Wifi or LTE iPad 3? Which would you buy?

Will you buy a Wifi or LTE iPad 3?

• Wifi

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • LTE

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Wifi for sure. Will use TetherMe with my iPhone 4. That is, until a JB for the iPhone 5 is found (and TetherMe gets updated), then it will be iPad HD/3 with iPhone 5. Would there be a better combo than that?

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Thought long and hard about 4G LTE but like many, no LTE in my area and probably not for a while. I have hotspot enabled on my iPhone already, so really no need for the 4G version of the iPad. Plus downloading movies from iTunes, I'd use wifi anyways just due to file size - would blow through any cell data limit in no time. And if I need cell data access (if no wifi) I always have my iPhone with me. My iPad 2 is wifi only and I have not felt I'm missing anything by not having cell data on it. Maybe 1 in 100 times it would have been handy. Saves me $130 too. So have an iPad 64gb WiFi on its way the 16th :D

Last edited:

rclark1114

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
No interest in the LTE models at all. I don't want to pay for another data plan. If I need to, I will add the hotspot feature to my phone plan.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I've been patiently waiting for an Apple LTE device. I hoped it would have been in the iPhone 4s but obviously it was not. Now that the new iPad has it I'm in & the fact that Verizon is offering free hotspot is a huge bonus.

Practically everywhere I travel for work has VZW LTE so I will benefit from it. I can wait for he 16th :D

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the Wi-Fi iPad, because almost everywhere I go, I either have Wi-Fi access or a 3G network (ok, it's not 4G, but still) on my iPhone, and since I can use the Personal Hotspot feature for free, why not use it. It saves 130$.

m_jameson1

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I am having a personal battle with this. I thought I had decided on the 3G/4G 32 gig, however I just learned that for the price of 1GB of data on the iPad, I can tether 2GB of data from my Verizon iPhone without loosing my unlimited (grandfathered) data.....

I have a feeling I may be going with a 32 white wifi.

I have serious doubts that I will ever need data, because as everyone has stated, there is wifi nearly everywhere AND i can only see needing/wanting data when you are on a long roadtrip, in which case i can tether lol.

my personal battle continues for another day or so :p

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I am having a personal battle with this. I thought I had decided on the 3G/4G 32 gig, however I just learned that for the price of 1GB of data on the iPad, I can tether 2GB of data from my Verizon iPhone without loosing my unlimited (grandfathered) data.....

I have a feeling I may be going with a 32 white wifi.

I have serious doubts that I will ever need data, because as everyone has stated, there is wifi nearly everywhere AND i can only see needing/wanting data when you are on a long roadtrip, in which case i can tether lol.

my personal battle continues for another day or so :p

Personally, my reasons are for convenience. It can be a nuisance to turn on wifi hotspot on phone everytime to use the ipad when out and about. Not to mention the hit to phone battery. The ipad has much better battery life.

That said, if this were 3G only, i'd go with wifi. LTE and free hotspot makes it worthwhile though IMO along with opening up the option for Verizon. My AT&T service has been pathetic in recent months.

There's also some side benefits like GPS for the retina maps & nav apps. My daughter gets a kick out of seeing maps and the dot where we are when on road trips.

Is this worth an extra 130? For me, yes, especially every time you can just pick up the ipad and start using it immediately and not worry about tethering. Like the ipad 2, i should be able to resell it for 650-700 in a year or so anyways.

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The fact that the data plan can be enabled/disabled as needed and I don't need to sign a contract for it, I'm LTE all the way. I could tether with my iPhone but I have a thing against burning up my phone's battery to use the internet on my iPad.

EDIT

There's also some side benefits like GPS for the retina maps & nav apps. My daughter gets a kick out of seeing maps and the dot where we are when on road trips.

Oh man I didn't even THINK of this.. I have a car charger for the iPad.. using it as a huge GPS unit on a road trip would be AWESOME. Thanks for the idea ;)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I went with WiFi/LTE because I like having a backup. A week ago we lost our power due to a storm and our WiFi was out for several hours. I was still able to use my iPad on AT&T's HSPA+ area thanks to getting the LTE model.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.