I know the new iPad is prone to overheating, however, mine starts to overheat after moderate use within the first 15 to 20 minutes. Is the unit faulty?

Also, I currently have the iPad in the Moshi Concerti case (which is a 360 degrees protection which covers the back of the iPad completely). Do you think the iPad (as with all electronics) needs adequate ventilation?

Any help in this regard would be appreciated!
    05-23-2012 04:25 AM
    I know the new iPad is prone to overheating, however, mine starts to overheat after moderate use within the first 15 to 20 minutes. Is the unit faulty?

Also, I currently have the iPad in the Moshi Concerti case (which is a 360 degrees protection which covers the back of the iPad completely). Do you think the iPad (as with all electronics) needs adequate ventilation?

Any help in this regard would be appreciated!
    All tablet, laptops, etc need ventilation. Mine doesn't overheat at all or even get that hot. I don't think there was any evidence that the units did overheat. I would try using it without the case on and see how that goes for a day or so.

If it still overheats, then I would say that it is faulty.
    05-23-2012 06:11 AM
    If you could clarify "overheating" it would make this thread more productive. Are you talking about it feeling warm or hot to you, or are you talking about the iPad actually shutting down because it's overheated.

If I turn the brightness all the way up, it does indeed get wrarm, but I've never had it overheat.

If it turned off and displayed the overheating message (similar to the out-of-battery one) due to normal use, I'd return it. If it just starts feeling warm to you, just live with it - or turn the screen brightness down.
    05-23-2012 09:33 AM
    Thank you for responding. Well, have the brightness turned all the way up (that's how I like it) and its gets uncomfortably warm. Enough to make me the heat through the case.

No shut downs or out of battery reports though. Just a little hot around the back. I dont play games on it, just a lot of reading and twitter!
    05-23-2012 10:29 AM
    Mine is usually set to about 3/4 full brightness for class and I haven't even noticed mine getting even warm. I did feel one at the apple store that was almost uncomfortably warm. Not in a being burnt way, but I could see it making my hands sweaty and uncomfortable to hold for an extended time.
    05-23-2012 10:33 AM
    Like right now I can't even hold the iPad it's that uncomfortable. Could btw weather be contributing factor? I mean I'm currently writing from Pakistan and it's 42 degrees outside! The reason I'm especially worried is that I bought this iPad from abroad and can't even send it to have it checked, we don't have an Apple store here.
    05-23-2012 02:19 PM
    Wear gloves or turn the brightness down. Or trade it in for an iPad 2.
    05-24-2012 11:12 PM
    If its 108 deg F ambient of course any device will get hot. Use it in an air conditioned environment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    05-24-2012 11:24 PM
    Use gloves lol that would not be a good answer to tell me if that was the advise of apple .. Mental picture iPad across face of apple tech lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    05-25-2012 12:21 AM
    I won't know until summer about using it in high temps (gets to 120+ out here) but here is a part of the specification if they help. Right now my laptop is WAY hotter, the iPad is quite comfortable temperature wise.

Environmental Requirements
    Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F (0 to 35 C)
    Nonoperating temperature: -4 to 113 F (-20 to 45 C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
    05-27-2012 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD