How do you use your iPad at work?

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Logmein has Cubby now as well. It's like dropbox and also lets you sync unlimited data between PC's. Free iOS app.

https://www.cubby.com/

Unlimited peer-to-peer (P2P) syncing means no storage limits when you're syncing between your own computers. Storage limits only apply to cubbies that are synced to the cloud.

Here's an example.

The situation:
You have 20 GB of photos on your computer at home
You want all 20 GB of photos to be available on your computer at work
The "unlimited peer-to-peer" solution:
Make your "vacation photos" folder into a cubby on your home computer
Open the Cubby desktop application at work and turn on syncing for "vacation photos"
You'll see all of your photos at work ? all 20 GB worth
No limits between peers. That means no limits between two of your own computers.
Important: Computers can only sync peer-to-peer when they are powered on.

Remember: To avoid storage limits, make sure the cubby does not sync with the cloud. Without the cloud you gain the benefit of unlimited P2P syncing, but you won't be able to access the cubby via cubby.com or mobile app, and you won't be able to share it or link to it.

dominirican

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Logmein for remote desktop access
Documents to go for office documents
Adobe reader for my pdfs
Note shelf and evernote ofr quick notes
Angry birds space for commute

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
DEAR EVERYONE... Splashtop DOES NOT need to be on the same network to work. I have used it across the country. I am not sure why people think this anymore. This was the case when it first came out, but has not been an issue since.

Reactions: mhuggins41

ChemEngr

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow all these desktop remote apps, and nobody has mentioned Teamviewer. It's free and it works. Am I missing something with the other apps?

TNTPW

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I run a power washing company and invoices2go has been outstanding. I can create estimates and invoices, create a service list for the ones I offer, save rates for each individual service, email the invoices and estimates to my customers, and it keeps a tally of my jobs per month. I was doing all this by hand since 05 and this app has helped out tremendously. There is another app I use (the name slips me right now) but it keeps up with my mileage and I can print up or email my annual mileage for tax purposes.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow all these desktop remote apps, and nobody has mentioned Teamviewer. It's free and it works. Am I missing something with the other apps?

Not sure, I use Teamviewer on my PCs to remote into other PCs to help fix friends software and basic computer errors. Works very well for that, just used it to today for a cloudmark / outlook fix. Have not heard from anyone using it on an iPad. The reviews are mixed. Pro is $139.00 which is not bad if you use it professionally.

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't use my iPad much at work - the military is very tight with what they allow sensitive info on. Ah well...

Going to conferences or TDYs, I primarily use my laptop, but bring my iPad along as well. I prefer it as my media/entertainment device. For WORK work, it's still not practical enough for me.

Incidentally, I've remoted into my desktop here (Japan) from the States using Splashtop - they do not have to be on the same network. The email sign-in makes that extremely simple. Also, a plus for Splashtop over LogMeIn is that you can stream audio. Most of these remote apps only allow this feature if you have an RDP client - not VNC.

mikos

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Remote desktop with remote reboot?

Not to get too far off track, but I have a quick question. Does anyone know which remote desktop app can support rebooting a laptop remotely? The kicker is that I need to be able to log back into the laptop remotely. I cannot disable the login process on my work laptop.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I'm not sure I fully understand but you can use LogMeIn to control the of fully - including rebooting. Once the desktop returns you can resume our remote access session.

mikos

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
What I was saying is that most of these remote apps need the laptop on AND logged in. My work laptop requires a login when returning from a restart. It then loads my profile and works as it should. What I think most remote apps would have trouble with is this process. I can unlock my laptop via splashtop (ctrl, alt, delete then password) without any trouble but am just unlocking my machine.

I want the ability to remotely reboot my laptop, have it restart, then allow me to login to network again. Does that make sense?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Not to get too far off track, but I have a quick question. Does anyone know which remote desktop app can support rebooting a laptop remotely? The kicker is that I need to be able to log back into the laptop remotely. I cannot disable the login process on my work laptop.

As you have the whole desktop on Splashtop and you can reboot from there and the Splashtop background process restarts at bootup, it should work fine. The only exception would be if you have a login password or a login screen at bootup.

mikos

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
As you have the whole desktop on Splashtop and you can reboot from there and the Splashtop background process restarts at bootup, it should work fine. The only exception would be if you have a login password or a login screen at bootup.

Yep, I do unfortunately. It's a work laptop with a standard windows nt login.

captain7576

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
As an airline pilot, my company just started testing iPads to replace a 40lb. flight bag that most pilots are required to carry. It contains all of our navigation charts and a couple of our company manuals. There are still 6 more company manuals that they keep on the airplanes and soon all of this will be replaced by a couple of iPads.

For the time being, we are only using three different apps to accomplish this. The first is GoodReader. This app allows us access to all of our company manuals. We can log into the company website via GoodReader to download and update everything that we are required to have. For the short time I have been doing this it's been working very well.

Second, we are using iBooks as a backup to GoodReader.

Thirdly, we are using Jeppesen TC Pro for our navigation charts. This program comes in a version that's free for anyone to use, but you need to buy a subscription of charts that you'll need for the part of the world you fly in. My company is getting a proprietary version that is purchased via the app store's business division. We received a redemption code that once entered took us to the app store and downloaded the app. Then we setup the app with our company code and it then downloaded our company's specific subscription of nav charts that we'll need worldwide.

The next piece of the puzzle is a mount from RAM products to put the iPad in. It has two suction cups and we just stick it on one of the side windows in the airplane. It has an articulating arm and a universal cradle that will accept an iPad with almost any case you might have your iPad in. I have my iPad in an Otterbox case.

For the short time that I've been using this setup, I'm very impressed. To replace a 40lb. flight bag with an iPad is just awesome. This flight bag that I'm replacing just has nav charts for the US. When I fly overseas, there's another 40lb. flight bag onboard for the international charts! So as an international pilot, I'm really replacing 80lbs of nav charts and manuals! The iPad really is going to revolutionize the piloting world for those pilots and airlines that choose to go this route. It will save our backs, save fuel, and save our airline the expense of having to distribute manuals and nav charts throughout our worldwide network. We should officially be approved this fall by the FAA to go totally to the iPad.

Last edited:

coskier

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Evernote in meetings, Remote connections when I need a PC, email, drafts of ideas, a number of things. Way better than lugging a PC around.

teejaywhy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I handle pre-sales product demonstrations for a software company. I use my new iPad extensively throughout the day.

I use a Logitech keyboard when I'm at work.

I have my business e-mail and calendar synced to my iPad using the standard apps.

I use Notability for notes during discovery and demo meetings. The recent 4.3 update, and specifically the addition of text boxes, has really made a huge difference for me. Using a PDF version of my demo script, I am able to type notes about specific questions that a client might have and follow-up items for me research in the exact spot in the demo where the issue arose.

When I complete a meeting, I e-mail the documents in PDF format to Evernote. Evernote holds all of my standard process and application documentation, as well as folders for the clients that I'm currently working with. When appropriate, I archive the client notes and store them in Box. If I need to access the notes again, I simply import them back to Evernote. I use Evernote on all platforms - iPad, iPhone, Mac OS, and Windows.

I use Wunderlist to keep me organized. I really like it's simplicity and the fact that I can add a new list via e-mail. And it's cross-platform as well, so I can see my lists from any of my devices.

I no longer worry about losing everything because it is all stored "in the cloud". I am also completely paperless - no printer paper, no "sticky notes", no legal pads for note taking, no printer ink, and no paper files. I feel like I am saving trees and reducing my carbon footprint, but I am also saving a considerable amount of time and physical space in my office.

Sent from my *new* iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikos

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Keynote vs Quickoffice vs Slide Shark

Just thought I would share a little about my experience with these apps for presenting. I have been using my iPad for everything and only presenting from it in most recent meetings. It's been fantastic but there are still some quirks. For the apps below, I have only used PowerPoint 2010 presentations generated on a windows laptop. The presentations have minimal animations, transitions, and graphics, no video.

Keynote - designed for the iPad is a plus, not designed for ppt, not so much. Like a lot of "office" apps, they can open office files but can't really read them fully. It does a nice job of converting fonts and making your ppt look like the original file. It had some trouble with some basic images but some simple editing cleaned it up and everything looks pretty solid. Keynote was able to render most transitions and animations. These are key when presenting a slide it a lot of points and you need it to flow.

Quickoffice - their slide app is passable. It renders slides and fonts well but it couldn't handle the simple transitions that keynote was able to preserve. I would only use it for the most basic slides.

Slide Shark - a pretty nifty service. You upload your ppts to their service then you can download them to your iPad and run locally. So you do need a connection initially, you don't need one to run the app. It renders slides about as faithfully as possible, no text conversion, transitions remain. The overall clarity is a little less than I would desire but nothing that would prevent me from not using it in a client setting.

Overall I would recommend both Keynote and Slide Shark. If you present a lot, then Keynote is worth the expense. Slides look amazing and you can also use your iPhone as a remote. You can even present from your iPhone if you need to. For Slide Shark, it's a no brainer. The app is free and it renders almost everything as it should, there is just a little loss in crispness. If you only need to present here and there, Slide Shark is a great Keynote alternative. If you are a power user, I'd get both.

Quickoffice needs to step it up.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
My iPad (original 16G, WiFi) has completely replaced my Laptop. So much so, I gave my laptop to my daughter. I am in Sales so here are the main ways I use my iPad and the apps I have found that help me:

PIM: Email of course. I have three different email accounts coming to my iPad. Two business emails and one personal one. I use an Apple BT keyboard when emailing. It's just better than the virtual one for emails IMO. I use iCloud to keep my iPad, iMac, and iPhone 4 all in sync. It works well for me. I am over the GTD thing. I am into quick and simple! That's why I use the stock Calendar app and the stock Address book. Besides they are both nice looking on the iPad. I use Reminders for "todo", I love that it is quick and simple and syncs with my iP4. I use Awesome Notes for "notes". I have it set up to sync with EverNote. I have started using SpringPad for "Long-Term Projects" and planning. I like the UI better than EN.

PRESENTING: IMO this is where the iPad is AWESOME. It is so much lighter than my Macbook and the battery life is awesome. I use Keynote exclusively. I love, love, love this app. I have always been a Keynote user but it's even better on the iPad. I don't usually create presentations on my iPad, although you can. Presentation are much easier to create on my iMac then transfer over to my iPad. I can even transfer over PP Presentation then tweek and edit them on my iPad. I love the transitions that Keynote has. They give your presentations that "Now that's cool" effect. Although the BEST Keynote feature is the built-in laser pointer! Simply touch the iPad screen for about two seconds and a red dot appears on you slide. As you move your finger the red dot moves as well. Very nice! One other app that I have recently started to use for quick presentations is iBooks. It turns out that I can put product PDFs in iBooks and can open them quickly for a client to view in full color. I have been doing more and more "one-on-one", "one-on-two" presentations lately. The iPad with it's "instant on" and it's "lightness" makes it the perfect tool for this.

BUSINESS APPS: I use Docs To Go, although QuickOffice is nice also. DTG has a better way to download email attachments IMO. DropBox is a MUST! Everything goes up there. That way I always have up-to-date job files with me wherever I am. Box.Net is also great for larger files like Pictures and Presentations. GoodReader is wonderful for editing and annotating PDFs. It's great for collaborating with larger Technical Drawing PDFs on projects. I am beginning to use NoteShelf and Clibe for hand written notes when in a meeting or in the field. I just need to find a better stylus now. Another little app that has been great is PhotoSync. I take a picture with my iP4 of deliveries, installed products, finished projects, etc. I then "sync" them to my iPad with PhotoSync and I can email them, put them in a presentation, whatever. Very quick and easy!

Of course I use my iPad for books, games, movies and checking iMore, but this is how I use it for Work.

Last edited:

dino195

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I own a tree service and work mostly outdoors. I bought my new iPad specifically for my business in hopes of improving my productivity.

I needed a way to access my email, files and documents while in the field. A smart phone was not an option as my work is very physical and I have destroyed many phones in the past. I have had two previous phones dragged into a chipper... I carry a military spec flip phone into the tree with me while I am working because I always have to be able to answer my phone to talk to costumers when need be as well as be able to guide log trucks and subcontractors into my location. The thought of destroying a $600 smart phone was not very attractive to me. And carrying a laptop into the field is impractical. The iPad was a happy medium for me.

I am learning to use many apps and features with my new iPad and it has been a Godsend. I use the notes app to keep track of client contacts, and jobs and really love how the addresses are linked to the mapping feature so I can just tap on the link to automatically map it when need be. I do have evernote as well but have not used it extensively yet. I use photo to PDF app to convert business cards, flyers, logos to PDF"s and send them back and forth to my advertising people through email so we can collaborate, proof and tweak ads. I use Sign Docs for signing and having documents and contracts signed electronically. I am still editing documents and PDF's on my home PC and emailing them to myself or uploading them to Dropbox so I can access them on my iPad. I need to find a good app to edit documents on the fly with my iPad. It is usually easier for me to do that kind of work on my PC though. I use the Square Card Reader and the Register app to process credit card payments on my iPad. I have a helmet cam and use it to take footage of the work I do to post on my webpage and social media sites. I am using iMovie to edit the footage and my camera works seamlessly with the camera connection kit. I also use iPhoto to edit stills out of my movie footage for advertising purposes. I am also using an arborist app called Leafsnap for tree identification. Although I have not used it yet, I downloaded the Skitch app so I can annotate photos of trees to show customers exactly what work will be performed and exactly where pruning cuts will be made on their trees. Let's see... Invoices to go... Intellicast, imap weather radio, weather app, navigation app and a few others I am sure that I am leaving out...

Unbelievable how much more productive I am with my new iPad. I used to have to come in every night and work for an hour or two on my PC. I can handle most of those tasks now in the field as they arise thanks to my iPad. The tablet form factor is perfect for the field work I do.

Last edited:

governmentgrants

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
? Turn impromptu meetings into sales transactions
? Give a sales pitch on the fly
? Deliver training at a moment?s notice
? Share and spark ideas anywhere
Wherever your work takes you, iPad gives you the flexibility and power to advance
your business goals with immediate results.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods