Does this make me a bad son?

ChrisxJacobsen

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
So, about 4-5 months ago I was talking to my mom on the phone about whatever random things, and she mentions how she wants to buy my iPad2 when I want to upgrade.

Now my mom is not anywhere near technology savvy, I mean her husband returned their wireless router because they couldn't figure it out, if that gives you a small window into her abilities. She doesn't even text on her "dumbphone" cause she doesn't want to pay for it or bother with it.

So, Apple has their "New iPad" event last week, and I call up my mom and say "Remember when you said you wanted to buy my iPad2 when I want to upgrade?"

Long story short my mom is buying my white 16GB WiFi only iPad2 for $550 from me (the wife said I can only get the new iPad if I don't spend a dime out of pocket, which is only fair, cause we are saving for a house).

NOW NOW NOW, before I get flamed from everyone, I do have a BodyGuardz full body protection, a blue smart cover, and a travel case for it that I am giving her as well as another wireless router for their house (my old Linksys one).

I don't feel bad at all, cause I get the new iPad the day it comes out and my mom and her husband get to upgrade from their dinosaur of a 17" Hp laptop that is almost 8 years old. Also, I told her I would help set it up for her and keep all the apps on it that I have already paid for (easily $150 including all the music creation apps I have bought) as well as be her tech support when she has questions...

What does everyone else think though?

Chris J.

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Lol, the fact that you have to ask on a forum makes it seem you may feel bad. Moral dilemma? :p

Personally speaking though, I've had my parents do similar things for me.. they know they are over paying but they're your parents, deep down they don't really care anyway or at least - that's been my experience.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If that is what your mom wanted to do that is fine. However, I would not have bought a "used" iPad 2 knowing that I could have bought the White 16GB/WiFi iPad 2 "NEW" from Apple for only $399. Yeah, I know you are giving her free apps, but it doesn't change the fact that it was used. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Thats what parents do. She may know she is over paying but she is doing it to help you out. That's all that matters to her.

Link

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thats what parents do. She may know she is over paying but she is doing it to help you out. That's all that matters to her.

I agree with this comment. Don't feel bad about it and relax. She'll enjoy the iPad 2 and you enjoy your new iPad.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

True, I never thought of looking at it this way, but it makes sense, though. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site

Oh, how do you know? Maybe she thinks she's getting a fair deal. It isn't, really. For less than that she can get a new iPad with the same specs but also the retina display. This display may be vital for her to enjoy the iPad assuming she's got some older eyes with the attendant problems.

If he said in his OP that he told his mom the fair value of the 2 but that his shrewish wife demanded he spend nothing to get the new iPad so will mom kick in stupid money so he can please himself while he cheats her, well, then that's a different story.

sbalchand

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't do this to my mom.
But here are some questions you may want to consider :-
How much will you get for it on eBay or Craigslist?
Would you tell her the truth as you've posted it on this forum?

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If it were my mom I would just get her the iPad 3 if she wanted a iPad. Don't think I can charge mom for anything at all.

Via Tapatalk

geobernd

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I am actually handing my old one down as a gift to Mom and Dad - I think that would be the way to go - maybe convince the wife that it's a much nicer gesture and she will still agree to you buying the new one...

ChrisxJacobsen

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I did tell my mom that the iPad 2 was going down to $399. She was happy enough paying the price knowing that I take very good care of my things, and is happy to let me enjoy a new iPad, and is excited enough to be getting a new toy for her and her husband to use.

I didn't once actually feel bad, but I thought it would be fun to post on the forums and I think that this post is the most responded to post I have ever made on a forum.

See all you suckers tomorrow with my "New iPad".

Chris J

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2