iPad or MacBook air

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
So my 2008 MacBook is on its last days, and I'm in the market for a new computer. At first I decided on the refreshed MacBook Air, but the price with configurations is pretty steep.*

My other option is getting an iMac or a Mac mini and display along with an iPad 3 for stuff on the go. I'm a university student and I need something portable but I can't just have an iPad. what do you recommend?*

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't imagine that the combination of an iMac and an iPad would be significantly cheaper than the MBA that you have picked out...

And IMHO, a single device as portable as a MBA would be hard to beat. It's fast, light and pretty powerful. If you really need more storage than you can afford, I'd suggest a small external USB drive.

But we should probably talk about your NEEDS before trying to answer your question...

What will you be using these devices for? Writing papers? Taking notes? Reading e-books/pdf files?

What specific function do you see yourself accomplishing with a MBA? What about an iPad? And an iMac?

For you and your needs. where does the functionality of these devices intersect?

What's your budget? What can you comfortably afford to spend on this (these) device(s)?

After you analyze your needs, you may see some clear cut choices falling out of that.

And FWIW, I still see the iPad as a data consumption device rather than a data creation device. Both the iMac and the MBA are well suited to both creation and consumption...

Good luck with your decision... and don't forget to take advantage of any educational discount... Apple is good about that...

Reactions: lawls

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Also check out Apple's refurb site. They have some great deals there on earlier models which will help you save some money instead of paying full price on the latest laptop/computer.

Laura Knotek

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Also check out Apple's refurb site. They have some great deals there on earlier models which will help you save some money instead of paying full price on the latest laptop/computer.

That is an excellent idea. One of my friends got a great deal on a refurbished MacBook Pro.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I always check there especially when new models come out because the prices drop significantly and you still get the one year Apple Care warranty.

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Yeah if I were going to get an imac it would be a 21 inch refurb from 20011.

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I basically need something for taking notes (possibly), essays, general web browsing, photoshop (not anything too heavy), movies.
I have an iPad 1 now and I have taken notes in class with it last year but ever since iOS 5 it's been kind of slow.
The iPad would be my on the go device for internet and documents, and the iMac would be my main computer in my dorm. Another thing is I wont have WIFI in my dorm so I'd always have to be connected to ethernet (so i'd have to get an adapter for an air).

The air does have more functionality on the go, which I like. I definitely like taking notes on my MacBook more than my iPad currently.

The refurb iMac/iPad combo comes to $1,798.00.

I am leaning towards the Air, with 2.0GHz I i7,8GB RAM, 512GB Flash Storage. But with that it ends up being 2,158.

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I see no reason to get an 8GB Air when you're debating a refurbished 2011 iMac (standard 4 GB RAM). You can easily do with 4 GB of memory. The HD on the MBA might hold you back if you plan to have lots of video/pictures. However I think as a college student, the MBA will be more versatile than having an iPad full time. I see some student who just have an iPad but I personally couldn't commit to the switch and stuck it out with my laptop.

dogxa

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, my current macbook works fine. My only concern is that it is a disk hard drive so I just don't know how much longer it will last. Like I said, it's 4 years old. I've used it a good amount but it's definitely in good shape. I just don't know how many more years I should expect it to run. If it were to work fine for a few more years I'd go with an iPad but if it's only got another year or so I'd rather just put the money that I have for the iPad toward an Air.
But these tips might be worth reading about iPad free apps from ifunia's iPad column.

felface

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
buy an airport express and make your ethernet wireless then it will be alot easier to get to internet on any device

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
As i write this from my Air all i can say is get one. You will not be sorry. This thing is great. light weight and i spend hours at a time with it in my lap with no ill effects.

iphoneblaster

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
iPad

I'm always comfortable with iPad .Its one of the best valuable for me.The iPad is a line of tablet computers designed and marketed by Apple Inc., primarily as a platform for audio-visual media including books, periodicals, movies, music, games, apps and web content. Its size and weight fall between those of contemporary smartphones and laptop computers. The iPad runs on iOS, the same operating system used on Apple's iPod Touch and iPhone, and can run its own applications as well as iPhone applications. Without modification or a developer certificate, the iPad will only run programs approved by Apple and distributed via the Apple App Store (with the exception of programs that run inside the iPad's web browser).

ipad