Did you choose Verizon or At&t and why?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
For those who want or needed data, what carrier did you choose and why? I have our iPhones with At&t. Vzn can't compete with the speed there. When it came to iPad, I chose Verizon. Why? Verizon has 203 LTE cities to 28 of At&t. I want to be able to travel and have LTE in many places. Also, if I want to use a At&t sim card in my Verizon iPad, I can still get the HSPA+ speed of At&t. Lastly, Vzn has the option for hotspot now and that has been awesome for me. I did pre-order the At&t iPad at first but after I did my research, Vzn won and the went to Best Buy and picked up the Vzn model and then returned my pre-order to Apple

So what was your reason for your choice?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I went with AT&T for the data speeds. Verizon claims to have LTE in my area, but yet this is all I got on the Rezound with a full LTE signal. As with AT&T, just because a carriers map shows LTE in a certain area doesn't mean you are going to get their promised speeds as I saw when testing out Verizon in my area.

ad310dce-153d-3bd3.jpg

AT&T HSPA+ in my area comes very close to Verizon's LTE speed which tells me that when AT&T finally does get LTE here they are going to blow Verizon away.

ad310dce-15e6-34a2.jpg

Lastly, I went with AT&T because I can always fall back to HSPA+ in areas where they don't have LTE yet, Verizon doesn't have HSPA+. Also, my hospital has a discount with AT&T and I always get good customer care with them. Right new I'm on the 250MB/$15 data plan which is just the right amount of data for my needs.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
1. I don't travel so AT&T was my first choice. It's speed beats out verizon as far as the iPhone goes.
2. Is that's what my family is on, my brother has a 21% discount on his plan so I jumped on it.
3. When I got my first phone I didn't really have a choice in which carrier, my parents chose AT&T and I was stuck on it. Not that I'm older and have moved out I have no incentive to change. Especially with that discount.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I went with AT&T for the data speeds. Verizon claims to have LTE in my area, but yet this is all I got on the Rezound with a full LTE signal. As with AT&T, just because a carriers map shows LTE in a certain area doesn't mean you are going to get their promised speeds as I saw when testing out Verizon in my area.

AT&T HSPA+ in my area comes very close to Verizon's LTE speed which tells me that when AT&T finally does get LTE here they are going to blow Verizon away.

Lastly, I went with AT&T because I can always fall back to HSPA+ in areas where they don't have LTE yet, Verizon doesn't have HSPA+. Also, my hospital has a discount with AT&T and I always get good customer care with them. Right new I'm on the 250MB/$15 data plan which is just the right amount of data for my needs.

This is average for me. Tested from my office. I have gotten as much as 42 DL though.

photo2-4.png

photo1-4.png

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
These are great speeds, Garz, and if I was getting those I'd probably go with Verizon too. However, what I got with them wasn't enough to get my business.

We are blanketed with LTE coverage all over southern NV and So Cal which is where I spend most of my time. At&t still has a way to go. Tethering a MBP off of LTE is incredible too. I hope At&t steps up before the LTE iphone comes out or they may be losing my business. At&t is better for iphone 4S but that may change next fall unless they can step it up fast. But thanks for your reply. Nothing wrong with your choice. I understand why you did. I just like hearing why somebody chose the carrier they did.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I chose Verizon for ipad. It's not even a contest as AT&T doesn't have LTE nearby yet and won't indicate when and won't in my area. I don't have Verizon locally but will have to wait for that Rural LTEprogram to kick in that they signed up with local carrier. In the meantime, i could always pop in an AT&T SIM if needed. There's also the free tethering on Verizon ipad.

I was wondering about discounts. I never got mine applied to ipad 2 AT&T plan and it was post paid.

Someone else mentioned getting a 250mb plan? I don't see the point. I went with 2gb/30 for now. I may increase to 5 or 10 later if the coverage is there.

This could change later as AT&T gets built out. Or what speeds are like roaming on Verizon partners' LTE. It's definitely something to keep an eye on.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Someone else mentioned getting a 250mb plan? I don't see the point. I went with 2gb/30 for now. I may increase to 5 or 10 later if the coverage is there.

That someone was me, and while that plan might not be enough for your needs, it works perfect for mine. There is no need for me to pay for more data than I'm going to use in one month, that to me would be pointless. ;)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Some people may not know pricing and that can be a key factor:

Att 250 MB's = $15
Vzn 1 GB = $20

Vzn obviously wins there

Att 3GB's = $30
Vzn 2GB's = $30

At&t wins there

Vzn has tethering included in their plans. At&t does not at this time. Maybe later. Anybody who has yet to buy, you may want to look at the above before you decide and see what works best for you.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting a new iPad and this time with data. And if I do I'm probably going to go with the Verizon model simply because their LTE works great where I am. That and because data is a month to month thing so I don't have to worry about being stuck in a contract. Not that AT&T is t the same deal. But using an iPad 2 wifi only is good, but I do find myself needing data sometimes.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
That someone was me, and while that plan might not be enough for your needs, it works perfect for mine. There is no need for me to pay for more data than I'm going to use in one month, that to me would be pointless. ;)

Understood :)

But even after activating it and just testing a few websites (and speedtests) to see if it worked i was over a 100mb easy. I wouldn't even think about streaming video with that.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Understood :)

But even after activating it and just testing a few websites (and speedtests) to see if it worked i was over a 100mb easy. I wouldn't even think about streaming video with that.

No worries there for me, as I mostly tether with my jailbroken 4S anyway. :)

Btw, maybe Verizon uses more data because I activated the plan on the 17'th, have done many speed tests as well visited many websites and I still have about 125MB left to use. :)

Last edited:

crateish

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Went with Verizon. Our iPhones are AT&T, and I will never go with Verizon on a phone until the whole not surfing while talking thing is 'fixed.'

When iPhone 5 comes out with LTE, I'll be able to tether with either carrier.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Went with Verizon. Our iPhones are AT&T, and I will never go with Verizon on a phone until the whole not surfing while talking thing is 'fixed.'

I believe you can with Vzn on LTE.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

On LTE you can talk n surf with Verizon

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I chose Verizon because it has the free hotspot option and because if I did decided to go with AT&T, that model will work with a AT&T sim.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the AT&T model because... well, those are the ones we get on base out here and on island (Japan) with SoftBank, where $840 got me the 32GB LTE version and a YEAR of unlimited data. The $30/mo plan is probably what I'd do back home anyway, and you get more GB with AT&T, so it works out there.

appliancemedic

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
One thing with Verizon LTE it is ok if you are not moving. I use mine all day in the car and the handoff on LTE is really bad. I can not keep track of how many times I have seen it pop up on my screen NO DATA CONNECTION. Then clear that and watch it search for a connection. Funny thing I won' t remember seeing that on the ipad2 on 3G. Just something to think about.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox