"New" iPad Questions

KY_Tom

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi - I currently have a 64GB WiFi iPad2 which I plan to give to my wife. I'm struggling with whether buy another WiFi only model or the VZW version. 95% of my use is WiFi only but it sure would nice to be able to use it on our annual road trip to the beach.. Also, there are times where I miss the location services evern more than the data services.

As such, my questions are -

1. If I buy a VZW model can I turn the cellurlar services on & off at will - i.e., two weeks in the summer, and maybe a long weekend here & there?

2. If I buy a VZW model with the AGPS, will the AGPS still work even though cellualr service is off? I know that I would need to use offline maps - i.e. CityMaps2Go.

Thanks in advance - Tom

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Can't help you on the AGPS question, but the 4G plan is a pre paid month to month. You can turn it on or off at will, but any data plan you buy will last a month or until you have emptied the data bucket you bought I.e 1 gb for $20, 2 gb for $30 etc...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you want to make a Wifi iPad capable of full-blown use as a GPS/PND look into this:

Bad Elf GPS and then get an app that stores full maps on the device.

I'm a satisfied user - this, and my iPad with Navigon and I have one kick-butt PND.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually using the New iPad over wifi at the Outer Banks. Every rental property has wifi and the GPS works great for finding restaurants and attractions. I have not used it for car navigation but have my iPhone for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So you purchased the bad elf, and navigon maps.that's it?

that's it. works very well... just keep it out of direct sunlight in the car... you might get an overheat error, and have your iPad go dark until it cools again... and I went for a seabolt mount from Ram Mounts... was nice to have big-screen gps and iTunes music playing thru my car audio system via cable between the iPad & aux input on the car radio. :)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually using the New iPad over wifi at the Outer Banks. Every rental property has wifi and the GPS works great for finding restaurants and attractions. I have not used it for car navigation but have my iPhone for that.
Wifi iPads don't have their own GPS recevier. They do use a database of IP addresses associated with physical addresses that have also been correlated to GPS coordinates for location via the various map apps.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
1. If I buy a VZW model can I turn the cellurlar services on & off at will - i.e., two weeks in the summer, and maybe a long weekend here & there?

2. If I buy a VZW model with the AGPS, will the AGPS still work even though cellualr service is off? I know that I would need to use offline maps - i.e. CityMaps2Go.

Thanks in advance - Tom

Hi Tom,

While I can't say for sure with the VZW iPad, I do have the LTE version through AT&T and you can definitely turn off cellular services when not needed, in order to conserve data usage. It's all in the options menu. So when you get back from the beach and have a wifi signal, you can disable cellular data to cut down on usage. I was a bit concerned when I first took it out of the box and turned it on that I had an AT&T icon at the top of the screen, even with data turned off. But that's just how the 3G/LTE versions work I guess.

AGPS still works with my iPad, even when cellular services are turned off, making it useful as a GPS receiver when I don't have the data plan enabled.

AT&T data plans are month to month, and I believe Verizon's plans are too, so you'll be able to enable it before you go on vacation and then turn it off when you get back. Very easy.

Hope I've answered your questions and good luck with your purchase!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro