Charging Times

Tytanious

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday, I used my new iPad until the battery was at 10%. I plugged it in at 12:30am and unplugged it at 8:00am and it was only at 87%! I was shocked! I was using my iPhone 4S wall charger and cable. Anyone else having issues with insanely long charging times?

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The first night, I was playing with it till 3 am, and it wen't down from 84% to 43%, never charged when I bought it. I plugged it in with the iPhone Wall Charger. I woke up and it was at 90%, so I was like huh! I read online, it is better to charge your iPad through the USB port from a computer. I charged it to 100% it was kinda hard to just leave it charging, I wanted to use it. Through out the whole day, I would say it went down to 60% percent, watched some TV shows before I went to bed. It went down to 30%. So went to bed and charged through the USB this time, and I woke up the next day, it was fully charged. I think I read on here, back when iMore was TiPb. Let me see, if I can find the link...

http://www.imore.com/2011/04/14/daily-tips-fastest-charge-ipad2/

Okay, I guess it charges slowly on a USB port, I don't know man it charges pretty quickly on my iMac.

Hopefully, it helps out.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
iPhone wall charger is 5w use the charger that came in you iPad box it's 10w it will charge much faster and will charge your iPhone faster as well .. It going slow because it's getting half the power ( not designed this way )

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Reactions: slide

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
The iPad's 10W makes a huge difference and will charge faster than connecting to an iMac. Still......I'm not too impressed with the charging time even with the 10W charger. It's impossible to put the iPad down during the day for a 3+ hour charge as we all know. Mine took a little over 3 hrs to charge it back up from 10%. I will also add that I prefer long charge times than poor battery life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else noticing the awesome battery life!? Thanx for the input on charging. I was getting worried for a minute when I noticed it taking for ever. Was too lazy to take the iPad charger out the box. Lol

General Tso

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Just so we're clear, are the iPhone and iPad chargers interchangeable with charge time being the only issue? No damage will occur to either device?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I've never used a iPhone charger on my iPad but I know if it's too low wattage the iPad with say not charging thou it will charge very slowly .. I how have ever used my iPad charger on my phone multiple times with no issue but I use my ihome most of the time now

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
You really need to use the iPad 2.1 amp charger. Otherwise it will go very slowly.

To put it in perspective, the new iPad battery has the capacity of a laptop battery. You wouldn't try to charge a laptop with a phone charger and expect rapid charging, right?

I just got a gaming laptop from HP with a dedicated graphics card. The laptop was provided with a higher performance charger because when playing a game it actually draws more current than the standard 15.6 laptop charger can provide.

You need to match the charger to both the battery capacity and the device if you want to meet your expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't know how long mine takes to charge since I do it overnight as needed. I did time it for first hour. Went up 24%. The last 20% always takes longer so I will assume a 5 hour "ish" full charge time. Also, this was baes with iPad OEM 10W charger.

Jon525

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I found that the charging times are long as well. I'm using the charger that came with the iPad. However, I'm not using the cord, not sure if that's a problem.

I notice that when my iPad is connected to my keyboard (bluetooth), screen brightness maxed out and running on LTE, the battery DROPS even though it's plugged in.

To be honest, I'm a little disappointed =s unless it's my fault for over using it.

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
The cord could definitely affect the charging. Without going into the physics, the length and thickness of the wires in the cables, along with how well everything is connected inside the cable itself, are very important.

This is more apparent while it is charging in the 0% - 90% range. Above 90%, the cable starts to be insignificant.

If your cable is long enough and the internal wires are very thin, and the cable has been put together sloppily at the factory, it might not even charge a drained battery if you're using the iPad at the same time regardless of which charger you use.

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It took me approx. 3 hours to get from 30% to 85%, and i did use wall charger and the cable from the box, and i had no apps running while charging,

This sure is a long time to charge.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
It takes forever and a half to charge... also seems to run down fast with the MMORPG I play on it.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Full six hours
Annoying, I even regret to buy ipad3

Really? Just because it takes a while longer for the "larger supplied battery" in the New iPad to charge. Would you rather Apple kept it the same as the first and second generation iPad, and have the battery give out in a day?

I'm happy that Apple went with the larger battery even if it means longer charging times. :)

I use a Belkin charger with my new iPad. 0% to 100% takes 5 hours, so I just charge it over night while I sleep. That way it's ready to go when I get up.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Really? Just because it takes a while longer for the "larger supplied battery" in the New iPad to charge. Would you rather Apple kept it the same as the first and second generation iPad, and have the battery give out in a day?

I'm happy that Apple went with the larger battery even if it means longer charging times. :)

I use a Belkin charger with my new iPad. 0% to 100% takes 5 hours, so I just charge it over night while I sleep. That way it's ready to go when I get up.
I don't think it's just the battery... the original iPad took forever to charge as well. In fact, the new iPad almost reminds me of the original when it comes to how long it takes to charge. The iPhone devices have gotten better/bigger batteries and the charging times haven't changed much, if at all.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's just the battery... the original iPad took forever to charge as well. In fact, the new iPad almost reminds me of the original when it comes to how long it takes to charge. The iPhone devices have gotten better/bigger batteries and the charging times haven't changed much, if at all.

My iPad 1 and 2 never took anywhere near 5 hours to charge. Also, the iPhone and New iPad battery is not a fair comparison due to the size. Those who complain about the charge times can go back to having the iPad 2 battery, but I'm happy with the New iPad battery and don't mind the 5 hour wait. Especially since I'm getting 10 hours of usage out of it. :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner