iPad 3 owners / previous iPad 2 owners: is new iPad worth $100 more than iPad 2?

FendrGuitPlayr

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Some questions to ponder -

-Interested in jailbreaking and tweaks?

-All stock and keeping it that way?

I knew someone that bought a new iPad and I bought their iPad 2 with JB and
I'm very happy with my bang-for-the buck deal. YMMV?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
While waiting for the Verizon store to open yesterday morning, I was playing on my 2 and thinking of how much I loved it and wondering how there could be anything that would make it feel inferior and subpar. I'm only 34 hours in to having the new iPad, and I honestly can't look at the 2's screen anymore, this one is just that fantastic for me.

My point is, if I had never seen the new one, I would've never questioned that the 2 wasn't the greatest thing out there. So if you stay away from the new one, a 2 will suit you just fine, and you'll love it. Just don't play with the store displays of the new one, or you might find yourself forking over the extra $100!

Sent from my new Verizon 4G iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just went to the store and played with the new one for a good 30 minutes. It's not worth it. The screen is definitely better but to say it makes the 2 look bad is incorrect. I will not be getting the new one because my 2 works and looks just fine. If you don't have an iPad then sure why not get the newest one. But if u have the 2...don't waste you're money. Wait a year.

mrwonka75

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
First iPad I have purchased. I love it, but it absolutely makes no sense to me why I now have to repurchase the apps I use most because there are not HD?!?!? Apple you're killing me!!

Chop

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
First iPad I have purchased. I love it, but it absolutely makes no sense to me why I now have to repurchase the apps I use most because there are not HD?!?!? Apple you're killing me!!

Sounds like you have more of a beef with the developers of said apps than with Apple; to my knowledge, all of the Apple-developed apps are universal. I could be wrong...

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think I can chime in here:

Since October, I have had a 16GB, White, Wi-Fi only iPad2 (had an iPad 1 before that). During that time, I would use my hotspot on my iPhone to tether to the internet when not near a wi-fi source. I actually was really excited about the New iPad (3) because it had built in 4G! (the screen was just a bonus).

I wasnt going to get a New iPad immediately, but had a moment of weakness last friday and picked up a 32GB Verizon at my local BestBuy (for $729). My thought was "I will sell the iPad2 for $300; that will help with the cost."... well, that was the plan at least.

My wife and I used the New Ipad for the past week - in the house, in the car, etc. The screen is awesome and it is fast, fast, fast! But what we realized is that we really didnt notice that much of a difference between it and the iPad2. ESPECIALLY not $429 worth (the difference after we sold the iPad2).

Yes, we could have gotten the 16GB 4G for $100 less, but I dont think it is even worth the $329. difference.

Yes, we could have gotten the 16GB Wi-fi only for $229 less, but I dont think it is worth $200 more than my 16GB iPad 2. .

If I did not have an iPad and had to choose between it and the 2 on the shelf, there is no question that it would be worth the extra $100. But anymore than that? I just dont see the benefit.

So, I have returned my New iPad to Best Buy. I'm gonna keep my iPad 2 and cross my fingers for a 7" 4G version in the future! :)

Reactions: Amy wineBerry

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
I think I can chime in here:

Since October, I have had a 16GB, White, Wi-Fi only iPad2 (had an iPad 1 before that). During that time, I would use my hotspot on my iPhone to tether to the internet when not near a wi-fi source. I actually was really excited about the New iPad (3) because it had built in 4G! (the screen was just a bonus).

I wasnt going to get a New iPad immediately, but had a moment of weakness last friday and picked up a 32GB Verizon at my local BestBuy (for $729). My thought was "I will sell the iPad2 for $300; that will help with the cost."... well, that was the plan at least.

My wife and I used the New Ipad for the past week - in the house, in the car, etc. The screen is awesome and it is fast, fast, fast! But what we realized is that we really didnt notice that much of a difference between it and the iPad2. ESPECIALLY not $429 worth (the difference after we sold the iPad2).

Yes, we could have gotten the 16GB 4G for $100 less, but I dont think it is even worth the $329. difference.

Yes, we could have gotten the 16GB Wi-fi only for $229 less, but I dont think it is worth $200 more than my 16GB iPad 2. .

If I did not have an iPad and had to choose between it and the 2 on the shelf, there is no question that it would be worth the extra $100. But anymore than that? I just dont see the benefit.

So, I have returned my New iPad to Best Buy. I'm gonna keep my iPad 2 and cross my fingers for a 7" 4G version in the future! :)

I actually appreciate this post. I'm still on the fence as to whether I will upgrade from my iPad 2 and get the 16GB Wi-fi or 4G version. This put it into perspective nicely. Just have to determine if the difference between what I would sell my iPad 2 for and the price of the new iPad is worth it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're using the iPad for business use, I don't see a need for a 3G/4G/LTE model, especially if you already own a smartphone.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Boobie12

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Unless you're using the iPad for business use, I don't see a need for a 3G/4G/LTE model, especially if you already own a smartphone.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Maybe it's for commuters who don't drive. If I did not drive I would have defiantly got he 4g version. I'd rather read on my iPad then my iPhone especially if people have long bus rides or something it perfect for those situation not only business. Especially in downloading PDF for classes.

Reactions: a4abt

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's for commuters who don't drive. If I did not drive I would have defiantly got he 4g version. I'd rather read on my iPad then my iPhone especially if people have long bus rides or something it perfect for those situation not only business. Especially in downloading PDF for classes.

Point well taken. ;) Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

lenababyy

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased an ipad2 and I was in love with it, being my first ipad. I got the 32g wifi version because where I live you need to sign up for a 2nd data plan and I simply didnt need another monthly bill when i never came close to my 2G data for my iphone and rarely need to tether becaue there is wifi everywhere I go.
So.... I got my ipad 2 just before rumors of the new ipad release started circulating.... as a result I went back to the store I got it from and having a friend work there had them extend my return date for a month which would give me until after the speculated announcement date. When it was announced I went back and had it extended again for another month so I could keep it until the new one came out (and even for a while after incase they ran out of stock on release day).
I was able to get my new ipad on the release date and I exchanged it outright. So for me, it was a no brainer..... While I love the new display, thats pretty much as far as it goes for me and since new ipad cant be jailbroken yet I actually miss my ipad 2 a lot. I'm sure that will change in time.
With that being said if I could not have returned my ipad 2 and had to sell it for substancially less.... I probably wouldnt have bothered to get the 3.
If you are going with the two however, I would say just get it used. The resale value depreciated when the 3 came out making it a good time to buy it used for much less.
If you are set on buying new, go with the 3. Not only will the resale value be higher when you decide to get the new model when it comes out but you also have to keep in mind that as time goes on apps will be desiged for the 3... and the two will become old news sooner, just as the ipad1 did.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh