Orientation stuck

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a bit of a weird issue here. Recently (about the past week or so), my iPad will become stuck in whichever orientation it happens to be in. Has anyone else had this issue with the new iPads? I've read online that others had similar issues, but those were with the iPad 2, and way back on iOS 4.2.

(To preempt the good-natured suggestions about the orientation lock setting and button to the left of the music controls, I know about those. They don't help.)

I have to do a respring or full reboot to get it working properly, and even then it only rotates for a good 5 minutes or so. I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this, or has any advice. The only thing I haven't tried yet was a full restore of the OS, which may be next. It's under warranty (obviously), in case it turns out to be a hardware issue. I'm currently stationed in Japan, so shipping these to and fro isn't really an option, especially now with that USPS ban on shipping items with lithium batteries in them.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a device issue... Like the accelerometer or something inside the pad itself... Have you tried "shaking vigorously" when it's stuck?

Reactions: Chop

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My iPad has done that once or twice... to fix it, I set the rotation lock ON, and then rotated the iPad several times... then turned the rotation lock OFF and rotated it again... it seems to work for me. I agree, it could be a sticking/faulty accelerometer... Mine has been fine of late.

Reactions: Chop

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
My iPad has done that once or twice... to fix it, I set the rotation lock ON, and then rotated the iPad several times... then turned the rotation lock OFF and rotated it again... it seems to work for me. I agree, it could be a sticking/faulty accelerometer... Mine has been fine of late.

Tried that as well... nothing.

Ah well. I may just have to deal with it until I get back to the States then.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I had this same problem yesterday on my iPad 2. I switched the settings so that the mute switch locks rotation and then turned it off. A reset hadn't helped. Definitely seems to be a bit of faulty hardware.

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Apparently, these gyroscope/accelerometer "sticks" can be tweak-related. Mine seems to have been directly tied to the Mountain Center tweak, which mimics the side-loading Notification Center of the upcoming OSX Mountain Lion.

Just a FYI, in case anyone may have been having similar issues. I notified the developer of the tweak; haven't heard back yet.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Are you saying you should have put this in the jailbreak forum to start with? (Which still wouldn't explain mine, since I'm not jailbroken.)

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Quite possibly, except that I didn't know that it was due to a Cydia tweak. Besides, my wife has the same tweak still installed on hers, and has had zero orientation issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods