Charging issues?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
At Best Buy, the four demo iPads on the prominent display were having some consistent charging issues after the first day. It started to make me wonder if there was a problem with the new iPad's charging system. T be fair, though, one of those four devices was the iPad 2 model.

When I finally chose and bought my iPad New, it was mostly charged (kudos to Apple for that being the rule and not the exception) so I didn't have to charge it (via a dock that seemed to be designed for the iPad 2 but worked fine on my 1) until I went to bed... about 5:30-6am, this morning. When I woke up a few hours later, it had stopped charging. It would start and stop charging out of nowhere, without having been touched.

That's what was happening at Best Buy, so I began to worry.

I decided to use the adapter that came with the unit, just in-case that super battery required a special charger. It charged as-expected. I suspect that that recessed charging port was my problem. It probably was JUST different enough from the 1mm thinner iPad 2 to keep it from getting a great connection.

I still don't know what the problem was at Best Buy - even after talking to their Apple guy.

Have any of you had any charging issues?