Is your new iPad getting unusually hot?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
My original iPad and IPad 2 stayed cool as a cucumber no matter what I did with them. (Insert your own Flash joke here). The new iPad has been the same for me so far, but we're getting emails from some of you saying it's getting hot, specially towards the back corner.

Anyone notice this? Maybe during LTE or 1080p video playback or Retina gaming or something? (Anything that would tax the internals)

My iPhones have always gotten hot, especially when tethering or when they can't find a radio. So far, so good with the iPad. Anyone else?

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Ya, lower right hand corner... never had this happen on my iPad. The attribution to LTE isn't adding up though, considering I have a WiFi unit.

dalvik

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
was playing ME Infiltrator. it got hot at the lower left corner. almost the same as my SG2 Lte when i tether it with my ipad..
i think it's actually the processor.. i'm not sure if the battery gets hot at all usualy on handhelds its always the processor... oh and my ipad is a 16gb wifi only so in this case i think the quadcore graphics chip gets hot while trying to process the graphics

Last edited:

Ken_FSU

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
My Wifi model has been running hot all day.

Really weird for an iPad.

It's not an LTE thing, as several of my friends with Wifi only models have noticed the same.

I think it's a battery thing.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
My Wifi model has been running hot all day.

Really weird for an iPad.

It's not an LTE thing, as several of my friends with Wifi only models have noticed the same.

I think it's a battery thing.

I think it's a set up thing. Everyone is getting all their apps downloaded and music and stuff.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my new iPad LTE model for about 3 hours now and not even warm at all.

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk.

sphinx23

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I noticed it being a little warm but wasn't much of an issue with my leather case I'm using right now from my old original Ipad

gameboy213

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Very warm on the left side after consistent use. Actually hot enough that I was concerned last night. I am on my home wifi and not LTE so that isn't the issue. At least not on my device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Finally got a chance to run LTE nonstop for about 2 hrs and the whole left side of my iPad is considerably warm. It's a distance from being uncomfortable but you will notice it if you're upgrading from iPad 2. This one feature will definitely be welcomed next winter.

anon414489

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say that it gets hot, but my new iPad does get warm on both sides of the 30-pin dock connector. The left side is noticeably more warm than the right.

canguler87

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the 32GB - 4G and after %90 of battery, actually it does not get a little bit warm. It's burning like hell! (it still doesnt give any warning)

I'm now restoring for a clean setup in fact I just bought it yesterday :) A solution must be find to that cause it disturbs me even while holding the device. Otherwise I will use my iPad as an iGrill !!!

Some people are keep on saying its natural but it can not be natural!

bdegrande

May 23, 2010
Visit site
The more powerful processor you put in a tight space, the hotter it gets. My i7 Macbook Air runs a lot hotter than my old Core 2 Duo model, and Apple actually lowered the clock speed on the Core 2 Duo model because the previous line had heat issues. I suspect that playing graohic intensive games is going to cause the biggest problem.

Just wait until the "no compromise" Windows 8 tablets come out, which will need enough power to run a full (even bloated) multitasking multiuser OS).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2