Is it possible to use google maps and my 'non" iPhone moblie hot spot to activate the gps feature. I have a 32GB wi-fi new iPad.
    03-24-2012 12:36 PM
    If your mobile hotspot is capable of outputting NMEA GPS data, and you have an app capable of using that - you're set.

The wifi iPad doesn't have a GPS receiver of it's own - and will locate you based on any location data exists for your device's "public" ip address... if you want to have functional mapping/GPS on a wifi iPad - you'll need an external source for GPS location data... There are bluetooth GPS receiver pucks that work with wifi iPads... and there's the BadElf device (disclaimer: I have one - am nothing more than a satisfied customer...) - and you'll need an app that has a full map on the iPad, or, your hotspot to download map data on the fly.
    03-24-2012 12:46 PM
    If your mobile hotspot is capable of outputting NMEA GPS data, and you have an app capable of using that - you're set.

The wifi iPad doesn't have a GPS receiver of it's own - and will locate you based on any location data exists for your device's "public" ip address... if you want to have functional mapping/GPS on a wifi iPad - you'll need an external source for GPS location data... There are bluetooth GPS receiver pucks that work with wifi iPads... and there's the BadElf device (disclaimer: I have one - am nothing more than a satisfied customer...) - and you'll need an app that has a full map on the iPad, or, your hotspot to download map data on the fly.
    Thanks...Seems like a lot o trouble.. I do have a dedicated gps and one o my phone.
    03-24-2012 02:02 PM
    Thanks...Seems like a lot o trouble.. I do have a dedicated gps and one o my phone.
    Actually very easy - plug in the BadElf, fire up the app - BadElf locks on to satellites - good to go. Navigon GPS app on an iPad is really, really nice.
    03-24-2012 02:20 PM
    Actually very easy - plug in the BadElf, fire up the app - BadElf locks on to satellites - good to go. Navigon GPS app on an iPad is really, really nice.
    1. What is BadFif? and how do I get it? Cost?
    03-24-2012 02:39 PM
    1. What is BadFif? and how do I get it? Cost?
    Bad Elf GPS
    03-24-2012 02:46 PM

Sounds like an awesome product.... What gps app did you get?. In your opinion how does it work?

Thanks
    03-24-2012 03:43 PM
    Sounds like an awesome product.... What gps app did you get?. In your opinion how does it work?
    I use the Navigon app... IMO, it's the best iOS GPS/Personal Navigation app.
    03-24-2012 03:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD