Ives and others have talked about the ideas that led to iPad. As in - "What do you actually NEED in device? Do we really need a keyboard, or a mouse or a track pad, or a stylus and a disk drive? Can we get rid of all this hardware entirely and still create an effective solution?"

The iPhone evolved in part from the iPod, but its "Stripped Back" approach to design is clear to see. The success of that approach liberated the design team to be equally ruthless with the idea of a tablet computer. These had always been clunky, bulky, complex and heavy - because the were trying to be laptops AS WELL as tablets. Being bold and radical led to iPad; and iPad2 represents refinement of that ideal. Steve called this the post PC age; but can this format ever be a true replacement for laptops - can they become truly productive tools?

Will iPad3 be a further refinement of the existing format; or will this be a truly productive tool?
    Last edited by plunder; 08-31-2011 at 05:56 PM.
    08-31-2011 05:54 PM
    Ives and others have talked about the ideas that led to iPad. As in - "What do you actually NEED in device? Do we really need a keyboard, or a mouse or a track pad, or a stylus and a disk drive? Can we get rid of all this hardware entirely and still create an effective solution?"

The iPhone evolved in part from the iPod, but its "Stripped Back" approach to design is clear to see. The success of that approach liberated the design team to be equally ruthless with the idea of a tablet computer. These had always been clunky, bulky, complex and heavy - because the were trying to be laptops AS WELL as tablets. Being bold and radical led to iPad; and iPad2 represents refinement of that ideal. Steve called this the post PC age; but can this format ever be a true replacement for laptops - can they become truly productive tools?

Will iPad3 be a further refinement of the existing format; or will this be a truly productive tool?
    Well this is a very very vague question.. what would you consider a truly productive tool? A lot of people already consider the iPad to be a productive tool.

If by "productive" you mean it would be able to do all the things a computer can do then, no. The iPad isn't going to make some massive jump in the next generation and now be able to do all of the things your computer used to.
    09-01-2011 12:08 PM
    Well this is a very very vague question.. what would you consider a truly productive tool? A lot of people already consider the iPad to be a productive tool.

If by "productive" you mean it would be able to do all the things a computer can do then, no. The iPad isn't going to make some massive jump in the next generation and now be able to do all of the things your computer used to.
    agreed we are still some ways before we can see that happening.

Although if you were to throw an ipad back 10 or even 5 years, it would be more then enough for a all you need, and for $500 it would be a super sweet deal. Even if we just use the iPad one for reference.

I mean to some the ipad is perfect, my friends parents love theirs, im sure my dad would too, it has what they need, for me, its handy but not so necessary when I could do more with my computer.
    09-01-2011 04:14 PM
    The iPad does what it is designed to do perfectly- better than anything else out there. So until Apple decdes to change the purpose of the iPad, it will remain essentially the same. Look at the iPod- ten years later and it does pretty much what it did ten years ago (with addition of video and photos) and this is n purpose. When Apple wanted the iPod to do more, they create an entirely new product in the iPod Touch.

There is a balance between technology, customer desire, price and ease of use. Apple has always let these things help define it's products.
    10-11-2011 01:15 PM
    yes, the iPad is already extremely productive. as apples vision of the iPad and what it what meant to do it already enormously exceeds that. The iPad 3 is going to run the same iOS 5 so its not going to automatically turn into a macbook air. thats not what apple has intended and what the iPad was created. As for the view of the future of the iPad i can see it taking strides in improving on what it is meant for. An even better screen, better cameras for face timing, easier use and more intuitive features like siri, and just improving on ways to make consuming content as simple and as great of an experience as they can.
    01-03-2012 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD