Strongly considering an iPad 3 but need some help?

hakoreh

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi

This is my first post here and I hope you can help me.

I'm currently using Android, I have an Android phone and I had an Android tablet - the sorry Motorola Xoom. I bought it for around $800 and only got $400 for it on eBay. I promised my wife and I that the next tablet I get would not drop in value almost six months later. While I realize I wouldn't be able to get full price, I'd get something close. So I knew the next iPad was coming out and promised I'd wait for it to see how it would stack up again others.

In a few words I have to say I'm very impressed and very tempted to cross over to the dark side. I'm concerned though about a few things and may be you can help me out.

I watch all my movies and shows through Plex so I'm not worried about MP4 only videos but I do worry is the no flash issue. Thank GD I have a wonderful and very smart 2 yr old at home and of course he loves Elmo and likes to play the games that Sesame Street has online as well as other kids' sites. I tried to visit Sesame Street with my friend's iPad but all it said was I needed flash which of course isn't available. I know that some sites have made a HTML5 page available but I see Sesame Street hasn't. Is there anyway around this? Is there a browser that will allow my son to use flash and see all the content?

I realize all my paid apps on Android I won't be able to use on an iPad which sucks but what can I do..

So please if you can help me out, answer my question(s), I'd appreciate it thanks

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
There are a few browsers you can buy in the app store that play flash content like Photon and iSwifter.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you really need Flash I would strongly recommend that you stick to Android. While some of the browsers in the app store do advertise the ability to play flash content, they don't do it very well for every site that requires flash. For example, I went to that sesame street site that you mentioned here using the "Skyfire" browser that does display flash content. From my screenshots you will see that it did find the video and was even able to open it after a bit, however, that is where it ended. From my last screenshot you'll notice that it would not play the video at all.... I have found this to be the case on a few other sites that I've loaded with flash content as well using Skyfire. This is why I say, if Flash is important to you don't leave Android for an iOS device. HTML5 just is't the same...

ad310dce-4356-ccd8.jpg

ad310dce-4362-190e.jpg

ad310dce-436d-bde6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

MzNewEra

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think you will enjoy the iPad much better

I use to own an android tablet (glaxay) and thought that it was awesome. Until I realized I found myself bored with it constantly. So I decided to get the iPad, and I have had both the 1&2. I absolutely love my iPad more than life, lol. Now it doesn't have flash, but I promise you....you won't miss it. You will find that the more reliable OS is worth the sacrifice. My 3yr old loves the games and Netflix, he loves to read books.....so much so we had to break down and get him one for Christmas. They are lots of seasme street games and books, you can also get lots of videos from iTunes some are free. I am sure your kid would get a kick out of the vast selection of kids games, again many of them are free, that he won't miss seasme street after awhile. The iPad 2 is great so you really wouldn't be missing much if you opt for that one rather than the new iPad. I am sad because I sold mine on eBay, 2 weeks before they announced the new iPad and was disappointed, might as well kept the 2. But, hey I am getting retina display and only out of 100 bucks so resale value is great, especially if u jump on it before announcement. Hope this helps, remember once you go apple you will never go back, lol!

Last edited:

2oh1

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Flash is such an interesting topic. Like you, I was nervous about buying an iPad because iPads don't do flash. You'll be amazed by how many sites are abandoning flash. And among those that stick with flash, many have mobile versions with html5 serving up the content instead of flash, and that provides a better experience anyway.

I bought an iPad 2 last year. I bought the base 16 gig wifi only model, thinking it would be neat to own. Well, I was blown away by how much I ended up using it.

I do think that, maybe 5 years from now, Android will iron out its issues and really become a formidable tablet OS, but who knows how amazing iOS will be by then too?

Go with an iPad. You won't regret it. And, frankly, there's no better time than now. The new iPad is a really big step above the iPad 2. For anyone considering switching to iOS, the time is perfect, especially since there will probably be a major iPhone release in a few months too.

Cheers!

dsignori

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I too will be new to iPad and iOS. I have a Android phone which I love (Galaxy Nexus) as well as a Android tablet ( the XOOM , which is OK for the most part, but somewhat lacking mostly due to lack of apps IMO). I have ordered the new iPAD as well and am very excited. I have to say that the amount of tablet specific apps (as well as the new iPAD screen) is what converted me. The new ecosystem will be interesting to navigate, but I am looking forward to it very much.

As for Sesame Street ... I noticed that the app store lists "PBS Kids Video" as an iPAD app and the description mentions Sesame Street video by name. So for that specific show, you should be just fine, and probably better with teh iPAD I would think.

Good luck !

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yeah, i had no problem finding suitable apps for the kiddo. They're much better than flash websites on a multitouch screen anyways. My daughter likes pbskids.org on the pc (with the mouse and kb) but when i had a Touchpad (with flash) for a few days, she had a rough time using the website.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I too was worried about Flash lack and so got Photon which is advertised as running Flash well. It's sort of sketchy to say the least. I find myself not using it at all which means that sometimes I will hit a site where I can't see the Flash content.

I have found, though, that more and more recently, this hasn't been an issue with me. I think Flash is past tech and the sites know it so are moving to tech the iPad handles. Then too, the iPad so dominates the tablet market that it itself is dictating to site owners that they must accommodate the Apple products or lose a good deal market themselves.

If you really MUST MUST have Flash, stick with Android. There are some nice offerings coming up too one I think almost goes retina although the processor is pretty lame compared to the New iPad. If you're willing to take a bit of a leap, get the New iPad.

I know of NO ONE who has move to an iPad and regretted it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods