I can't figure out what this is...

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I bought my iPad a couple of months ago at Best Buy (open item). Check out the two pictures below. I didn't notice this before but I was wondering what the heck this is. When the screen is clean (on or off), you cannot see it at all but when I was cleaning it (using the mouth-fog & tissue method) you can see this rectangle-looking smudge on it, as if a label was placed on it or something. I was thinking of cleaning it with some Windex or something but I didn't want to mess up the screen. Any ideas?

It doesnt bother me that much other than knowing it's there, but I would like to know what it is, if and how I can remove it, and if it will have any long term affect on my screen.

View attachment 15464

View attachment 15465

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
U can use windex just spray on a towel .. Also try some goo gone sticker removal .. And if that don't do it take it to apple if they can't remove it they will replace it

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I'm not so sure if it is/was a label. It's not sticky to the touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I wouldn't use windex. Use that iKlear from amazon or wherever along with a microfiber cloth. Still, it may be easier to just go swap it out.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If Apple won't replace it, take it back to Best Buy. Looks like something they put on it or the person who purchased it first.

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
LOL. It's the oil resistant coating Apple puts on the screen that's suppose to reduce fingerprints.

That could be it maybe someone uses a chemical to clean it like a bestbuy emp with glass cleaner ? I got my iPad 1 at best buy as open item display model .. Came with games and apps untill I restored it lol that is a test... imagine how many people touched it lol never had a issue thou still works perfect :) although I have upgraded since then ..

When my kids used my iPad I used baby wipes to clean it lol .. I would just take it in and see what they say

iamjose

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Update: Took the iPad in to the Apple store. They also supposed some of the oleophobic rubbed off. Quick exchange. Love iCloud. Love Apple!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear I have had diff issues but apple always took care of it

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Good deal. Nice to know they made it right. I've never had the need to use an Apple store in that sense but it's always good to hear testimonials from people that do. Reassuring for me to that if I have an issue they stand behind the product...

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

HappyPelican

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear everything worked out:) My original iPad (which has been passed down to my 6 year old) has the same thing on the screen. It's not affecting performance so I'm going with the whole "if it ani't broke, don't fixit" school of thought:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2