Magazines/Newsstand

jimmers

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I thought about subscribing to a couple of magazines using my iPad. However, a lot of the magazines have bad reviews. People indicate that they crash a lot, have trouble downloading them and have subscriptions go missing just to name a few of the problems I've read in the reviews. Is this common? Anyone have good experiences?

The magazines I've been looking at are popular magazines too (Car & Driver and Motor Trend) so I would think that they would be more likely to keep up to date with the digital world. Before I go spending money I would like to know if these reviews are accurate or from people who don't really know what they are doing. LOL They also say there is no background downloading and that you have to keep the app up and running while it downloads or you have to start the download all over again from the beginning.

Thoughts, suggestions or advise greatly appreciated!

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I sub to a few magazines using the Zinio app. I dislike the UI for the app but can muddle through using it. The magazines I sub to, though, look good and now in hi rez are as readable as the print versions.

The only downside is that moving from the iPad 2 to the 3's higher rez causes Zinio to take a few seconds per page to get to full resolution.

I've never had a crash with Zinio.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I had PopSci, PopMech, and Readers Digest on the original iPad... things with the newsstand app got progressively better with each app update, and would occasionally crash... performance on the new iPad is much better... the apps seem to be better suited to the specs of the new device, and screen readability is nothing less than friggin awesome.

jimmers

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I sub to a few magazines using the Zinio app. I dislike the UI for the app but can muddle through using it. The magazines I sub to, though, look good and now in hi rez are as readable as the print versions.

The only downside is that moving from the iPad 2 to the 3's higher rez causes Zinio to take a few seconds per page to get to full resolution.

I've never had a crash with Zinio.

Is there a reason you use Zinio instead of Newsstand?

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Another Zinio user, some subscriptions, some single issues. Newsstand didn't have anything I was interested in.

acecommander

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I only use Newstand for The Daily. Haven't found any other substantial apps out there that I'm willing to plop down money on yet.

If you're really into reading, I have the Kindle app and there are a lot of free books (yes-my cheapness is leaking out:D), as well as some very inexpensive ones available there.

jimmers

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I do have a Kindle as well as the Kindle app. I was interested in viewing magazines on the ipad. I can't do that on my Kindle Touch. I'm going to check out Zinio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I use both Zinio and Newstand. Very happy with both. Downloading much faster on the new iPad but you do have to keep the app open for the downloads to complete. I have never had a problem with missing issues or crashes. I have about 15 mag subscriptions on my iPad between the two formats.

Crucial_Xtreme

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I use both Zinio and Newstand. Very happy with both. Downloading much faster on the new iPad but you do have to keep the app open for the downloads to complete. I have never had a problem with missing issues or crashes. I have about 15 mag subscriptions on my iPad between the two formats.

Yes downloads are much quicker with the new iPad. Thankfully. Although some of the magazines I get have not updated for the new display res. :(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner