How much data have you used on your new iPad?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Looks like some folks are beginning to realize faster data networks like LTE and HSPA+ lead to faster data usage (this just in, Ferrari's use up gas faster too!)

But it's also something many of us might not have stopped to consider when putting our new iPads through their paces.

I've used 1GB of data since last Friday, but I've also been running a bunch of tests for iMore on data speed and tethering.

How about you, how much data have you used, and has it gotten you re-considering your plan?

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So Far I have used 276 MB out of 1024 MB, I have 748 MB left. I have Wi-Fi at home and at work, Usually have bad reception at work.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm at about 350 since last Friday. Considering a rarely reach a gig on my phone, I may be upgrading to the 5gb plan before too long!

Sent from my new Verizon 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The WSJ had an article about this today. 1 hour of HD video over LTE is 2 GB., which of you're on the Verizon 2GB $30 plan, is your whole month's usage. But the eye opener in that article is that non-HD video will use double the data on LTE (650MB/hour) than it would on 3G "because the fatter pipe lets more data through." So that means even if you don't change your usage, you'll be using more data anyway.

That stat is counter intuitive to me. Lets say I watch 10 6 minute non HD you tube videos, and let's say each is 30 MB. Why would streaming these videos use more data over LTE. There's only 300MB to transfer. Why does a 4G connection use 650 MB to transfer the 300 MB of data? I know there's encoding overhead, but this much extra overhead is ridiculous.

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The WSJ had an article about this today. 1 hour of HD video over LTE is 2 GB., which of you're on the Verizon 2GB $30 plan, is your whole month's usage. But the eye opener in that article is that non-HD video will use double the data on LTE (650MB/hour) than it would on 3G "because the fatter pipe lets more data through." So that means even if you don't change your usage, you'll be using more data anyway.

That stat is counter intuitive to me. Lets say I watch 10 6 minute non HD you tube videos, and let's say each is 30 MB. Why would streaming these videos use more data over LTE. There's only 300MB to transfer. Why does a 4G connection use 650 MB to transfer the 300 MB of data? I know there's encoding overhead, but this much extra overhead is ridiculous.

Can you post a link. I feel you've confused what they were saying. You will basically use more data because you'll get through the data faster. You WILL change your usage. What took you two hours to go through before, now takes an hour, so you'll be using more data for the next hour.

Unforgiven41

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
So what you're saying is that if I load the same web page on my 3rd Gen iPad, that I'll use more data on 4G vs 3G. Someone needs to test this. I just don't see how that's possible.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
So what you're saying is that if I load the same web page on my 3rd Gen iPad, that I'll use more data on 4G vs 3G. Someone needs to test this. I just don't see how that's possible.

LTE definitely uses more data than 3G. On my LTE Rezound I went through 1GB of data in about 5 days. I Use less than that in a 30 day period on my iPhone 4S.

Sent from my LTE iPad using Tapatalk HD.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Been using LTE quite a bit today. Used 100 MB's today alone and its only 5pm. So now used 400 MB's since Friday evening when I activated it.

Unforgiven41

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
LTE definitely uses more data than 3G. On my LTE Rezound I went through 1GB of data in about 5 days. I Use less than that in a 30 day period on my iPhone 4S.

Sent from my LTE iPad using Tapatalk HD.

It's not that does it use more. How does it use more is my question. You didn't really give a answer to my question. If you're loading a web page on a 3rd gen iPad, what Rene and everyone else is saying is that using LTE will use more data to load that same page as using 3G. I don't see how that's possible. I have my thoughts but I'm going to do a little more research.

jlc

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
It's not that does it use more. How does it use more is my question. You didn't really give a answer to my question. If you're loading a web page on a 3rd gen iPad, what Rene and everyone else is saying is that using LTE will use more data to load that same page as using 3G. I don't see how that's possible. I have my thoughts but I'm going to do a little more research.

It doesn't - the web page doesn't serve up any more data so your still d/ling the same amount of data; just getting it faster.

What they have meant is since you get the data quicker on LTE you may be more inclined to surf more since less time is spent waiting for page loads.

Unless they're doing something weird with the way data is handled on 4G the only thing that changes is how fast you get the data; your browsing habits will determine if you use more or not.

Unforgiven41

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't - the web page doesn't serve up any more data so your still d/ling the same amount of data; just getting it faster.

What they have meant is since you get the data quicker on LTE you may be more inclined to surf more since less time is spent waiting for page loads.

Unless they're doing something weird with the way data is handled on 4G the only thing that changes is how fast you get the data; your browsing habits will determine if you use more or not.

That's my thinking also. It's not that you're getting more data. That's impossible. It's that you are browsing more pages, loading more videos, etc....

What Rene and the rest of the news world are writing is that 4G uses more data, period. That's simply not the case.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I noticed something strange. Under "general - usage - cellular usage" it says I've used 652 MB of data. However, if I go under "cellular data" and select "view account", my Verizon account says I have only used 194 MB. I was starting to panic, as I didn't think I used too much of the LTE but had burned through so much of my 2 GB allowance. But now, I'm thinking something is wrong with the cellular usage accounting. Anyone else seeing similar?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?incedk

Unforgiven41

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I noticed something strange. Under "general - usage - cellular usage" it says I've used 652 MB of data. However, if I go under "cellular data" and select "view account", my Verizon account says I have only used 194 MB. I was starting to panic, as I didn't think I used too much of the LTE but had burned through so much of my 2 GB allowance. But now, I'm thinking something is wrong with the cellular usage accounting. Anyone else seeing similar?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?incedk

Mine showing similar. Roughly 10 mb one way or the other.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro