iPad SIM in an LTE phone?

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm just curious if anyone has (or would be willing to try to) put a new iPad Verizon LTE microSIM in a Verizon LTE phone.

I use an iPhone 4S as my daily driver but I have a Galaxy Nexus sitting around and I'd like to put a data only plan on it and the new iPad plans are the best priced data only plans...but unfortunately I do not have a VZW iPad so they won't let me get one of the SIMs. I'm asking to see if this even works so I can decide whether or not to go through the hassle of trying to obtain an iPad LTE SIM. Thanks!

-mtmjr90

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Wont work verizon uses esn on there network as well .. Swapping a sim only won't work

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

meballard

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Wont work verizon uses esn on there network as well .. Swapping a sim only won't work
Not for 4G LTE devices. On the Verizon 4G network, SIMs can be swapped between devices without any trouble and all existing plans stay intact as is (same data plan, same voice plan, etc).

I swap between a MiFi and Thunderbolt no problem, and there are already multiple reports of putting a SIM from a phone into a iPad with success.

I would imagine the SIM would need to be activated on an iPad 3rd Gen with some kind of recurring automatic monthly billing, but it should work just fine.

Reactions: mtmjr90

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
A data device SIM might work in a phone - but you'd likely only get data... as plans and cellular network provisioning would only be set-up to support data... and there'd be no provisioning in the voice part of the network's billing systems, so chances are high the voice part of the phone would not work at all.

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
A data device SIM might work in a phone - but you'd likely only get data... as plans and cellular network provisioning would only be set-up to support data... and there'd be no provisioning in the voice part of the network's billing systems, so chances are high the voice part of the phone would not work at all.

Well that's my goal;) I'd use it as a hotspot, and since I use Google Voice, I can use the official GV app for texting and GrooVeIP for calls. Also, since it would only be provisioned for data, the cell radios wouldn't be sucking the battery down:D Verizon does have a data-only plan you can buy for smartphones but it's $54.99/month for 2GB, which is a complete rip off.

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, just to confirm... I went out and got a Verizon LTE iPad and stuck the SIM in my Galaxy Nexus and it works! Thanks everyone for the discussion.

itsalexaye

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Correct, you'd have to use a VoIP solution like Skype, Google Talk, Google Voice (via GrooVeIP), etc for calls.

is this a seperate line from your iPhone? because I have my droid bionic which was replaced with my 4S and I still have the LTE sim card for it.

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
is this a seperate line from your iPhone? because I have my droid bionic which was replaced with my 4S and I still have the LTE sim card for it.

Yeah I bought an LTE iPad and have a $30 monthly plan activated on the SIM which I switch between the iPad and my Nexus (as a second line).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, do you get lte on the phone or just standard data?

Thanks in advance.

Delicious LTE:)

...or at least I did when I tried it a few months back. I switched my phone away from VZW so I can't confirm if it still works (though I see no reason why it wouldn't.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73