Why can't I watch movies AND do other things at the same time?

E_man#CB

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to get Doggcatcher on the tablet to play in the background even though the phone version does. Even worse, it forgets where it left off, so when you reopen the app you have to remind it which podcast was playing.

iOS used to have terrible podcast support, but now it's apps are much better (they have not improved in the past year on Android tablets). I love being able to control the playing podcast directly from the lock-screen. The iOS apps may not be as techie as the Android apps, but they are certainly easier to use and have much better UI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like you managed to switch to an external player. Both things you describe happen from an external player, but not doggcatcher. The rest of what you said, eh, we all have our opinions.

I find it hard to believe anyone could comfortable watch video and simultaneously write on a 10" tablet. A 7" Playbook would be a miserable experience. If you think the Playbook would work, you should mention the apps you are referring to. One of the Playbooks biggest weaknesses is lack of apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not the ideal case for either task, but sometimes you just want to multitask.

platformindependent

May 27, 2012
Visit site
multitasking tablets

Truth is some tablets have this feature. I have seen it on Motorola Xooms and others. My iPad doesn't have the feature. Truth is for a novice, and a person that wants to follow the marketing then IPad maybe the way to go. For those that are more tech savy, or want more for their buck, there are so many better choices. Especially when it comes to iPhone vs DROIDS, DROID KILLS MY IPHONE. Speed, TRUE 4G, capabilities, features, control, no iTunes, and so much more. The down side, too many choices. I prefer motorola's Max new version, think battery is about 21+ talk time. Voice recognition kills Siri. Have execs, techs, friends, constantly using my phone because theirs donesnt come in. oh before you blame the carrier, they had same carrier that others in room had. Only difference phone manufacture. Apple has style, but ipone and tablet is not the best product for your money anymore

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Truth is some tablets have this feature. I have seen it on Motorola Xooms and others. My iPad doesn't have the feature. Truth is for a novice, and a person that wants to follow the marketing then IPad maybe the way to go. For those that are more tech savy, or want more for their buck, there are so many better choices. Especially when it comes to iPhone vs DROIDS, DROID KILLS MY IPHONE. Speed, TRUE 4G, capabilities, features, control, no iTunes, and so much more. The down side, too many choices. I prefer motorola's Max new version, think battery is about 21+ talk time. Voice recognition kills Siri. Have execs, techs, friends, constantly using my phone because theirs donesnt come in. oh before you blame the carrier, they had same carrier that others in room had. Only difference phone manufacture. Apple has style, but ipone and tablet is not the best product for your money anymore

It's all about what your desired functionality and additional benefits are. The iOS platform is more consistent. There aren't as many different types of devices or worries about what version of the OS you can get. People know more about iPhones because the iteration cycle is so much longer (a downside in one way) so you get more accessories and apps and acceptance and early adoption (an upside).

DarshOne

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
why are u guys trying to do such intensive PC type work on an ipad? u really havent figured out its just a big ipod touch? yea the playbook can multitask better, but how much work could u possibly do while swapping back n forth from a movie to a text doc on a 7in touch screen? or 9in for that matter? did u really buy an ipad with hopes of if replacing your computer? you realize you could have bought a latop or netbook for the same or less right?

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
The iPad is meant, and was created, to run one application at a time to completely submerge the user into the experience of that application in order to make it simpler for the user, faster, and more efficient. But it still comes down to if it is the tool for the job. For me, I use it for everything, including my college papers and power points, picture and movie editing, all email and scheduling and note taking. For what I use it for its outstanding but that fact is the iPad wasn't created for the specific experience your looking for because there's no possible way it could run that experience of watching a movie and typing a full fledged stack of notes on the smaller screen. I would probably say either take the notes on your iPad while watching the movie on a tv or some other screen to have the best experience for yourself, or a full fledged laptop could easily work out for you. Even this though you are toggling and minimizing to get between the notes and movie and could easily miss key segments.
Now as for the android tablets being more powerful and better for a work environment than the iPad? This is completely false. Personally I own the new iPad and the asus transformer prime ( which we can all agree is the best android tablet out on the market right now) and the lack of tablet applications I've found is astonishing! I've literally only found probably about ten applications that successfully take advantage of a bigger display on a tablet on the asus that have a great ui, and don't just look completely like a stretched out phone application. Many of the work and note taking applications I've bought that co-exist on the iPad are filled with tiny links that have you trying to pinpoint your finger in the exact spot to get it to work, spending twice to time you would be typing your paper trying to find the hidden menu's to access settings that are laided out in easy and well thought out formats on the iPad versions, and as well as having to restart at least once a day my last 30 minutes of work because either the browsers crashed, or ice cream sandwich has crashed, or my application has crashed once again. I don't deny that the android phones have some amazing capabilities, they're great phones, but when it comes to tablets, there isn't even an argument to make on what tablet system is the best existing out there. The not only media but content creation and actually work ABILITIES that exist on the iPad are completely unmatched.

zhelf

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
the truth is aawilson showed the OP how to solve their problem with an ipad for free using a readily available app and no one will acknowledge it you would all rather just bicker with each other over multitasking and intensive tasks......so what if he has a tall order of his device that is where invention comes from! if every developer or inventor or tinkerer just said ok these are the limits let me not try to push them we wouldnt get anywhere. Maybe the ipad cant do everything and maybe, the playbook has a lack of apps or too small of a screen for some.......so what! lets find a way to make these devices we pay for do what we want or tell them we want more and show them through jailbreaking which has worked so far.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to watch a video and write about it at the same time. If you're doing a screenplay transcript, how are you supposed to do that.? Why can't the iPad do that?

On laptops uouyou can do this. You can also webcam and do stuff at the same time as well.

If you have a jailbroken device, there is a tweak which allows you to have as many app's open and working on the screen at one time.

Its called Quasar.

Take a look: Multitask iPad Apps In Windows - Quasar: Best Cydia Tweak for the iPad?! - YouTube

Andrew Onciul

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
On one of my old android cell phones which was not much of a cell phone but still a smart phone I could do that. I believe it was called viral video player which had a floating resizable screen that can launch up URLs, or videos that were downloaded onto your device. It was so handy. I believe Apple has something like that called helium does it not? But then again that is for the MacBook type series Apple product. I am sure that if a person looks and searches for floating video players they will eventually find one for even the iPhone and ipad.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW