Why can't I watch movies AND do other things at the same time?

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to watch a video and write about it at the same time. If you're doing a screenplay transcript, how are you supposed to do that.? Why can't the iPad do that?

On laptops uouyou can do this. You can also webcam and do stuff at the same time as well.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Your expectations are too high for the iPad in my opinion. To do what you want simply requires more of a machine than can be crammed into an iPad. Use the right tool for the job - a laptop or workstation if transcribing video.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Tablet hardware and OSs aren't really ideal, intended. or setup for the multi-tasking experience you can get on a desktop or notebook (ie. multiple shrunken windows running in the background).

While you can do some content creation on a tablet, it is still primarily a consumption device.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Its interesting though that you can play music in the background, and I believe you can listen to audio podcasts in the back ground. I think the key is that in order to watch video on a tablet, the app must have full control of the screen. iOS and Android OSes do not support multiple apps using the screen at the same time.

You may have some luck finding an app that plays the audio track while you are writing though.

I have also tried using a Windows tablet for what you are attempting, but trying to use Windows on a 10" tablet is painful - and not just on the eyes.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Kinda funny, maybe you should pick up a BlackBerry PlayBook on the cheap. The multitasking on them can, for the most part, do what you are asking. Makes the "Your expectations are too high for the iPad in my opinion." comment look rather out of place when the lowly PlayBook can do it just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: pkcable

snoopgoat

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Check out the App: Panes. Also, send the developer an email to get instructions to unlock the Easter egg. You'll be glad you did

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Kinda funny, maybe you should pick up a BlackBerry PlayBook on the cheap. The multitasking on them can, for the most part, do what you are asking. Makes the "Your expectations are too high for the iPad in my opinion." comment look rather out of place when the lowly PlayBook can do it just fine.

One would think an editor for Mobile Nations might have the good sense to not snarkily alienate a forum contributor like this... SMH. :mad:

Reactions: BreakingKayfabe

domaz

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Its interesting though that you can play music in the background, and I believe you can listen to audio podcasts in the back ground. I think the key is that in order to watch video on a tablet, the app must have full control of the screen. iOS and Android OSes do not support multiple apps using the screen at the same time.

You may have some luck finding an app that plays the audio track while you are writing though.

I have also tried using a Windows tablet for what you are attempting, but trying to use Windows on a 10" tablet is painful - and not just on the eyes.

Take a look at the new htc hd streamer box. That lets you stream hd videos while doing things on your phone.

There are also more and more apps for android that can run like a window on top of another app.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Good thing you could just take out your iphone and type (and even use a bt kb if you want) while watching video on the ipad.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I wanted to watch a video and write about it at the same time. If you're doing a screenplay transcript, how are you supposed to do that.? Why can't the iPad do that?

On laptops uouyou can do this. You can also webcam and do stuff at the same time as well.

I don't think your question is particularly out-of-bounds. It's true that the iPad is largely defined by a one-thing-at-a-time experience, but that definition can and does change whenever the right people or the right number of people demand it.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet that *video* (not just audio) podcasts and Youtube videos can play in the background. For those that don't know how, just start the video as you normally would, then return to the home screen while the video is still active. The video will stop playing, but if you double click the home button and scroll to the right, you'll reveal the playback controls (from the left). Press play and the video will resume playing, audio-only. When you return to the video, with few exceptions, the video should be at the same point as the audio you were listening to.

If you start any other audio-capable app, you risk having to start the above process all over, again.

Anyway, with the above capabilities in-mind, there's no *good* reason why movies couldn't play in the background. I just tried to have a tv show play in the background. No luck. I'm downloading a movie, now, for what I'm sure will be a futile effort.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at the new htc hd streamer box. That lets you stream hd videos while doing things on your phone.

There are also more and more apps for android that can run like a window on top of another app.

I don't think the HTC media streamer is what he is looking for - how would it let you watch video and write on your tablet at the same time.

I actually watch a lot of podcasts on an android tablet. I have yet to find a good podcast app or even one well made for an android tablet. The one that works best, Doggcatcher - will not play video or audio in the background. I would be interested in what you have found because I have been nothing but disappointed in android tablet apps.

E_man#CB

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This is one of those areas that android is ahead, probably due to the "power user" aspect to the OS. Android tablets have apps that run in windows from chat clients, calculators, web browsers, video players, etc. I hope apple allows this soon.

I don't think the HTC media streamer is what he is looking for - how would it let you watch video and write on your tablet at the same time.

I actually watch a lot of podcasts on an android tablet. I have yet to find a good podcast app or even one well made for an android tablet. The one that works best, Doggcatcher - will not play video or audio in the background. I would be interested in what you have found because I have been nothing but disappointed in android tablet apps.

Not sure what you're talking about on Doggcatcher. It plays both in the background. It will do so automatically with an audio podcast, and you can play a video podcast as an audio podcast.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what you're talking about on Doggcatcher. It plays both in the background. It will do so automatically with an audio podcast, and you can play a video podcast as an audio podcast.

I have yet to get Doggcatcher on the tablet to play in the background even though the phone version does. Even worse, it forgets where it left off, so when you reopen the app you have to remind it which podcast was playing.

iOS used to have terrible podcast support, but now it's apps are much better (they have not improved in the past year on Android tablets). I love being able to control the playing podcast directly from the lock-screen. The iOS apps may not be as techie as the Android apps, but they are certainly easier to use and have much better UI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Camfella

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I like the YouTube app. on Android where you can write a comment while the video is playing. Only problem is the comment box gets in the way of the video. However this shows that it can be done even with low end hardware.

Camfella

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I would like to be able to split the screen on an iPad and run two separate apps simultaneously. To the devs out there is this possible?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

I was just thinking the same thing!!!!!! FTR I own both an iPad and a PlayBook. ;)

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
One would think an editor for Mobile Nations might have the good sense to not snarkily alienate a forum contributor like this... SMH. :mad:

I wasn't being snarky, if that is how you perceived it there isn't much I can do about that. I made a suggestion based on the OP and made a reference to how the PlayBook as a tablet is underrated for it's multitasking abilities in comparison to other tablets on the market using your comment as contrast. PlayBooks go for cheap that's pretty much a fact, if suggesting a cheap alternative that does what the OP wants is alienation these days then I have to wonder what the world is coming too.

Last edited:

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I find it hard to believe anyone could comfortable watch video and simultaneously write on a 10" tablet. A 7" Playbook would be a miserable experience. If you think the Playbook would work, you should mention the apps you are referring to. One of the Playbooks biggest weaknesses is lack of apps.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I find it hard to believe anyone could comfortable watch video and simultaneously write on a 10" tablet. A 7" Playbook would be a miserable experience. If you think the Playbook would work, you should mention the apps you are referring to. One of the Playbooks biggest weaknesses is lack of apps.

I thought the whole point was for the original poster to have the option of playing the movie in the background so that s/he could transcribe the audio.

aawilson

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
30d26cfb.png

Captured using OnLive Desktop. The video is a 3gp, btw, for compression reasons. It synced in about a second. Can type and watch at the same time. Superb audio quality. You can get the whole setup for free in about 10 mins.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73