How do you type on your iPad?

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
My first iPad will not arrive until Tuesday, but I'm looking for tips. I'm sorry to see the above, because on my Android tablet I'm using Hacker's Keyboard, which gives you basically the same keyboard layout as your desktop: Esc, Tab, Ctrl, Alt, and ARROWS). The arrows are great!

OTOH, I like typing with two index fingers for the convenience in positioning the tablet. I touch type, so I know where the keys are and can go pretty fast.

So it there a third party keyboard that provides a desktop-type layout?

Lane

Apple sells a really nice bluetooth keyboard, but it is detached (not a part of a case). I have used it and it is pretty cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I use my thumbs when in portrait, or my "T-Rex" fingers (2nd and middle fingers on both hands) when in landscape. Can't touch type on glass. I also use the Apple wireless keyboard if I have something long to type out.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Same here about the split keyboard. I was also wondering the purpose of the undocked keyboard setting.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Ditto on the thumbs down (pun intended :p ) for the split/undocked mode. Does not work for me at all and it makes the iPad impossible for me to hold. I have an Apple bluetooth keyboard for work but find that I rarely use it since most of my work involves actually using the broswer, the touchscreen keyboard is just more convenient. I type regularly on the iPad if it's on a desk, thumbs or pecking if I am leaning back and relaxing or lying down nd on the iPhone it's the thumb method, of course. ;)

mhuggins41

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
i use the Rocketfish capsule case..... it has built in BT keyboard that automatically turns off and on as well as it makes my iPad look like a laptop.... i love this case

parle-g

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I personally have learned how to type on my iPad in the traditional style that I would use with a regular laptop computer. I used to do the two finger peck and had become really fast at that method. I started typing in the traditional style just recently. I was horrible at it at first, but with some practice I have become pretty good at it. What about everyone else? Are you using your thumbs? Traditional method? Two finger peck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It takes a while but eventually you get used to it, when I got the Ipad I figured I NEED to get a keyboard, but so far it's kind of faster to type without one, you just have to make sure to lift your fingers up, other than that its pretty easy to get used to

ziffos

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I use the screen keyboard when "on the move" but when I am at my desk I use the stunning Logitech Bluetooth keyboard for iPad.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I use a more or less "six finger system". It is fast enough for me and I never managed to learn "real" typing.

On the keyboard question: I really like iPad Apple Keyboard... although it is only usable in portrait mode, which is sometimes a little annoying. Apps like Keynote are just not usable :( Otherwise I love it.

Johannes

dwayne.williams

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It takes a while but eventually you get used to it, when I got the Ipad I figured I NEED to get a keyboard, but so far it's kind of faster to type without one, you just have to make sure to lift your fingers up, other than that its pretty easy to get used to

One advantage is the predictive type. It can make typing on the screen easier.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk