So who's not in a hurry...

sunrat39

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the original iPad 1 64GB wifi only that I bought last year for 399 (brand new). Obviously I got a good deal so I didn't bother with the iPad 2. I told myself that when the 3rd iPad comes out that I will upgrade to it. Well, the new iPad is out and honestly, I don't believe I'll make the jump. I basically use my iPad for school work, checking emails and playing a few games. Yea, I would love to play the newest and greatest games out there but I don't have time for it and I don't know how I feel about playing intense 3d graphic kind of games on a tablet. For what I do, the original iPad is still fine.

500 or so dollars for an updated iPad seems a lot considering I could get a nice laptop for the same price (and let's be honest a laptop cannot be replaced right now by a tablet). So, I will try getting a new battery for my 4 year old Sony laptop (Win 7, dual core, 2gb but going to 4, 250 HDD, webcam and so on...) and just "revive" my laptop.

I don't do photo/video editing on my iPad and honestly, I think a project like that would be done better on a laptop anyhow. 5mp camera? Nice but I have an iPhone 4s. Who really uses a tablet for taking pictures and video recording?

Anyway, if you have the new iPad that's awesome but I just don't see MYSELF buying one unless it's an impulse buy kind of thing.

zenduo

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The new iPad does look nice, however I personally think the iPad2 display is more than enough, certainly not worth the upgrade. I think the only thing for me is the new camera. However I hardly use the cam on my current one so again not worth the upgrade. IPhone 5 is what I'm waiting for!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I still have my iPad1, iPad classic, iPad original....what ever you wanna call it lol :) and I enjoy it thoroughly & runs great. I won't invest in another iPad until this one decides to call it quits on me. It's been trucking along just fine, this April will be 3yrs(I think lol) that I've had it, got it when it came out.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The new iPad does look nice, however I personally think the iPad2 display is more than enough, certainly not worth the upgrade. I think the only thing for me is the new camera. However I hardly use the cam on my current one so again not worth the upgrade. IPhone 5 is what I'm waiting for!

My sentiments, exactly. My brother bought him and his daughter the new iPad and love it. It's their first iPad and he conceded that if he had already owned a previous iPad (specifically, the iPad 2), he would not have gotten the new one. He was comparing the new one with his girlfriend's iPad 2.

Just Me, D
Tapatalk (iPhone 4S)

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I totally disagree with the premise. IF the issue can be fixed by software, it will be and everyone will get the "fix". If it turns out to be a hardware/design thing, the time to identify the problem, engineer the fix and retool the manufacturing/production line would be 6-months at a minimum... Not many people will wait that long IF they are going to purchase the device at all...

Most glitches are fixed in a short period of time without a recall. The antenna problem just needed a bumper. iOS 5.01 helped the battery issue a lot. If it takes 6 mos to fix a problem, then I'll wait 6 mos. I still have my iPad Classic and it works fine for now. The new iPad will have to offer me value for what I'd be spending. I plan to upgrade by early August one way or the other. The fact some folks just can't wait doesn't mean much of anything to me. If a couple of weeks go by and there's no problems, that might move up my schedule. Just the same I'd like to make sure it works properly before buying, if I buy.
One of the reasons I've stayed clear of the Android tablets is that they seem to upgrade almost every couple of months or so. AT least Apple does it only once a year and it doesn't leave the previous products behind nearly as quickly.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to get the "New" iPad, which seems just like the iPhone 4S, a reboot with some minor improvements.

The only thing that I find the iPad 2 lacking is the camera.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Lots of interesting perspectives. For me, I just haven't found a niche for a tablet. I had a BB PB for a while and sold it. I never used it. I'm sure I would love the iPad at first, but not sure I could really find a use for it that my MacBook and iPhone couldn't do. I'm sure others couldn't live without their iPad, but I just don't need it.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The iPad is a great in between for light use, Internet... Reading... Facebook... So I use it on the couch and at work during my downtime.

For all else I use my laptop, just easier to multitask. iOs should support windows for the iPad.

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
The only hurry I was in was to see if the retina display was going to be as amazing on the iPad as it is on the iPhone. That was the huge deciding factor, because I plan to read and do a lot of school work on it.

While the screen is insanely good, especially when next to an iPad 2, I don't feel the mass need to throw down the cash on one right away... So, I shall wait. Plus, by the time I get one, hopefully all my favorite apps will have been updated for the retina display.

As of right now, I feel a more urgent need to get my hands on a cheap Craigslist iPad 2. Possibly to just hold me out till I get a "new iPad". :cool:

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Just curious mostly, but what did people used to spend $600-$900 on every year or two before smartphones and tablets came along and we all got convinced we needed to buy them lol?

djdan

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
An IPad is an awesome, convenient luxury purchase driven very much by one's financial position. If you have the available funds, the 'new' iPad is amazing. I upgraded from the 2 and I don't regret it one bit. But each and everyone's own financials and personal use case will dictate if that is the best decision.

saynt j

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have tech ADD... I seem to get a new phone every 4 months. Retail.

With the ipad2 I don't use it as much as my phone, so its novelty and new electronic smell stays a lot longer.

I'd say my next tablet purchase would have to almost completely replace my laptop... That's what I'm expecting in the coming year(s).

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well... I crossed the line today and went ahead and got one. Oh well.....

Wow... from your posts I was sure you weren't going "in" this early... congrats on the new toy! I may be joining you soon... got a buddy who will buy my iPad2... which one did you get? (size, color, provider, wifi/LTE?)

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, it boiled down to this. I wanted 3g or LTE which I didn't have. That made it either the iPad 2 or 3. For a hundred bucks more I got twice the processing power, more RAM and something that will stay "current" longer. While the display is nice, it wasn't a major factor. I'll be playing with the dictation thing tomorrow. I hope it hears more accurately than Siri does on my iPhone 4s. Ther were a couple more reasons, but those were the biggies...