Screen scrolling stuttering or jittery?

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else notice that screen scrolling is sometimes jittery or stuttering? This is not something I noticed on my iPad 2.

I see it primarily in the Facebook and Twitter apps, although it appears to a very minimal extent in Safari at times.

I tried rebooting the iPad to see if that improved things, and it did, it was gone for a while, until a bit later after opening and closing mulitple apps, etc.

Anybody else seeing this?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Nope. All is well here. Only thing I could think of that may cause an issue like that is using an old backup to restore the new device. Even them I think the odds would be slim but it's possible.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Nope. All is well here. Only thing I could think of that may cause an issue like that is using an old backup to restore the new device. Even them I think the odds would be slim but it's possible.

I did restore from the most recent backup from my old iPad2, but the 2 apps its most notable in were updated via the App store after the restore...

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have definite stuttering: scrolling FB, web pages or documents (magazines, books, work docs) - I am getting a good deal of stuttering. I guess I figured everyone was. I had iPad 2 for all of 5 days before getting the new iPad, so I am new to iPad and just assumed that was status quo. Interested to hear that it may not be - that others are fine.

I have Verizon 4G in case that makes any difference. I am on Wi-fi all day, then on 4G outside the office. I will experiment a bit to see whether it is 4G or wi-fi or both that stutter. It could be the network (ha!)...

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have definite stuttering: scrolling FB, web pages or documents (magazines, books, work docs) - I am getting a good deal of stuttering. I guess I figured everyone was. I had iPad 2 for all of 5 days before getting the new iPad, so I am new to iPad and just assumed that was status quo. Interested to hear that it may not be - that others are fine.

I have Verizon 4G in case that makes any difference. I am on Wi-fi all day, then on 4G outside the office. I will experiment a bit to see whether it is 4G or wi-fi or both that stutter. It could be the network (ha!)...

It's not the network, as I have the Verizon 4G version (64gb), but was only on wi-fi.

Did you restore your new iPad from a backup of your iPad 2? Or did you set it up as brand new? Which size Verizon unit do you have?

I'd hate to have to take this unit back to the Apple Store as everything else seems perfect, but if we're very much in the minority on this, I might have to...

But I'm going to try a restore as new tonight and see if that makes a difference...

Last edited:

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It's not the network, as I have the Verizon 4G version (64gb), but was only on wi-fi.

Did you restore your new iPad from a backup of your iPad 2? Or did you set it up as brand new? Which size Verizon unit do you have?

I'd hate to have to take this unit back to the Apple Store as everything else seems perfect, but if we're very much in the minority on this, I might have to...

But I'm going to try a restore as new tonight and see if that makes a difference...

I have 32GB, and yes - I did restore from a backup, but the backup was all of four days old. Hard for me to imagine what a backup could have to do with it - I have very few apps, just books and magazines that are a *&$% to download. I would want to know a bit more about the logic of backup vs. no backup before I wiped this thing clean and started over from scratch. I would do that only with a Genius, at the Genius bar, so they could see me do it and see whether it helps... then swap out the iPad then and there if it persists. Learned that lesson the hard (and multiple-reset) way w/ smartphones!

We may be a minority so far, but this is a relatively new thread, so lets give it some time to see who else weighs in. We may have more company than we think we do!

Lets keep one another posted on this as we learn more/ experience more w/ this.

Ken_FSU

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I set up mine up as a new iPad and immediately noticed stuttering/choppy scrolling on certain media-intensive pages (CelticsBlog.com was the first site I really noticed it on). Never noticed any stuttering on the iPad 2. Not a huge deal though, most pages are fine.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I set up mine up as a new iPad and immediately noticed stuttering/choppy scrolling on certain media-intensive pages (CelticsBlog.com was the first site I really noticed it on). Never noticed any stuttering on the iPad 2. Not a huge deal though, most pages are fine.

That's really odd. I have not had this happen to me at all.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

ooh, that's not what I was hoping to hear, as it bothers the heck out of me and I started a restore as new on my new iPad late last night (but it hadn't finished by the time I left this morning).

I will try out restoring it as new, but this is a deal breaker for me if it continues and this iPad (despite its otherwise perfect screen) will be going back to the Apple Store if it continues...

I will update this thread, even though it seems this is not a widespread issue...

creighton

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Put me in this camp too. Browsing FB news feed with the FB app side by side with my iPad 2 and New iPad and the iPad 2 is silkly smooth and the New iPad stutters regularly. iPad 2 is 16GB Wi-Fi and New iPad is 32GB Wi-Fi.

c_hack

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Silky smooth. But I have 12Mb down and a solid 802.11n connection. Its night and day compared to my Android Tegra 2 tablet. I'm used to getting a cup of coffee waiting for a page to render on the droidblet. lol

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Silky smooth. But I have 12Mb down and a solid 802.11n connection. Its night and day compared to my Android Tegra 2 tablet. I'm used to getting a cup of coffee waiting for a page to render on the droidblet. lol

I get 15-25 down over Fios on 802.11n, so I don't think its the connection speed, and except for FB which seems to be constantly polling the 'net, everywhere else the jitters occur seem to have fully loaded...

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I get some delayed typing especially in popups that ask for sign in/password. Tap a letter and lags a second.

High res photos have a bit of lag when pinching to zoom.

I've noticed some occasional stuttering when scrolling but I forget where. It wasn't a big deal.

These are minor though. The killer screen makes it easy to look past anything like this. Software updates may help too.

Overall though, it does feel like things are 'just' fast enough where the ipad 2 felt like it had more than enough processor. I'm already guessing i'll appreciate a faster processor in the next ipad. Kind of like the iphone 4S to the iphone 4.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Overall though, it does feel like things are 'just' fast enough where the ipad 2 felt like it had more than enough processor. I'm already guessing i'll appreciate a faster processor in the next ipad. Kind of like the iphone 4S to the iphone 4.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, but if my wife finds out she'll kill me now, long before the next upgrade cycle...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the scroll rate on my new iPad. Smooth and fast, same as it was on my iPad 2.

Sent from my LTE iPad using Tapatalk HD.

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
The restore as new made no difference. And it is definitely more noticeable in 3rd party apps like FB and Twitter.

I stopped in the apple store and checked out a display new iPad and a couple of iPad 2's. The problem with comparison is the lack of the 3rd party apps on the display units. But comparing the same websites in Safari with my new iPad at home, they are roughly the same, maybe mine stutters a tiny bit more.

The iPad 2's on display hardlyn exhibited this behavior at all. Maybe the processor and GPU are having a hard time driving the new Retina display?

At this point I don't know if an exchange for a different unit is going to make a difference...

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Restore as new iPad made no difference.

Yesterday I stopped by the Apple Store to try out the display units. Unfortunately,on my new iPad, the problem seems far worse on 3rd party apps like Facebook, which were not nstalled on the demo units. As far as I could tell, Safari on the demo units exhibited the issue to the same, and maybe perhaps a tiny bit less, than my own new iPad, so I'm not sure exchanging this otherwise perfect u it is going to accomplish anything...

I also tried their iPad 2 demos, which did exhibit the stutter/jitter too, but to an almost unnoticeable level, so maybe it's an iOS 5.1 change to accommodate retina graphics on the iPad 2? I installed 5.1 on my old iPad 2 but had it for only 3-4 days before selling it to make room for the new iPad.

Since comparisons with the demo units were lacking, and given my reluctance to return this one in the hope that this is not the "new normal", I'm tempted to buy another identical unit, test it out and return one of them, but I'm a bit concerned about running afoul of Apple's return policy. Any thoughts on this?

l.i bruce fan

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: After checking out a number of display models, the new iPad as well as the iPad 2, and playing around with another 64 gb Verizon new iPad, I have concluded that what I'm seeing is the "new normal".

By this I mean I think the iPad 2 was smoother and more responsive, albeit slightly, in certain apps and certain functions, but the advantages of the Retina display more than make up for it.

Hopefully a future update of iOS will make the new iPad a little smoother and/or hopefully I will stop noticing it. I already feel better about the issue knowing it is not an issue or defect with my particular iPad, now I'm fully enjoying its advantages over my now sold iPad 2.

Thanks for everyone's input and I hope you are all enjoying your new iPads.

L.I Bruce Fan

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro