Hi! As some of you may know I've been debating between keeping my VZW iPad 3 or getting the AT&T model. I don't want to make the wrong decision! My main focus is data. I'm limited to 2GB on my iPhone and I push that every month. I want to be able to be free with my iPad! So 3GB for $30 is awesome for what AT&T offers.

However, I could change my iPhone data plan to 4GB+Mobile Hotspot, get a wifi iPad 3 and just tether the freaking thing! Is anyone else doing this? Is it worth it? Or are you all enjoying not having to link your phone to your iPad period?

Honestly, the whole LTE thing is not a big deal to me! So that factor is out the window.
    04-11-2012 08:49 AM
    Hi! As some of you may know I've been debating between keeping my VZW iPad 3 or getting the AT&T model. I don't want to make the wrong decision! My main focus is data. I'm limited to 2GB on my iPhone and I push that every month. I want to be able to be free with my iPad! So 3GB for $30 is awesome for what AT&T offers.

However, I could change my iPhone data plan to 4GB+Mobile Hotspot, get a wifi iPad 3 and just tether the freaking thing! Is anyone else doing this? Is it worth it? Or are you all enjoying not having to link your phone to your iPad period?

Honestly, the whole LTE thing is not a big deal to me! So that factor is out the window.
    not sure if I can offer any help...but I have a Galaxy Nexus and I tether to my ipad. LTE offers terrific speeds. Best of both worlds is an android phone and apple tablet. can't go wrong.
    04-11-2012 09:29 AM

Would that be tethering from Vzn 3G? Not sure I would recommend that with their speed.
    04-11-2012 10:27 AM
    Would that be tethering from Vzn 3G? Not sure I would recommend that with their speed.
    You're forever crapping on Verizon 3G speed... it's quite adequate for tethering for any general internet use... web, email, etc... I wouldn't want to try and stream HD video on it - that would suck.... but even streaming music is quite doable on Verizon 3G. In fact, I do regularly, with quite satisfactory performance.
    04-11-2012 10:36 AM
    You're forever crapping on Verizon 3G speed... it's quite adequate for tethering for any general internet use... web, email, etc... I wouldn't want to try and stream HD video on it - that would suck.... but even streaming music is quite doable on Verizon 3G. In fact, I do regularly, with quite satisfactory performance.
    I have the Vzn iPad LTE. Tethering from LTE is awesome. When I'm in 3G areas, it's just not very fast to tether from. It trying to power my MacBook is rediculous. I suppose powering a iPad might do ok.
    04-11-2012 10:47 AM
    Yeah, but it's just an iPad. If it was my mbp, no way but you know...

So I should just stick with the 4G and leave the tethering alone?
    04-11-2012 10:50 AM
    I ran a speed test... Not so good! Charlotte doesn't have lte but I'll be back home in metro Detroit next month and it's all over, so I won't worry. If all fails, I'll get a AT&T sim to pop in.
    04-11-2012 11:04 AM
    I have the Vzn iPad LTE. Tethering from LTE is awesome. When I'm in 3G areas, it's just not very fast to tether from. It trying to power my MacBook is rediculous. I suppose powering a iPad might do ok.
    I've successfully tethered via 3G on a MacBook and done all I needed it to do. Yes, it's slower than LTE... but your expectations are rather high coming off of LTE to 3G when making your comparison, and your expectations seem to me to be a bit surrealistic.
    04-11-2012 11:05 AM
    Thanks guys! I just switched my 32GB VZW LTE for a 64GB and I'll do what I have to for data. Decided not to tether!
    04-11-2012 10:47 PM
    I just bought my iPad and decided to get the wifi only model. I have a Verizon Lte Android phone that I can tether to if I need to. I used the tethering plan when I went to San Diego on vacation and it was really nice on my Android tablet and my wife's iPad. I don't keep tethering active on my line the rest of the time but at least I have the option.
    05-09-2012 08:33 PM
    I'm in the same situation as a few others in here, Android phone with LTE and im tethering to my iPad. Works pretty flawless and seems to be a great alternative for people that have lte phones (no matter what the carrier) and saving a few pennies on the wifi model. Just MO.
    05-12-2012 01:25 AM
    Hi Guys andd Gals, similar question from the UK. I have a 4s on O2, about to get a iPad3 and trying to decide on WiFi only and tether, or WiFi and Sim. Any UK experience?
    05-15-2012 07:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD