unprofessional, but I do find it needless and a but tacky. Why not use that signature space for something more useful?
Isn't that space reserved for however the owner wishes to use it? Who's to say that having the signature, "Sent from my iPad", isn't useful to the sender?
And while the iPad version isn't terrible, there are some truly awful carrier versions: " Sent on my Doohickey Formula 44 Smartphone, Powered by Verizon's Blazing 4G Network." Now THOSE look ridiculous and unprofessional?like giving someone one of those business cards that are "free" to you but have an advertisement for the printer on the back.
I hear you, but again, people are smart enough to assume that the sender is simply using the default signature that came with their device and unless it is something that's way out there, many readers will not give the signature a second look, in my opinion.

The worst, though, are the addresses themselves. Nothing says unprofessional like kittylovr3826@hotmail. Those boggle my mind.
Now here, I'm in full agreement and I'm my own worst enemy. My signature -Just Me, D- is known by everyone who knows me personally and if my recipients do not see that signature, they will doubt that the message is from me. Having said that, there have been occasions where I've sent business related emails to non-personal entities in which I had forgotten to delete my trademark signature for a more "appropriate" one and felt like an idiot afterwards. Hahaha. It doesn't happen that often, however. ;) Anyway, thank you for responding and have a pleasant day.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
4th from the top.... The one about bigotry/arrogance. And yeah, I deleted the post after seeing the link didn't go where I wanted it to...

The person who wrote the reply is onto something and his or her examples are spot-on, in my opinion. Those that have are always pushed to appease those that have not whereas the have-nots seem to always despise the haves for having and try to make it shameful for them to have. I definitely see a slight correlation between my analogy and Kevin's remarks.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think Crackberry Kevin is having some issues with RIM's fall from grace as a tech powerhouse and it manifested itself in this drivel. Maybe Georgia can do a psych analysis of that and make a blog post on it. :D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think Crackberry Kevin is having some issues with RIM's fall from grace as a tech powerhouse and it manifested itself in this drivel. Maybe Georgia can do a psych analysis of that and make a blog post on it. :D

(laughing)...You may be onto something there, my friend :)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Interesting, I would never think that way--to me it has nothing to do with what I think of the iPad. The issue would be the same if it were "Sent from my Retina MBP." For me it's just a question of letter writing standards?I feel the same way about any signature that isn't some form of name/contact info. The rest, to me, is just clutter I'm forcing on the person receiving my mail. (Long quotes from Buddha, a paragraph about privacy and intended recipients, please save trees and do not print this email, etc.)

I'm curious about the idea that it would be useful to the sender, though; can you expand on that idea?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I just don't think it matters where an email is sent from which is why I leave that part blank. I also don't agree with his premise that "sent from mobile" can excuse typos or bad writing for business purposes. Sure, "sent from mobile" can indicate you're responsive even on the go, but it should never be meant to excuse/expect mistakes.

The bottom line is what the client sees in that email is you talking to them. It represents you and your company. Be specific and only include what is needed. And proofread quickly before tapping send.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...(snipped)...

I'm curious about the idea that it would be useful to the sender, though; can you expand on that idea?

What is considered useful is subjective, but, for the sake of argument, what if the sender wanted his or her recipients to know that he or she had an iPad? Wouldn't his or her "Sent from my iPad" signature be useful for that particular purpose? I have no doubt that some people have that intention. Just because some people may find it distasteful or useless doesn't mean that everyone will.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
It is a completely useless signature and it seems like you are trying to brag about having an iPad, much like it was intended with the original iPhone. I think it makes people seem a little lazy or not tech savvy.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is a completely useless signature
Why is it useless?
and it seems like you are trying to brag about having an iPad, much like it was intended with the original iPhone.
What is wrong with being excited about having a new iPhone or iPad and letting your recipients know that you got one or both via an email signature?
I think it makes people seem a little lazy or not tech savvy.
How so?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more with Kevin's post. I send many long emails from my iPad and I do value my time. It would take my longer to fire up my Mac just to type out that email. Signatures shouldn't matter. Mine still says "Sent from my iPad". :D

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more with Kevin's post. I send many long emails from my iPad and I do value my time. It would take my longer to fire up my Mac just to type out that email. Signatures shouldn't matter. Mine still says "Sent from my iPad". :D

I don't agree about that either. That a person isn't valuing his (or your time billed) time if he uses an ipad to send an email. But then again, I know better as that's how I bill my clients, by the hour. But here's a hint, it's never that accurate. I've seen people in my firm wait til the last of the month to fill in all their hours. It's not fun. It's a hassle. And it's definitely not accurate.

Anyway, you total up the hours and bill the client. If it sounds like too much, you adjust them. It's common sense basically. That's your "realized" billable hours.

Still, I don't include things the client doesn't need to know in the sig. The less a client knows and all... As Kevin said, why risk it?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't agree about that either. That a person isn't valuing his (or your time billed) time if he uses an ipad to send an email. But then again, I know better as that's how I bill my clients, by the hour. But here's a hint, it's never that accurate. I've seen people in my firm wait til the last of the month to fill in all their hours. It's not fun. It's a hassle. And it's definitely not accurate.

Anyway, you total up the hours and bill the client. If it sounds like too much, you adjust them. It's common sense basically. That's your "realized" billable hours.

Still, I don't include things the client doesn't need to know in the sig. The less a client knows and all... As Kevin said, why risk it?

I see the point but people should never assume. Maybe the guy was typing on a Bluetooth keyboard case or something. We are in a tablet world now. They are used for business in many situations. I don't think there are many people who think down on somebody who sends a email on any tablet.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I see the point but people should never assume. Maybe the guy was typing on a Bluetooth keyboard case or something. We are in a tablet world now. They are used for business in many situations. I don't think there are many people who think down on somebody who sends a email on any tablet.

This is spot-on, in my opinion. ;)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I like CB Kevin. He's a cool cat. But saying that your email signature showing you're sending from a tablet isn't professional is funny coming from him. When CB linked a review for the iPad 3 on the CB homepage, the people there kept pressuring Kevin into doing something about it. So the next day after Adam Zeis originally posted that review link, Kevin did the same thing. Only with a headline pic of himself holding a Playbook and him squatting pretending to take a caca while there was an iPad underneath him. I'm all for immature fun and games. Just don't say an email signature from a tablet is unprofessional.

cbf0169a40bba345fc8cc111eedfd5ca.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro