Pre-Ordered iPad 3 wifi on its way but contemplating LTE

clayton006

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Question for the masses,

I have Verizon LTE in my area and I have a LTE MIFI that is month to month at the moment. I use it almost daily. I pulled the trigger on wifi only iPads (one for me and the wife). I'm thinking that I should ditch the hotspot and just take that monthly fee.

I am thinking about seeing if I can take my iPad wifi shipment on Friday to my apple retail store and hopefully exchange them for LTE versions (and pay the difference), but that will probably not happen due to supply.

I mostly use my MIFI at my desk at work (which sadly doesn't give me LTE reception until I walk outside) and for my on-call work. I also plan on using my tethering with my 3DS and Vita as well. My wife and I both use our iPads at coffee shops and other places occasionally, but wifi quality is hit or miss in those places.

Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful.

As I see them-
Reasons for waiting on iPad LTE:
iPad LTE and tethering will be all in one device
Less chargers to carry (have car chargers for both iPad and MIFI though)
Maybe longer battery life during tethering
GPS in the iPad LTE
Since MIFI is month to month, no warranty if it breaks (but can always get another one on contract)

Reasons for keeping MIFI:
MIFI is more portable and easier to carry (if I'm using it for laptop only)
If iPad breaks or reboots my internet is still in business with my MIFI
I don't need to carry around my iPad with me everywhere I go outside the house (similar to the first reason in this list)

Last edited:

jimpilot

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with my Verizon guy and they will transfer my MiFi account over to the iPad so I ordered the LTE version.

Won't help I know but if you get one you can keep the same account.

dcsr23#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'd keep your hotspot. Like you said it's more portable. The ipad GPS still works as long as you have a hotspot/wifi to connect to.

I have the verizon LTE hotspot on my phone (with unlimited data/hotspot) so I'm just sticking with wifi model...

Link

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd keep your hotspot. Like you said it's more portable. The ipad GPS still works as long as you have a hotspot/wifi to connect to.

I have the verizon LTE hotspot on my phone (with unlimited data/hotspot) so I'm just sticking with wifi model...

This option seems the best way to go. If you have a Verizon 4G phone, you can activate a mobile hotspot feature for $30 that is unlimited. I think this might only be for users who already have unlimited data on their account. However, it is a cheaper option than paying $30 for 2GB on the iPad plus other devices can use it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The ipad GPS still works as long as you have a hotspot/wifi to connect to.
The wifi iPads use network-assisted GPS only - they don't have an internal GPS receiver. So - if the wifi network you're connected to is not in or erroneous in the database the device connects to that associates the IP address with coordinates, you either will not get a location, or a wrong location.

If you desire GPS on a wifi-only iPad, you need an external source for GPS data - either bluetooth puck, or - a BadElf device that plugs into the charging port.

dandbj13

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I have been back and forth on the issue. My first iPad 1 was wifi. It was the first to come out. It took 30 days for the 3G version to be available. I sold the wifi only and bought the 3G version as soon as possible. Having persistent connectivity changes the experience, greatly.

When the iPad 2 came out, I thought I would save a little money and go with wifi only. I hardly took it out of the house. I got so sick of the process of tethering, and burning my phone battery for the sake of getting a connection for my iPad.

This time, it is 4G AT&T. The iPad is a different device with connectivity than it is without.

billybaldin

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
This option seems the best way to go. If you have a Verizon 4G phone, you can activate a mobile hotspot feature for $30 that is unlimited. I think this might only be for users who already have unlimited data on their account. However, it is a cheaper option than paying $30 for 2GB on the iPad plus other devices can use it.

I talked to verizon about this. My wife and I both have iPhones we have had on the unlimited plan for years. The only way we could tether unlimited is if we grandfathered that in as well. We didn't. So the only options we have for tethering are for the data plans they currently have.
We decided the best way for us to go is to use the pay as you go option. The prices are the same as the contract prices. The difference is we won't be locked in to paying EVERY month for data.

Billy

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Saw that Verizon has LTE coming to Northern Jersey and I already get it in NYC, so I'm now deciding if I should take my iPad $$$ to Verizon or continue with AT&T.

clayton006

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah if I had a verizon 4G phone with tethering I would probably just switch that to the iPad device and pay the fee.

I think I may stay with the hotspot. Mostly because it is easier to carry and I don't carry my iPad everywhere I go anyway.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro